Tournament of Champions 2 (The game has begun)

Comments

• @TenebrisNemo Hooray! Welcome back! Our host is never too late.
    @everyone Guys, we can still do a story, we will just have it after the match.
  • @ShaperKyon - Thank you!

@Everyone - Sorry for not being around these past three weeks. I left in a hurry for a vacation which I needed more than I first imagined. During that time, I focused on things other than this tournament. As a host I should have informed about it here earlier, but for some reason I never did. To be honest, I wasn't expecting this myself.

Now that all my personal lands have been untapped, I can put enough mana to my mana pool to cast the ending of this particularly long chapter, where Nya and Sylva have been stuck right now. But something concerns me. This tournament has been going for quite long time, and I'm afraid that some cardsmiths may not be around when they should be making cards for this contest (champion's 2nd stage etc.) I am partly to blame because of my slow speed. As a good host I shouldn't have allowed this to happen in the first place. We should already be at the 2nd round at least, but it's funny how much time has gone into other things even though summer is here.

Should I continue the tournament as normally, or is it already a lost cause?
  • Continue!...but I think u should designate a second host not in the tournament in case something like that happens
  • edited July 2018
    @TenebrisNemo
    We all need a longer break now and then, and I commend you for taking one. Regardless of your conclusion of continuing or not, I've got Gyar's stage 2. Art hunting was harsh. And in the time between the first set of rounds and the next, Gyar had quite a... growth spurt, as wurms are known for.

• @TenebrisNemo - I vote continue!

XD
  • @TenebrisNemo happy to have you back!
    I also say continue
  • @Lujikul. I agree hunting for wiener art must be he’s but in case u care that is mtg art
  • @TenebrisNemo Continue! It's all good.
  • @TenebrisNemo: you should say "add mana". You're not allowed to mention mana pool anymore according to new rules. Due to this violation, you have been...BANISHED!
  • edited July 2018
    @TenebrisNemo You've been banished to the Shadow Realm by @KalamMekhar here.

So, how's the weather there?
  • @TenebrisNemo Don't worry too much about what we think about these three weeks.
    No one blames you or at least no one should.

It is difficult sometimes to hold on to such a large project such as this one.
    When I held my tournament I felt that if I would start to take brakes and relax too much I would lose my focus and have difficulties returning to the project within a reasonable time and maybe not at all if the interest was low. (That happened to the confrontation challenges, sadly)
    On the other side of this coin however, because I never took a real break the tournament drained most of my energy and thus harmed my influence in other parts of my life which is arguable worse.
    The tournament did make me happy though, tired but happy.

So I understand why you took a break and why it took a little time to regain your energy. It is also to me understandable why you did not say anything. I believe that it happened because you did not foresee the break to be so long and you had the trust of many contenders in this tournament whom you did not want to disappoint.
    Thus a dilemma happens. Your mind wants to keep up with the tournament but your body wants to take a deserved rest and relax.
    At least this is what I believe happened since It is what would have happened if it happened to me.

You have put very much time into this contest and in my opinion, a little too much but that is just my own silly opinion. I and most of the other contenders want you to continue this contest. You do determinate how fast and how much you want to do in this contest. The fight texts are not required so you can always reduce the effort put into those if you feel your energy is draining. Also you always have people that you can ask for help with anything. You just need to ask.

We (readers and contenders) are here to have fun together with you, not at the cost of your welfare. In the end. You are more important than some silly (but fun) tournament. So if you take 3 weeks, 3 moths or even 3 years to take care of yourself and maybe those around you in real life instead of the tournament. Then so be it.

• @Jonteman93 *Thunderous Applause*
  • @TenebrisNemo It's quite fine, I don't think anyone is upset or in a hurry to finish this up. So please by all means continue at your own pace, quality over quantity. Looking forward to the continuation of your stories! :)
  • To keep the thread active with more stories I planned to write an origin story that I mentioned in the last tournament. The boy that met seven gods.
    This is a quite significant story for some events that has or will happen in Avelaide and could provide with some insight in later parts.
    This story will be around 13-15 parts and will be written during the rest of this tournament. The first two parts won't be very relevant in the larger history except for a little more information about the gods.
    Well unless @TenebrisNemo or you others of you don't want to me to include these since they won't affect anything that happens directly in the world nor the tournament.

