Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

• @sorinjace your link is the wrong skeletor card
  • @jpastor I think its fixed now :)
  • Request for another mystery box mr.@jpastor.
  • @jpastor

Ohhh, this was interesting and fun to make. Hit me up once more, if you will.

imageimage
  • What are mystery boxes? I'm pretty new but I love MTG and so far, this is awesome, but I am really confused about these Mystery Box thingies.
  • @Cybermarb welcome to the forums! @jpastor came up with this contest. Its a twist on ongoing contests basically but are real fun and can be challenging. So if your looking for material to help you get started in your cardsmithing career mystery box challenge is a great place to start and by being on the forums it can help get you more recognition and possible helpful advise from other cardsmiths then not being active on the forums.
  • @jpastor made my diamond artifact, hopefully an artifact creature counts!

The power/toughness was corrected but not updated at the moment of this typing. Also, I would like another box please!
  • edited June 2018
    Hi mystery boxers, a quick announcement:
    - I am flying home today and will soon have access to my computer. I will then go through every entry this week and double check to make sure I didnt forget any prizes, requests, etc. Cheers!

@JoeMoose Your mystery box contains:
    - A Discussion Endorsement: If you have any active discussions, choose one. I will mention it in several posts across all my discussions until the end of the next deadline.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare, red creature that mentions "artifacts" in the text.

@sorinjace Your mystery box contains:
    - A Tactical Nuke: Destroy all entries submitted this deadline. The following players are in posession of a prize that can prevent this bomb from exploding. . . Players with diffuse codes: @Battlesocke; @Lujikul; players with A Shard of an Unknown Object: @Baron-777. The timer is ticking: you have until roughly 1600 CDT to diffuse the bomb before it destroys every entry submitted this deadline.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that you can cycle.

@Shadow29870 Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a blue (X) spell.

@Cybermarb Hi buddy, if you can find this mention of your name amongst this lengthy paragraph of formatting then you on your way to becoming a good cardsmith. @sorinjace said it well. Forums are a great way to learn to create cards better or to participate in fun challenges regardless of skill. My mystery box challenges are for all skill levels and I have attempted to format them in a way that is beginner friendly. Forums are full of coding and formatting, so I try to keep these simple. If you wish to get started in forums by participating in my Mystery Box Challenges, all you need to do is post on here "I'd like to open a box!" or anything along those lines. I will then give you a challenge like the ones above and below this paragraph and possibly a prize. You have no time commitment to submit the card. So take your time or bust it off and ask for another box. Lastly, you can request a box at any point in time. This discussion is ongoing, which means I dont plan on ending it. Cheers!

@Queen-Succubus Your mystery box contains:
    - An Extra Entry: You may submit two cards for this box's mystery challenge.
    - A Mystery Challenge: In magic, white has been known to harness the power of the sun to deal damage and heal. Create a monowhite spell that does this.
  • I will use my diffuse code.
  • edited June 2018
    @jpastor - Here is the requested Thrull.

May I have another box sir.
  • @jpastor !!! I give up!!! I need the help of a Mystery Box!!!
  • The deadline has arrived. There are multiple winning cards. . .

1st Place: @saveria101 (5 favorites of choice + 1 of my choice)
    2nd Place: @pakashara (5 favorites of choice)
    3rd Place: @sorinjace (4 favorites of choice)
    4th Place: @saveria201(3 favorites of choice)
    5th Place: @Shadow29870 (2 favorites of choice)
    6th Place: @Dechujoh64 (1 favorite of choice)

@Scott_Anderson Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a creature with a Channel ability.
  • Sweet. I'll be right back with the 4 cards to favorite and a new card in a sec.
  • edited June 2018

Sorry it took longer than anticipated.
  • edited June 2018
    @Jpastor, alas and alack, I do not have a discussion post here. I do have a Twitter, though.......

Anywho, card!

Another box, please. :)
  • @Jpastor

Oh, huh. Never won a thing before so this is a welcome suprise. Hm...

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sheoldreds-chosen
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/tiefling-runekeeper?list=set&set=31624

If you would, kindly, these are my chosen two.
  • And heck, now that I've done this, hit me up once more please! This is almost as addicting as MTG booster packs...

• edited June 2018
    @jpastor I would like to open a mystery box please! It's been awhile since I've been around these forums, and this sounds like a fun way to get back into making cards.
  • edited June 2018
    Thank you @jpastor!

- A Mystery Challenge: Create a creature with a Channel ability.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/shinen-of-the-mighty-oak
  • edited June 2018
    @JoeMoose Your mystery box contains:
    - Double prize choices for everyone this deadline!
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create the legendary planeswalker version of the above card.

@Shadow29870 Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a Hellkite creature.

@cadstar369 Your mystery box contains:
    - Choose one of the following two prizes--
    - Steal a card:
    You pick another player's submitted card from this deadline. That card becomes one of your entries. If it wins this deadline, you win instead of its creator.
    - A Bomb: Destroy target entry. It won't be judged this deadline.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card with artwork depicting a battle or fight of any kind.
  • Honestly with so few entries I'm gonna just let the bomb hit. Just no one submit anything for an hour or 2.
  • @jpastor

One more can't hurt eh? Hit me up again please.

Also, a side note... I did notice the 'bomb' and 'Steal a Card' abilities and... well, those are cool, but they seem a little... mean, to me. All that effort someone may have put, shut down.
  • edited June 2018
    @jpastor completed the Sun Challenge, and made two of them with my bonus perk. Was tough, wasn't sure what you meant by dealing and gaining life because drain is usually a black thing. Came to my own conclusions with the cards I made though one with the literal effect of damage+lifegain and one with a more direct Sun approach of it arising and good things happening. Pretty simple but I think I did the theme justice.

Fun stuff, the power level concerning rarity, mana cost is definitely askew, but hey not the worst. Also, another box would be great.

• edited June 2018
    @jpastor here's my entry. May I have another mystery box please?

Also, I would like to bomb Mikander, Sol Manifest.
  • @Shadow29870 Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a Specter creature card.

@Queen-Succubus Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Check out this card. Then create something similar in effect.

@cadstar369 Your mystery box contains:
    - Favorites: 3 of my choice + 1 of your choice
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a Dryad Shaman creature card.
  • Oh this is a neat thread. May I try a mystery box?
  • edited June 2018
    Challenge: Create a Myr creature card.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/combustion-myr

Not really my best work I admit; art was hard to find for myrs. Sometimes you don't always end up making lemonade outta lemons.

Regardless I have not lost my love of this thread or its boxes. So i'll take another @jpastor.
  • @brcien Your mystery box contains:
    Choose one of the following two prizes:
    - Bomb Breaker Mitts: Used to prevent any bomb. One time use; can be used in any deadline.
    - Aryanf's Hugs: 2 favorites of your choice + 2 of my choice + 1 Hug (1 favorite donated to another cardsmith. Just name the cardsmith and I will provide the fave.)
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create an enchantment that creates creature tokens.

@Baron-777 Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a noncreature Sylvan card.
  • edited June 2018
    I had to curse a bit at the challenge, @jpastor, seeing that @Scott_Anderson's card had two characters in the artwork. I flipped a coin, and I got the lady. So!

Hope this works! Another box, please. :3

Edit: OMG! This is the 100th card I made! [has balloons and confetti rain down]
This discussion has been closed.