Mechanix Challenge #29

84 years ago, Corwinnn, MrRansom, AustinSmith and Tomigon started a project called TheMechanix. Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to ; Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - 29
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS SET: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/30205
and make an incredible card that uses it.

In MC-29, the focus is on Triggered Ability Keywords
This challenge features mechanics from @Mila, @Teacup, @strongbelieves, @ZendikarIncarnate, @Faiths_Guide, @LukeMYG, @aus10krews, @DanDanDio, @obsidianhoax, @epson77734, @JAM, and @PhDJamesauce

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, creativity and flavor.

Limit of 12 entries max per person.
Deadline: 5/27/18
*Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY-; and added to -HALL OF FAME- !

Comments

• Pounce by Mila (Edited by TheMechanix)
    Pounce (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, that creature loses first strike and double strike until end of turn.)

Pickpocket by Teacup
    Pickpocket N (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, reveal the top card of that player's library. If it's a nonland card with converted mana cost N or less, you may cast it without paying that card's mana cost.)

Reckless by strongbelieves
    Reckless (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)
    -TheMechanix version
    Reckless (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Spirit by ZendikarIncarnate
    Spirit (When this creature dies, if it is not a Spirit, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. It becomes a Spirit in addition to its other types and gains flying.)
    @STORMBREATH'S THOUGHT: a better keyword for Spirit would be Restless

Filch by Faiths_Guide
    Filch N (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw N cards.)
    -TheMechanix version
    Filch [Cost] (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may pay [cost]. If you do, draw a card.)

Scurry by LukeMTG
    Scurry (Whenever this creature attacks, choose a creature defending player controls. This creature can't be blocked by the chosen creature.)

Storm-riding by aus10krews
    Storm-riding (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gains first strike until end of turn.)

Lone by DanDanDio, modified by TheMechanix
    Lone (At the beginning of your end step, exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield under the control of the player chosen at random.)

Witness by obsidianhoax, modified by TheMechanix
    Witness (When this creature dies, if it's not a token, you may create a colorless Prophecy enchantment token. It has all abilities of this creature and "When you create another Prophecy, sacrifice this enchantment".)

Warcry by epson777341
    Warcry (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it. At the beginning of your end step, if it didn't attack this turn, remove a +1/+1 counter from it.)

Assault by JAM
    Assault (Whenever this creature attacks, you may remove this creature from combat and have it fight target creature. If you do, that creature can't block this turn.)

Tactical by PhDJamesauce
    Tactical N (Whenever this creature blocks, it gets -N/+N until end of tun.)
  • Time to Rock and Roll!
  • Should we keep the same color identities for the cards?
  • A question: If I had panharmonicon, would tribute trigger twice?
  • @Scott_Anderson
    I think the cards can be any color. Color bleed sometimes happen in real cards too when they use nonevergreen mechanics like unearth, phyrexian mana, investigate..

@shadow123
    No. Tribute isn't triggered ability. Triggered abilities always start with "When", "Whenever" or "At the beginning of...."
  • Lone is a perfect ability for a red creature or a chaotic artifact. I will dream some cards up for Lone.
  • I see. Thanks @Tomigon.
  • @Scott_Anderson - We're always excited to see how people interpret the mechanics different from one another!
  • First Entry using Filch by Faiths_Guide

• edited May 2018
    Second Entry

I used the following ..

Witness by obsidianhoax, modified by TheMechanix, Redubbed and tweaked by me to Simulacrum

Spirit by ZendikarIncarnate , Redubbed Wraith by me.

Third Entry

I included Storm-riding by aus10krews, slightly tweaked by me (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gains first strike until end of turn.) It seemed like flying should be part of it for thematic reasons.

Fourth Entry

I used the following...
    Resist by Lastjustice
    Resist *color/type* (Prevent all damage from a*insert type* source dealt to this creature.)