A little notes first. This story is held in the "real" plane which is completely cut off from the old universe (the one used in mtg).
    The plane does not have any connections to other planes and thus the tournament which still kind of exits is extremely limited in locations from which the contenders come from since they cannot come from other planes.
    However everything that happens in this story has or will happen in your version. But like I said. Nothing will directly affect the tournament nor the contenders.
    This is only extra reading for those that are interested.
  • The boy who met seven gods – Seeds planted

The sun was rising beyond the mountain top in the east covering the land dominated by forests and farms with light after the cold night.
    It was in the middle of spring and the last snow in the forest had melted away only days before leaving the forest ground soaked and muddy.
    A couple of deers were running from the forest out onto the farming lands where seven houses were located. From one of these, grey smoke had begun to rise from the chimney and light from an open fireplace lit up the windows.
    Inside the house, an old lady had started a fire to warm up the house and begin cooking food. A young boy, seven years old, sat at a table looking down on a small basket with dried leaves, seeds, some type of grass and other strange dried crops. The boy was moving his head from the basket towards the window and back to the basket over and over.

“Your mother and father won’t arrive any earlier just because you stare at the window all the time. Now do something worthwhile and stop staring at that basket. Those won’t be planted for another two weeks or so, not until Levirga sends her winds of warmth and the season begins.”
    The old lady said who probably was the boy’s grandmother .

“I promised Mother and Father that I would have the crops ready for their return and celebration” The boy answered as he moved around the dried seeds and leaves in the basket.

A dog, a brown/grey estrela mountain dog, that had lied in a bed in the corner drags himself off the bed and down onto the floor before he stood up on all four and moved towards an empty bowl.
    “You were too eager and made a stupid promise. Now help me with the fire and get some wood or go out with Byron to hunter Yorvan and get the hare he promised. If you’re lucky he maybe has some leftovers for Byron.” The old lady said while pointing a wooden spoon at the dog.
    The boy who seemed a little annoyed by his grandmother grabbed something from the basket and then he went to the door while calling for Byron before they both went outside. The air was still cold but fresh when they walked down the road in the direction of four other houses. Other people had begun to wake up and some of them where already outside working, either with a new building that was being built or preparing the fields for the upcoming seeding season. The boy and the dog walked up to a smaller house at the edge of the forest. The boy knocked and was greeted by an old man, not from the door but from beside the corner of the house. Hunter Yorvan was an old man that had earlier been serving as a soldier for the Lisakdonian army for over 25 years. However he did never really see any battle if you don’t count a couple of brawls with thieves a battle. Yorvan patted Byron on the head and served him some leftovers from an earlier butchered animal. Byron happily accepted the meaty gift.

While Yorvan prepared the hare that he had promised he asked about the boy’s parents and their expected return. They were soldiers of the army after all so Yorvan knew them since long before.
    The boy told him of their return that was expected to be that same week and that he had made a foolish promise that he could not keep since Levirga would not bless the seeding for another week at least and even less a harvestable one.
    “Then sing for her to bless your small and simple desire” Yorvan said while smiling at Byron who had already emptied his bowl and looked at Yorvan for more.
    “Grandmother says that Levirga won’t bless anyone’s harvest this early, even by song or not” The boy said while looking down at the seeds in his hands.
    “Your grandmother says a lot of things but she does not seem to know much. The secret you see with Levirga is that you have to sing a song that is older than the soil you want to use”
    “I don’t know any such old songs”
    “Haha, they say that my time in the army was wasted on drinks and useless songs but so many songs I came across. I came across one that is very old. Older than Lisakdonia itself. That song was sung to Levirga for her blessing in removing the frost after the great cold. That song will do. She will definitely listen.”

So Yorvan taught the boy what to do and the lyrics to the song before he returned back to his grandmother almost an hour later. Before beginning the song he went inside with the hare and some fire wood so that his grandmother would let him be alone for at least a while. He then prepared a little bonfire and planted the seeds just a little over a meter from the fire. He then began to dance in a circle around the fire and the planted seed while singing the song.

“Le’virga ladi ashi vedjan toghon. Ravendost sta elde fo dason of I’ere…”
    A neighbor girl, the five year old Lily saw the boy dancing around the fire with Byron lying down beside. The girl, without permission joined the boy in the dance and song, even though she did not know the lyrics. They danced and sang until their feet and lungs hurt. For what must have been hours they continued until the boy almost wanted to give up. He felt what he believed was his grandmother approaching behind him. He turned towards her waiting for some comment that their dance was just a waste of time but his grandmother was not there. Instead he looked at a being that was probably four times his height and not completely there. Like an illusion that has taken form. Levirga gave a gentle smile towards the boy and the girl who was terrified by the giant illusionary woman. She spoke the lyrics of the song as she bowed down towards the place where the seeds where planted. She swept her hand above the soil as she spoke. Then she began to become more and more transparent until she completely disappeared, still with a gentle smile towards the boy. Lily had run home and Byron was sleeping at the side. The boy bowed towards where Levirga had earlier been and then he took Byron with him and went inside.

