Polynesian Set - Design Phase

Comments

• @MagicChess A volcano is a trope we'll definitely explore. That is a unique concept. Maybe you could fetch a Mountain or other land as @NokiSkaur suggested upon activation.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21, @NokiSkaur
    Yes! Search for a Plains, Forest, or Island -> undersea volcano erupts and creates new land.
  • @MagicChess Islands and Mountains are the two most flavorful things a volcano can fetch :P
  • @MagicChess

Plains could be represented by an abandoned city, Islands and Mountains by volcanoes, Swamps by battlefields, and Forests by ashen wastelands. I've heard that volcanic ash is surprisingly fertile...
  • ABUR enemy duals reprint?! Volcanic Island would fit...
    (I'm totally joking here)
  • All right, here's my concept:

Volcanic Eruption 2R
    Instant
    Choose one:
    - Volcanic Eruption deals 3 damage to any target.
    - Add RRR.
    - Search your library for a Mountain and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
    "The gods' battles have given us some gifts in disguise."
    - Ipolo, Hawalo gardener

Red Rampant Growth, when Red is the worst ramp color, might be bad...? Thoughts?
  • On art selectivity:
    I accept that Polynesian art is hard to find. I'll take anything that looks remotely island-life-ish, cult-ish, or token-ish.
  • For the Demigod megacycle, I had an idea.
    Demigod Name (1)(color A)(color B)
    Legendary Creature - Demigod
    Hexproof
    (2)(color A): Ability
    (2)(color B): Ability that mirrors A ability
    (2)(A)(B): Ability for both colors
    2/3
  • edited May 2018
    @MagicChess I'm dithering about whether to make it 3/2, 2/3, 2/2, or 3/3. 2/2 would be subpar, 3/3 would be OP. So you might be right.
    EDIT: What's your opinion on Volcanic Eruption?
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21, yeah. I think 3/2 might be better. Either way, it can be taken out by a Bolt, so I think higher power than toughness might be better.
  • @MagicChess But they have hexproof.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21, true! In that case, a higher toughness might be best, to increase combat survivability.
  • edited May 2018
    Kanawai, Voice of Reason 1WU
    Hexproof
    2W, T: Target creature you control gains vigilance until end of turn
    2U, T: Target creature you control gains flying until end of turn.
    2WU, T: Until your next upkeep, no more than two creatures can attack you each combat.
    2/3

Manao, Flayer of Minds 1UB
    Hexproof
    2U, T: Target player puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard.
    2B, T: Target opponent discards two cards.
    2UB, T: Draw three cards.
    3/2

Mekanu, Patron of Cultists 1BR
    Hexproof
    2B, T: You may sacrifice a creature. If you do, draw two cards.
    2R, T: You may sacrifice a creature. If you do, add RRR.
    2BR, T: Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gets +1/+0 and haste until end of turn.
    3/2

Kahuhu, Stoker of Rage 1RG
    Hexproof
    2R, T: Kahuhu, Stoker of Rage deals 3 damage to target creature.
    2G, T: Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
    2RG, Y: Each creature you control gets +2/+0 and trample until end of turn.
    3/2

Hopakele, Maiden of Bliss 1GW
    Hexproof
    2G, T: Populate, then put a +1/+1 counter on target token creature you control.
    2W, T: Populate, then you gain 1 life for each token creature you control.
    2WG, T: Put two +1/+1 counters on each token creature you control. They gain trample until end of turn.
    3/2

Manaonui, Tyrant of Hawalo 1WB
    Hexproof
    2W, T: You gain 1 life for each creature you control.
    2B, T: Target opponent loses 1 life for each creature you control.
    2WB, T: Creatures you control get +1/+1 and lifelink until end of turn.
    3/2

Hoku'u, Emissary of Death 1BG
    Hexproof
    2B, T: Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
    2G, T: Destroy target noncreature, nonland permanent.
    2BG, T: Exile all cards from target opponent's graveyard. You gain 2 life and draw a card for each card exiled this way.
    3/2

Ke'ano, Speaker of Nature 1GU
    Hexproof
    2G, T: Put two +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
    2U, T: Choose a creature. If it has a +1/+1 counter on it, draw a card.
    2GU, T: Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is the amount of creatures you control.
    3/2