Warcry by epson777341, redubbed Bloodlust by me.
    Assault by JAM

• edited May 2018
    Fifth Entry

I used the following
    Flagbearer , an old mechanic I just named as a keyword with some help from @Tomigon rather than have it as a creature type as seen here. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=413548

Reckless by strongbelieves-TheMechanix version

Tactical by PhDJamesauce

Sixth Entry

Pact by Lastjustice

Lone by DanDanDio, modified by TheMechanix. Redubbed by me Wayward, which means difficult to control or predict because of unusual or perverse behavior. That fits this mechanic much better.

• Seventh Entry

I used the following:Pounce by Mila (Edited by TheMechanix) and Scurry by LukeMTG

• edited May 2018
    Using Lone by @DanDanDio

• Eighth Entry (if anyone is wondering I have the day off and enjoy mechanix contests.)

Pickpocket by Teacup

• edited May 2018
    Entry #1:

Using the Pickpocket mechanic by @Teacup:

• Will there be another set made up like the set above? How does that work?
  • edited May 2018
    Ninth Entry

I used Lone by DanDanDio, modified by TheMechanix redubbed Wayward by me.
    Lone (At the beginning of your end step, exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield under the control of the player chosen at random.)

Divine by Lastjustice

Tenth Entry

I used Psychic by Lastjustice
    Psychic (If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, instead that player puts that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard.)

Filch by Faiths_Guide / Modified by me since it wouldn't work with psychic in it's base form.
    Filch N (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw N cards.)

@Scott_Anderson They compile the names from the Mechanix Encyclopedia thread. http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/225/mechanic-encyclopedia-for-all/p1

Each set is for the contest is selected by the judge I believe from that list. They will keep creating new mechanix contests for as long as this site exists. (So at some point will legitly be 84 years ago heh.)

• edited May 2018
    First entry, using Storm-riding by @aus10krews

• edited May 2018
    Eleventh Entry

I used the following

Pounce by Mila (Edited by TheMechanix)

Magnitude by Lastjustice
    Magnitude N (If you pay N when casting this spell, it can't countered or targeted of a spell or ability an opponent controls on the battlefield unless that player pays N or the effect is countered. Put N +1/+1 counters on it when it enters the battlefield.)
  • edited May 2018
    My final entry for Mechanix 29, I figured let's go big here! The Dirty Dozen it is with my number 12.

I used the following...

Assault by JAM
    Assault (Whenever this creature attacks, you may remove this creature from combat and have it fight target creature. If you do, that creature can't block this turn.)

Reckless by strongbelieves-TheMechanix version

Warcry by epson777341- Redubbed Bloodlust by Lastjustice
    Warcry (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it. At the beginning of your end step, if it didn't attack this turn, remove a +1/+1 counter from it.)
  • edited May 2018
    **Edit**
    I changed the assault mechanic a little bit. You need to pay something for the effect.
    Assault {cost} (Whenever this creature attacks, you may pay its assault cost and remove it from combat. If you do, target creature can't block this turn and this creature fights that creature.)
  • edited May 2018
    Entry #2:

Using the warcry mechanic by @epson777341:

• edited May 2018
    Entry #3:

Using the tactical mechanic by @PhDJamesauce

• edited May 2018
    My 7 entries:

I used Pickpocket by Teacup, Restless by ZendikarIncarnate, Filch by Faiths_Guide, Witness by Obsidianhoax, Warcry by epson777341, Assault by JAM, and Tactical by PhDJamesauce, and Storm-riding by aus10krews.

Reworded Witness as (When this creature dies, if it's not a token create Prophecy, a legendary colorless enchantment token with all other abilities of this creature.) so the Prophecy token didn’t copy the Witness ability and you can choose which prophecy to keep if you have 2.

Reworded Assault to include a reflexive trigger so the defending creature can still block if the creature with assault is killed/bounced with the Assault trigger on the stack.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • edited May 2018
    Entry #4:

Using the Loan mechanic by @DanDanDio

• 2nd entry using Warcry by @epson777341

• A lot of nice cards already and there are still 8 days left!
  • edited May 2018
    Entry #2

Another different version of assault:
    Assault (Whenever this creature attacks, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, you may remove it from combat. If you do, target creature can't block this turn and this creature fights that creature. When that creature dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
This discussion has been closed.