The morning thereafter when the boy went outside he was meat with a large bush where he had planted the seeds the day before. In good timing as well since his parents returned only hours thereafter.

• Continue this, please! I would really like to see how far Zintius can get!
  • @Jonteman93 Was this lore begun in the Tournament of Champions 1? Did you enter a champion in that tournament?
    My understanding is that this story takes place in another multiverse outside of the MtG multiverse. Is there a reason for that?
  • @Lujikul Please see the art for Dirgur Nemesis.
  • @TenebrisNemo glad to have you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • @ShaperKyon No this story does not have anything to do with the tournament. It do however include many characters that are included in the tournament.
    I was the host for the first tournament so I did not include a champion of my own there.

Yes it takes Place in a universe that I have created myself. This so that I have all freedom that I need and I don't have to make any kind of relations nor comparissons to characters in the mtg universe.
  • @Everyone - Thank you for the warmest welcome which I've ever received in this site! I will continue the tournament and eagerly await for the stories which you write here!
  • @TenebrisNemo When will you be continuing the tournament?
  • The boy who met seven gods – Chapter 2: Peace of mind. part 1/3

The sun was starting to descend over the horizon in the late summer sky over the plains, the village and the nearby forest.
    A large horde of sheep were running across the plain in coordinated formations upheld by three shepherd dogs. On the top of a hill two boys on horses watched and gave orders to the dogs how they would move the sheep herd. The boys were Thomas and Simon. The 17 and 16 year old grand children to hunter Yorvan of the village.

”I’ts starting to get dark Thomas, We should probably gather up the herd and get home.”
    The boys gave the orders to the dogs and a little less than ten minutes later they were ready to move home. The three dogs joined the boys on the road home. Two of them were the 3 year old siblings Silver and Ebony, their respectively fur color. The third and oldest of the dogs was the 8 year old Byron. He was one of four motherless puppies that Yorvan had found the last days in the military soon before his retirement. Yorvan gave away the other dogs to friends in the military but Byron he kept until he came home where he found out that two of his friends from the military, Arthur and Eleanor had given birth so a son recently so he gave Byron to them. Thomas and Simon stopped before Arthur and Eleanor’s house where they left off Byron.
    ”Rest well tonight Byron. Tomorrow we have much to do” Simon said with a joking smile as Byron ran towards the back of the house where Arthur was chopping wood.

Arthur who had a large bandage over his left leg gave thanks to Simon and Arthur while he took opportunity to ask them if they had seen his mother lately. They had not seen her since she had left off gathering mushrooms earlier that morning. Arthur’s mother was old and could easily get lost. One time she was lost for almost three days before she was found. The two boys offered to search for her after they had gotten home and finished some other duties. On the way they met Arthur’s 8 year old son and the 6 year old Lily. They told the boy about his grandmother after which the boy hurried home with Lily still with him.
    Byron greeted the boy and Lily when they came home. Eleanor was cooking inside and Arthur was still chopping wood behind the house. They walked to Arthur who when he saw them put aside the axe and limped slightly towards them.

”I heard from Simon and Thomas that Grandma has gone astray again. I could go and look for her. I still remember where her chanterelle location is.” the boy said while looking at his dad’s wounded leg.
    “Thomas and Simon have already offered to search for her but if you want to you want to have your own little adventure then I won’t stop you. Just take Byron with you. “ Arthur said with a gentle smile while putting his hand on his son’s shoulder.
    “Don’t worry father. Yorvan says that the stories of the forest are just stories. The most dangerous things he has ever seen are some foxes, elks and once a lone bear.” the boy said.
    “I will help!” Lily said while still playing with Byron.
    Arthur gave the children one bow with arrows before they walked off in the direction towards grandma’s chanterelle location.

Red streams of sunlight were entering the forest from among the treetops for a little more than ten minutes before the sun descended beneath the mountains in the far distance and the forest turned darker. The path that the children were walking was an old road used by woodcutters almost century before when a wooden fortress was built at the river to the east. That fortress that was used by knights of Friyena during the crusade.

“What was the crusade?” Lily asked as they walked.

