Legendary Tribal Instants with Partner **Circuit Challenge**

2»

Comments

• @KrampisZman
    That was the intention :)
  • Is this correct?

image image
  • First Noncreature Partners (On the fence of whether partner should be the first or last thing on the card):
    imageimage
  • edited July 2018
    bleh.
  • Circuit Points are now DOUBLED for this Challenge!
  • edited June 2018
    heya, here are my entries:
    image image
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Hope you enjoyed em. :)
  • edited June 2018
    This partners with... ITSELF

It can be an enchantment or a sorcery, try not to think about it too hard.

Is there a reward for thinking too meta?
  • edited June 2018
    imageimage
  • edited July 2018
    2nd:
    image image

Partner is getting a little out of hand because they keep grabbing each other over and over.
    My Giant restricts that broken action.
  • here are my two entries
    imageimage
  • And with that, we are closed for judgement...
  • So exciting!
  • edited July 2018
  • I have word we are just a few days away from results!
  • edited July 2018
    Ok, ok, I'm sorry, I was on vacation and then I started a new job so I've had like 20 hours of training things to do in addition to my normal work and other schedules. So, sorry for that!!

Unfortunately, a lot of the submissions kind of missed the point of the mechanics at hand here. For partners, the cards should be good no matter what order they are played. Ultimately, this met that some cool designs were not competitive in my opinion compared to the winners.

A lot of the Legendary Tribal Sorceries felt either A. extremely uninspired or B. just didn't synergize with the tribe they supposed to be representing. I think people were trying to force making "Legendary Tribal Instants with Partner" instead of making the best possible card for that design space.

Because of this, I've only got two HM for this contest. The first set is @Teacup's Alice, the Dreamer and Force of Imagination. These cards fall a little bit into the trap of "one is better if it is played before the other," although the power swing is not that big compared to some of the other entries. I like how much these cards feel like the source material.

The second set is @Gelectrode's Inspired Hero and Tale of Tenacity. These cards are literally perfect. The flavor is En Pointe, but most importantly these cards don't care about the order in which you play them.

So why did these not win? Well, timing. @Gelectrode recently left the community to do... whatever. Since we have both a premium subscription and some coveted (although quite unimportant this round) circuit points as prizes, I thought it would be a waste of both of those things to give them to a dead account. @Gelectrode, if you ever come back, and you can come to somewhere close to where I live, I'll like... take you out to dinner or something for having the best cards. How do you like Olive Garden?

3rd Place: @creepybeagle with Rite of Challenges!

This card is weird, but I like the fact that it explores completely virgin design space. @creepybeagle is probably the first person crazy enough to think of a card partnering with itself. The execution is a little bit weird, but that's fine. I'm not sure how this would work otherwise. Maybe that means it shouldn't be a thing, but who cares. I like it. Nice work.

2nd Place: @fiskerton with The Walking Woods.

I never expected Forest Gump, er, I mean, Tribal, would be the catalyst through which Legendary Tribal Spells would make it to the winner's table. I like how the tokens let you retrieve your lands when they die. I also like how it doesn't specify basic forests, so my shocks and dual lands will count towards this spell. Probably not competitive, but definitely fun in cube and EDH. The only thing I dislike about this card is that it gets hosed by graveyard hate. Even a simple Crook of Condemnation or Scavenging Ooze can screw you over. Other than that, Nice work!!

1st Place: @Faiths_Guide with Arena Captain and Arena Host!

image image

I like this duo a lot. The order of casting doesn't matter too much. The cards are about the same power level either way. Although I'm not a huge fan of the wording change to make the cards make sense in both team and mono-player formats, it makes sense to me. So yeah, nice work!

That's two hours of my life I should have been using to study for work.

Winners, message me for your prizes.

Thanks a lot!

-Kramp
  • @KrampisZman you got the wrong person
    @fiskerton created The Walking Woods, not me
  • @TheCenterOfTheUniverse I thought it was weird your account was showing up with a different name!!

Sorry @fiskerton, you're the real 2nd Place!!
This discussion has been closed.