Mystery World: Creative Design

Earlier today, I was listening to Sublime and Beck. I was in the middle of "Where It's At" and pondering about a set idea that had been rattling around in my skull when I realized I really needed help with the storyline (but not so much with the mechanics - those are set for now). I'll post a set design discussion once I get this closed up.

The World
This set is a top-down mystery and crime world. Think "film noir" but on a planar scale, or maybe Gotham, except more than just a city - an entire world. A sudden rash of crimes and mysterious occurrences wrack this (as of yet unnamed) plane. Independent detectives and major organizations attempt to solve this rash of crimes as it becomes clear an (as yet unnamed massive planar event, maybe the coming of an Eldrazi) is about to happen.

What I Need Help With
Everything. Naming characters, new planeswalkers, returning planeswalkers, major plot details, Story Spotlights, massive planar occurences, plane naming, names of the cities on the plane... anything is appreciated.

Any Other Questions?
Direct-message me if you want to know about the mechanics or anything else. Any and all help is appreciated (save for card concepts), and I intend to complete this set by October (made on MSE, full art found, uploaded to planessculptors.net).

Comments

• edited April 2018
    A wacky suggestion from me.

Plane (world) name: Valeria
    City names: Yorkport, Skydale, Hoofington, Vanderburg
    Returning planeswalker: Narset, Tamiyo, (Great detectives), Daretti (For the inventing and stuffs)
    Major story spotligh 1: The invention of magical nuclear bombs and major magical nuclear bombing on some of the cities.
    Major story spotlight 2: The discovery of anomalous non living things and entities (don't have to be the Eldrazis).

The rest I have no idea.
  • @sanjaya666

Valeria - Pretty cool name, though I want this set to be a little darker. Kind of like Innistrad, but more realistic.
    City names - Skydale and Vanderburg seem good. Hoofington and Yorkport are more silly names, but they could work too.
    Planeswalkers - Narset gets an A+, Tamiyo an A-, and Daretti a C- (he seems more Fiora-oriented.) But Narset and Tamiyo could really work with this set!
    Story spotlights - #1 seems a little edgy, as nuclear war is a pretty big theme. #2 could be quite interesting.
  • edited April 2018
    @TezzeretofCarmot21

Plane - The name doesn't have to be dark, you know. It seems to be just a steampunk plane with some classic mysteries and crimes from those eras.
    City names - Doesn't really matter that much as long as those aren't foreign names anyway.
    Planeswalker - Still need a sort of red, green, and black walker to make the color cycle complete. Or two or three walkers with those colors.
    Story spotlights -
    #1 Is based on the invention of nuclear warhead and the World War II
    #2 Is based on the creation of SCP Foundation mythos and the famous alien sightings in the nineteen hundreds.
  • @sanjaya666
    Plane - That makes sense. Maybe steampunk-mystery world?
    Planeswalker - Time for another round of - custom planeswalkers!
    Story Spotlights -
    I like the historical connotation of #1, but I don't like it in a Magic set. No offense, but nukes don't really feel Magic-like.
    Aliens sound really cool and sort of a thing you would expect to see in a mystery set.
  • edited April 2018
    @TezzeretofCarmot21

Also, check the custom mechanics in this thread for the possible special abilities in your set.

http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/225/mechanic-encyclopedia-for-all/p1

And also don't forget to credit their creators.

