Mechanix Challenge #30

84 years ago, Corwinnn, MrRansom, AustinSmith and Tomigon started a project called TheMechanix. Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to ; Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - 30
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS SET: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/31088
and make an incredible card that uses it.

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, creativity and flavor.

Only new cards.
Limit of 15 entries max per person.
Deadline: June 11
*Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY-; and added to -HALL OF FAME- !

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Here are the Mechanics for Mechanix Challenge 30

Trust of the Council by @ningyounk
    Trust of the council - Each player votes for A or B at the same time. If you voted for A, for each A vote, (effect 1.) If you voted for B, for each B vote, (effect 2.)

Thorns by @Scott_Anderson
    Thorns N (Whenever this creature is dealt combat damage by creature, this creature deals N damage to that creature.)

Legion by @TigerFang8
    Legion N (When this creature enters the battlefield, if it's not a token, create N tokens that are copies of it.)

Ritual by @TezzeretofCarmot21
    Ritual {cost} (You may pay {cost} and sacrifice a creature rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.)

Restore by @sorinjace
    Restore N (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may shuffle up to N cards from your graveyard into your library.)
    ..OR..
    Restore N. (Shuffle up to N cards from your graveyard into your library.)
    NOTE: 2nd version is an action keyword, like scry, proliferate, investigate,,

Peaceful by @Tomigon
    Peaceful (This creature can't attack. It deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-0 counters.)

Psychic by @Lastjustice
    Psychic (If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, instead that player puts that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard.)

Insular by @KalamMekhar
    Insular - If you spent only ____ mana to cast this spell, *(effect..)
    NOTE: Insert the spell's color in _____. *(effect...) gives the card different or additional characteristics that makes the card more powerful.

Forge by @TenebrisNemo
    Forge N. (Create N colorless Sword Equipment artifact tokens with "Equipped creature gets +1/+0" and equip {1}.)
    ..OR..
    Forge N swords. (Create N colorless Sword Equipment artifact tokens with "Equipped creature gets +1/+0" and equip {1}.)
    ..OR..
    Forge N shields. (Create N colorless Shield Equipment artifact tokens with "Equipped creature gets +0/+1" and equip {1}.)
    NOTE: These are all action mechanics like scry, proliferate, investigate,,

Retribution by @Dechujoh64
    Retribution (Whenever a creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
    ..OR..
    Retribution (Whenever a creature you control that was dealt combat damage this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Etherialize by @ManaChrome
    Etherialize [Cost] ([Cost], Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 1/1 blue Spirit '__ceature types__' with no mana cost.)
    ..OR..
    Etherialize [Cost] ([Cost], Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 1/1 blue Spirit '__ceature types__' with no mana cost and has flying.)

Rehearse by @KrampisZman
    Rehearse (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a verse counter on this creature.)
    AUTHOR'S NOTE: Creatures with this mechanic must have the "Musician" subtype. This way, tribal musicians payoffs that reference verse counters can function.

--Bonus Mechanics--

Aegis by @Lastjustice
    Aegis N (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter that spell or ability unless its controller pays {n}.)

Hex by @Lujikul, modified by @bnew07
    Hex [Cost] (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. You may cast it from the battlefield any time you could cast it from your hand by paying its hex cost.)
    **Check out Lujikul's "A Hexing Matter" challenge: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/3633/a-hexing-matter/p1

????? storm by @Tomigon
    ____ storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each '__text__'. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
    Example: Sky storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each creature spell with flying cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
    NOTE: Used only on instant or sorcery
    **Check out Platypusburger's "Twisted Keywords" contest: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/3649/contest-twisted-keywords#latest
  • I want to see a cactus creature with thorns mechanic :P
  • edited June 2018
  • edited May 2018
    I forgot to make a card for Ritual! Oof! I’m typing this from a phone so I’ll try to make a card next time I get to a computer!
  • @tomigon your Skystorm reminds me of this older card I made (Not an entry.)

I gotta head to work, but I will get some entries in later.
  • @Lastjustice
    Cool card! Thanks for dropping by in a busy time.
  • @Tomigon Am I allowed to make entries? I would think so, but I am double checking.
  • edited May 2018
    @TigerFang8
    Yes, you are allowed to make up to 15 entries with any mechanics you like :D
  • edited May 2018
  • @Tomigon 15 is a lot...
  • @Tomigon This is not an entry... please sneakily post this below the Ritual mechanic
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cultists-plea
  • edited June 2018
    Entry #1:

Using Retribution by @Dechujoh64:

• edited May 2018

I really wanted to show off some of the things you can do with rehearse in addition to just making a musician. In this card, you become the conductor of an orchestra, and all of your creatures become musicians! The magical melody created by your symphony buffs your team when it's played, giving them a slight combat boost. This card works really well with creatures that already have rehearse, since it gives them an extra instance of the mechanic, allowing them to be better in combat. Although it might seem weird that a musician could rehearse twice in one turn, think of it as you, the planeswalker conductor giving them guidance. The professionals should get more of a boost from your help.

