Civilization - Dawn of Creation

2»

Comments

• The great Eye rules over what is left of the Gitrog lake, after it has phased out of Innistrad
    the temple:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ainyrdh-temple-of-the-eye

their leader:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/raklet-chosen-of-the-eye
  • This contest ends in a little more than 51 hours! That's soon!
  • This contest closes in a little more than 3 hours! Still have time to finish your entries all!
  • 1 hour left! @Tezzeret of Carmot - will you be entering any? @kandra127 - I see 2 cards, will you be entering 3 more?
  • edited May 2018
  • edited May 2018
    Well here is 4 cards of characters that are in the civilization of Sagara. I know it isn't your typical civilization, but there is multiple creature types on Sagara. Hope this will go well with your contest @RayearthIX!

1.)image
    2.)image
    3.)image
  • edited May 2018
    4.)image
  • edited May 2018
    /
  • @sorinjace - do you have a land or artifact? The contest required a land and an artifact. :3
  • edited May 2018
  • edited May 2018
  • edited May 2018
    /
  • lol. Thanks @Sorinjace.

This contest is now closed. I'll announce the winners later today.
  • @saveria201 - I don't really understand the dream mechanic... Can you just keep naming cards, or can only one be named at a time? The way the cards work together confuses me...
  • edited April 2018
    Dream works like kicker, except it lets you name a card name as a potential bonus (like how meddling mage does, or the several black discard/exile sorcries do which let you search for a specific card you named). The bonus is that if that spell, the named card, comes into play later on, you can still get the effect again as long as the card with dream is in your control and on the battlefield.

It doesn't allow you to keep naming cards, just as kicker doesn't allow you to keep kicking in any way...only when cast.

Dreamweave turns on an effect for any named card, not just a single one. It cares about any card name that has been "named".
  • @saveria201

So, Card A comes on and has Dream (u)(g), and you pay it and name card X. Then, whenever card X comes on, it triggers dreamweave or other effects related to named cards.

So, my confusion here is, lets say Card B comes on and has Dream (u)(r), and you came card Y. Do both card X and card Y trigger dreamweave?

If Card A is destroyed, would card X still trigger dreamweave on other cards with the ability, since it is a named card (even if the card that named it is destroyed?)
  • edited April 2018
    Yes Dreamweave gets triggered by any spell cast that is named as long as one of your permanents named it. An opponent permanent with Dream wouldn't activate your dreamweaves.

No, just like meddling mage, when it leaves the battlefield it's continuing effect ends. The named card is no longer named. At least that's how meddling mage works.
  • @RayearthIX Is this contest going to be judged?
  • @bnew07 - Yes, eventually. I'll try to do it this weekend. It's a hard contest to judge, and made more difficult because there are only 5 actual completed entries, so there is less separating the top from the bottom. Apologies for the delay.
  • edited May 2018
    Solstria, Empire of Twilight

The Empire is currently in the state of unrest by the demonic pact that was enacted by its current king, turning many of its protectors, especially the angels, into cruel and sadistic ones, albeit they still have their sense of duty to protect the Empire, but not much about the civilians. Although that, the young king Darius still have them under his control. In the end, it was his machinations that caused it after all.

The king, ambitious to a fault, even murdered his own parents as a sacrificial offering to the demon he contracted, ensuring that no one could possibly oppose him.

When he asked by the Imperial Court why he did that "My parents were already rotten to the core anyway, just look around you." And In the end, he received no punishment due to the influence of the pact to the demon that ensured his life and he just reinstated as the king afterwards.

But still the young king has a card in his sleeve. His trusted advisors, known only as the Sisters of Fate, the only ones who act as his oracle and his protectors when the time to settle the debt comes.

image image

And there is also the legend about a golden sword somewhere in the Empire that could ensure the fate of its owner to victory, albeit Darius is still looking after it.

The most important place in the Empire is probably the King's citadel that is located in the capital city, Valeria.

(And the wildcards of course.)

image image
  • A friendly reminder that this contest existed.
  • Okay... so... It took me a very long time to judge this. But, here we go.

The honorable mentions go to:

@Fallen_Lord_Vulganos with Solstria, the Empire of Twilight. This was actually one of my favorites, but given that the entry was after the deadline, I couldn't place it higher in good faith. Though no opposition cards were made, I can imagine a someone questing for the sword in hopes of defeating Darius.

@bnew07 with the ballad of Kaldheim. This icy plane is locked in a frozen existence, until it suddenly isn't when a volcano erupts. This set has all the makings of an interesting story, but focused more on that story than the civilization itself. The focus, Xarion, got much of the lore, but the rest of the plane wasn't brought out with him.

In third place comes @Lujikul 's home of the Elder Lotus. This set has everything you need to imagine a place of rest and learning... except that leviathan. Pretty sure it's just as likely that would destroy everything just by moving around. Maybe the elder's shouldn't have summoned an Elder one (or so I imagine happened).

In second place is @Faiths_Guide: The Lithorians are a particularly interesting set, and I like both the synergy of the art, and the general concepts behind them. However, to get the full picture requires all the cards in the set, and not just the 5 submitted entries. As such, it couldn't be first place, though it was worthy.

And lastly, in first place is @Saveria201 with the creation of the Everdusk. Though the mechanics are a bit confusing, the theme of the set is excellent, and the way the cards work together to build on that theme, of dreams and dreamers, and dark magic of the stars and night make it stand out and claim first place.

Thank you to all who participated, and I want to apologize as well for how long it took me to judge this. I should have had this done weeks ago.

To the honorable mentions, I will favorite a couple cards each now. To the winners, please let me know which of your cards you'd like me to favorite, and I've already followed where needed. I don't know if the premium time is still available for first, but I'll check.

Thank you again, and happy June 1st! (or happy Friday if you're work week is about done).
  • @RayearthIX
    Awesome! Congrats other @Winners and @Mentionables! I get 4 faves @RayearthIX?
  • @Faiths_Guide @saveria201

Done and done. Thanks for participating, both of you.
  • @RayearthIX this is definitely one of my favorite contests I've seen, and I got to it too late. Any chance you'd want to run it again??
  • @kickash - I'd probably do it again at some point. But not for a month or two. Next contest will have a very specific theme. I'll be posting it today.
This discussion has been closed.