Or you can also make some mechanics by yourself if you want.
  • Instead of nukes, how about massive spells? It'd give you a reason to use a cycle of legendary spells if you wanted.
  • I would put Vehicles in this custom set as well, it feels right.
  • I would do lands that have different levels like a building
  • edited April 2018
    btw @TezzeretofCarmot21 cool to see you like Beck and Sublime. Not sure your age @TezzeretofCarmot21 but I'm getting the feeling your in high school yet, idk I'm 36 Beck and Sublime was out and relatively 'new' when I was a teen. My favorite song by Beck is still 'Loser' to this day (though he has a LOT more songs... 'where it's at' got played out for me.) Anyways you should check out some other alternative rock/grunge/pop/punk groups from that time period, groups such as The Melvins, Dinosaur Jr., Harvey Danger (they get played on the radio a lot nowadays from what I am told), Seven Mary Three, The Dead Milkmen, The Descendants, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, No Use For A Name, Me First And The Gimme Gimmies, Millencolin, MxPx, Guttermouth, The Vandals, The Used, Mewithoutyou, Mercyme, They Might Be Giants, Butthole Surfers (popular back in the day), L7, Jack Off Jill, These Arms Are Snakes, Social Distortion, Rancid, Oskar, 88 Fingers Louie, Jesus Lizard, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Zebrahead, The Prodigy (not the rapper, look up Fat of the Land), Joy Division, Radiohead (very popular group you probably already know them, but I felt they belong on this list), Earth, Sunn0))), Isis, Botch, Bolth, Haste the Day, A Wilhelm Scream, Melt-Banana, Toxic Narcotic, Millions of Dead Cops, The Exploited, The Donnas, Less Than Jake, A Life Once Lost, Between the Buried and Me.... I could go on. This don't even go into my main fortay of music, but I grew up listening to a lot of other stuff people was like (what the hell is an AFI or Guttermouth? lol this was back when stuff like Marilyn Manson and Korn and Limp Bizkit was the big bands...) **ps this list is mostly 90's and 2000's but it's all over.**

Sorry way off track of the point of this thread. I really enjoy music. So. Anyways. Back to business.

I believe that you should bring back the 'investigate' ability back if you are looking into doing something dark. Clue tokens was pretty cool I thought. It's just a suggestion.
  • edited April 2018
    @sanjaya666 I'll check that thread out.
    @Lujikul That might be interesting, massive spells. Not legendary spells though - this set isn't legendary themed.
    @pjbear2005 I'm not sure what you mean.
    @sorinjace Vehicles are now deciduous, so I might include some - perhaps "getaway car"? I may check out some of those bands... I'm kind of a music nerd too :P I'm still in the 90s with that sort of thing. All my friends are singing "Gucci Gang" and I don't even know what that is.

And Investigate as a mechanic - I already had that as one of the 4 mechanics listed, how'd you know? xD The others are:
    - Detain from RtR
    - the Law custom mechanic (... is against the law. Whenever a player breaks the law, ...)
    - one I had created called Thwart that was basically the "Crime" mechanic (As you cast this spell, any opponent may ... If they do, counter this spell).
    That's basically it.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 Azorious sounds like it will have a strong presence in your set. Good choices!
  • edited May 2018
    @sorinjace Mechanic colors:
    Investigate - Bant, but mostly Selesnya
    Detain - Azorius, but mostly blue
    Law - Chromatic
    Thwart - Rakdos
    All I need is creative stuff.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 Like sagas and level cards have levels if you met a specific requirement it goes to the next floor
  • edited April 2018
    @TezzeretofCarmot21 That was what I meant with magical nukes.

They are just simply global spells.
  • edited May 2018
    @pjbear2005 Seems like an interesting concept. Not sure if it’s the best fit for a steampunk-mystery set, but I’ll think about it.
    @sanjaya666 My bad
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 you can use my spy ability if you want another custom ability to add to the set, sounds like it'd fit with a crime and mystery lore. How big is the set gonna be?
  • @sorinjace Your spy mechanic is pretty cool, but in a set with a bunch of them I’ve always imagined it could be a little awkward with a whole bunch of them. I’ll probably do a creature or three that ETBs under an opponent’s control and give either bad effects to their controller or good effects to their owner. It’s very flavorful, I’m just not sure if we need a full fledged mechanic. That’s a good idea though.
    On the set skeleton: Probably the same as my La’akea set - I’ll copy-paste it in as soon as I can.
  • edited May 2018
    @sorinjace
    I plan to use a 263 card set skeleton - 15 basic lands, 101 common, 80 uncommon, 52 rare, 15 mythic.
    (Whew!)
  • I'm trying to determine two-color archetypes.
    So far:
    W/U Detain
    G/U Investigate
    B/R Thwart
    R/W Beatdown
    W/B Drain
    U/B Mill
    G/B Reanimator
    W/G Investigate/Pump
    G/R Haste Tribal (Each creature with haste gets +1/+1, a lá Stonebrow or Isperia)
    R/U Spellslinger
    Thoughts, anyone?
  • I’m going to become an MTG hermit from now on. I’m going to be working on this set individually. Nobody really needs to comment on this thread (not that anybody is going to anyway) but if you have any suggestions, I’m okay with that.
This discussion has been closed.