Hopefully this gets the creative juices flowing for some of you guys. And yes, this is an entry @Tomigon.

Also, this is my 300th non-reprint card!
  • @Pauli
    Nice work! Next time you use abilities like kicker, use hyphen instead of colon! Like this (Kicker - Return X lands..) Colon is only used in activated abilities. Also that card should say "its owner's" instead of "your". And reminder text should be italicized.

@TigerFang8
    Sometimes there are people who try to make a card for each mechanic.

@TezzeretofCarmot21
    Thanks!
  • edited May 2018
    Ok, normally I like to start off with something simple, but an idea popped in my head and I was working it out and so I swinging for the fences out the gates this time hehe. See how it goes.

Entry 1

Rehearse by @KrampisZman

I took my own approach made a spell that requires a musician to cast, hence a song. The spells title is a reference to the intro theme of the video game Chrono Cross, which the words also appear in for the flavor text. The whole quote didn't fit but goes...

What was the start of all this? When did the cogs of fate begin to turn? Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that anwer now, From deep within the flow of time... But, for a certainty, back then, We loved so many, yet hated so much, We hurt others and were hurt ourselves... Yet even then we ran like the wind, Whilst our laughter echoed, Under cerulean skies...

(I linked the song on the card. )

Entry 2

????? storm by @Tomigon , in this case Aura Storm.

Entry 3

Thorns by @Scott_Anderson, Thorns N (Whenever this creature is dealt combat damage by creature, this creature deals N damage to that creature.)

Frost touch by @ArienStorm, Frost touch (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.)

Aegis by Lastjustice
    Aegis N (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter that spell or ability unless its controller pays {n}.)

• edited May 2018
  • edited May 2018
    1st entry made with Restore.

• 2nd entry made with Storm.

• 1st entry
  • edited June 2018
    Ok, I got my own ball rolling for a contest (Reactivation Challenge #47)...now back to Mike and Mechanix!

Entry 4

I used

Legion by TigerFang8
    Legion N (When this creature enters the battlefield, if it's not a token, create N tokens that are copies of it.)

Psychic by Lastjustice
    Psychic (If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, instead that player puts that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard.)

Entry 5

I used
    Insular by KalamMekhar
    Insular - If you spent only ____ mana to cast this spell, *(effect..)

Forge by TenebrisNemo
    Forge N swords. (Create N colorless Sword Equipment artifact tokens with "Equipped creature gets +1/+0" and equip {1}.)
    ..OR..
    Forge N shields. (Create N colorless Shield Equipment artifact tokens with "Equipped creature gets +0/+1" and equip {1}.)

????? storm by Tomigon/ Metal storm in this case (sounds cooler than Artifact storm.)
    ____ storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each '__text__'. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Entry 6

I used

Thorns by Scott_Anderson
    Thorns N (Whenever this creature is dealt combat damage by creature, this creature deals N damage to that creature.)

Retribution by Dechujoh64
    Retribution (Whenever a creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Warcry by epson777341, redubbed Bloodlust by me.
    Warcry (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it. At the beginning of your end step, if it didn't attack this turn, remove a +1/+1 counter from it.)
  • edited June 2018
    Entry 7

I used Peaceful by Tomigon
    Peaceful (This creature can't attack. It deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-0 counters.)

I was thinking of you when I made this critter @kickash. I know you love a good Group Hug/pacifism victory!

Entry 8

I used

Trust of the Council by ningyounk
    Trust of the council - Each player votes for A or B at the same time. If you voted for A, for each A vote, (effect 1.) If you voted for B, for each B vote, (effect 2.)

Ritual by TezzeretofCarmot21
    Ritual {cost} (You may pay {cost} and sacrifice a creature rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.)

• edited June 2018
    Entry #2:

Using Rehearse by @KrampisZman:

• edited June 2018
    Entry #1 with my own mechanic because it's been a while since I haven't designed a card for it :D

• Using @ningyounk's Trust of the Council:

Rehearse by @KrampisZman. The idea is all your musicians come together for one epic performance. The more musicians that participate in it, the more epic (read: rewarding) it is.
    Trust of the Council by @ningyounk and Forge by @TenebrisNemo
  • edited May 2018
    Entry 9

I used ...
    Trust of the Council by ningyounk

Legion by TigerFang8
    Legion N (When this creature enters the battlefield, if it's not a token, create N nonlegendary tokens that are copies of it.)

Entry 10

Peaceful by @Tomigon
  • edited June 2018
  • edited May 2018
    Card revision - @ningyounk's mechanic:
    Got help from the mechanic designer!
This discussion has been closed.