Ike-Ike, Sower of Genius 1UR
    Hexproof
    2U, T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
    2R, T: Discard two cards, then draw two cards.
    2UR, T: Discard a card. Ike-Ike, Sower of Genius deals damage to any target equal to the converted mana cost of the discarded card.
    3/2

Palekaua, Herald of Battle 1RW
    Hexproof
    2R, T: Palekaua, Herald of Battle deals 3 damage to target player or planeswalker.
    2W, T: You gain 3 life.
    2RW, T: Creatures you control get +1/+1, first strike, haste, and vigilance until end of turn.
    3/2

My ten Demigod concepts. The one I'm most concerned about is Hoku'u - is he broken? And is Manao's third ability too boring?
  • I like them
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21
    I think Hoku'u is kind of broken. The cost of the first two abilities is fine compared with creature removal (i.e. Murder), if slightly better ({2}{b} as opposed to {1}{b}{b}), and a tad undercosted for noncreature removal (I'm thinking of lands here. For artifacts and enchantments it's fine), but the biggest problem is the fact that you can do it every turn. without waiting to draw a removal spell. Looking at the last ability, if you think about Bramblecrush or Beast Within, they both are about the same cost, but have a downside, so that one is a bit overpowered.
    Also, Hoku'u is kind of boring. He just kills stuff. I think more variety in the abilities might be a little better.

As for Manao, I think the third ability is actually perfect.
  • @MagicChess I tried to make Hoku'u more unique. Added an edict effect for the first, a nonland clause for the second, and a weird, wacky ability for the third. Thoughts?
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21
    *whacks head on table repeatedly* I analyzed the wrong frickin' card!!!!
  • Hoku'u is actually fine. The last ability is a little op, though.
  • ...I'm mildly confused now. Which card did you mean @MagicChess ?
  • Now I'd like to focus on the creative part of the set.
    We've established so far:
    - This set will be Polynesian themed.
    - There will be gods, demigods, fishermen, sailors, pirates, demons, and cultists, along with many more I haven't figured out yet.
    - Possibly a war among the gods that infects the mortals.
    - Kiora as a returning planeswalker.
    Ideas I'd like to toss around:
    - "Tiki" as a class of spirit - "Tiki Spirit" a la "Zubera Spirit."
    - A W/R Dwarf planeswalker.
    - A B/G new nature planeswalker. This would make the Planeswalker Pie mildly unbalanced - two planeswalkers with green in their mana costs - but the B/G planeswalker would be Victor Hale, sort of a personal planeswalker, whose motivation would sort of make sense. If you want lore on Victor Hale, DM me.
    - A cycle of enemy dual lands with basic subtypes that mirror the ABUR duals. A volcanic island in U/R, a bayou in B/G, a scrubland in W/B, a plateau in W/R, a tropical island in G/U.
    - The idea of a "volcano."
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21
    XD
    Hoku'u (actually talking about this one now). I think the card is great, but the last ability is a little op. The card draw and life gain tacked on there make it too good.
  • An example card from a hypothetical cycle:

Erupting Island
    Land - Island
    (T: Add U.)
    At the beginning of each upkeep, add R.

Thoughts?
  • edited June 2018
    Woooow that seems way too strong. Make it ETB tapped and maaaaybe it’s fine, but that’s an R to spend at upkeep stapled onto a U whenever you want it. Mono R decks would even run this to fuel shocks/bolts virtually for free every turn.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21,
    I agree with @Arceus8523. Maybe tap and sacrifice it for RRR or something?
  • edited June 2018
    Strike that: Free ritual. Three counters that you have to tap to remove and then sac?
  • I’d say make them legendary subtyped duals that ETB untapped, but that might also be too strong?
  • I have returned!! I'm still working on La'akea, but the account me and my friend are using is called @ThePigs because we now have Boar tribal. The account has some random rares, so feel free to check it out.
    I am midway through creating the commons. Any help or (constructive) criticism is appreciated!
  • (Art would especially be appreciated :P)
This discussion has been closed.