”Mother and father says that the crusade was a time when good knights that followed Sir Reynald Letholdus released the kingdom from bad people.” The boy replied.
    ”Who was Reynald Letholdus?” Lily asked further.
    ”He was the first knight to offer his loyalty to goddess Friyena and the first to be gifted with the white flame.”
    The children continued to speak while they walked through the old forest road. After a while they got to a place where a trail broke out from the main road. The children and Byron walked down onto and continued on the trail which led deep into the forest. The air had begun to get cold and the last sunlight that reflected upon the clouds had disappeared. They walked the small trail over a small river when Byron caught upon something and hurried before them. The children ran after Byron for a short distance until they caught up to him in a seemingly no special place. A few small yellow chanterelles were spread around the place. The grandmother had obviously been there and gathered the chanterelles and probably got lost afterwards.
  • The boy who met seven gods – Chapter 2: Peace of mind. part 2/3

Byron began to sound stressed and anxious as he was focusing at a direction which led to a grass field. The children walked there. Lily gave a note to the boy and pointed towards a tree that was clearly visible. In low height an arrow was stuck in the tree. Byron stopped behind a stone and sniffed at something. The boy came to him and saw the ground covered by chanterelles and a basket. It was clearly grandmother’s basket. She must have been scared by something and dropped the basket. They continued towards the field that was covered in grass taller than them. Byron was keeping a low profile as he watched around in all direction as if something was watching them. The grass field showed a clear indication that someone had moved through it earlier as the grass had been trampled. There were however two paths side by side. One larger fitting an old human woman and one small, dog sized. Byron kept whining.

“We should probably go home now. Byron don’t want to be here anymore, and neither do I” Lily said nervously.

The boy did not respond and went into the tall grass with the bow ready in his hands. Lily stood still before the grass beside Byron unsure what to do. The paths in the grass field sometimes collided into a larger mark. The boy walked further into the grass field with hands on the bow and at a moment something softer than the grass touched his arm. He looked back at the grass straws and notices that they were red. Something that could not be anything else but dried blood. The path continued in the manner but the grass became covered in more blood the further he got. The boy was shaking and wanted to return but he had promised to find grandmother so he continued. It did not take long until he saw something. Someone was lying down in the end of the field a throw cast away from him. He recognized his grandmother’s clothes directly. He ran to her but it was clear when he saw her face. She was dead. Her throat had been ripped open and her arms were covered in black bite marks. A sound of a stick cracking came from further ahead behind some trees. A black wolf with yellow ish eyes and bloody mouth appeared, starring at the boy with its teeth revealed. Terrified, the boy took his bow and shot an arrow towards the wolf and he began to run back.

The boy ran in panic and adrenaline but he was the wolf was much faster. He heard the wolf approach behind him so he tried to ready an arrow in the bow but as he turned around. The wolf jumped upon him, biting deep wounds in the boys left arm. The boy screamed as he tried to get the wolf off him with his free right arm. After a few seconds that felt like forever something jump over the wolf, freeing the boy. It was Byron. Lily came just behind and helped the boy up while Byron was leading the wolf away from them. Lily led the boy who was paralyzed by the fear and the pain. Lily felt that he wanted to run back to help Byron but she could not led him go. They ran back through the field and out into the forest, past the dropped basket and the chanterelle place.
    The boy was losing blood fast and became less conscious. Lily stopped at a moment and took of her skirt to wrap it around his bleeding arm. He had difficulties to stand up alone for longer than a few seconds. After she was done she grabbed him around the waist and forced him forward. When they came to the river, Lily heard sounds of leaves and sticks being trampled in the distance. She looked back and saw something approaching fast in towards them. She forced the boy to jump over the river with all power he had left. He landed on his stomach on the other side, too weak to stand up. Lily took up the bow and the quiver. She readied an arrow and pointed it towards the approaching wolf. The wolf stopped a couple of meters before her, growling at her.

“Stay back! Or I will harm you! Lily shouted at the wolf as she was trying to keep her arms steady even as her whole body was shaking.
    The wolf was scratching the ground with its front paws, ready to attack. Lily let loose of the arrow in towards the wolf that backed off a little so the arrow missed. Lily was not fast enough to ready another arrow before the wolf attacked her. She took the bow and hit the wolf in the right moment to avoid being hit. Lily jumped into the river in an attempt to climb the other side and get away with the boy. The wolf quickly recovered and jumped over to the other side.

”Husha! Husha!

A horse rode towards the wolf with Simon holding a spear in his hand pointed towards the wolf. The wolf back off while growling at Simon. The wolf tried to attack the legs of the horse but Simon was quick with the spear and managed to scratch the head of the wolf. Lily climbed up from the river before thinking. The wolf turned towards her instead. Shouted at the wolf trying to catch its attention but it was ineffective. The wolf ran towards Lily who it saw as an easy target. An arrow hit the wolf in the side before it could reach Lily. The wolf fell onto the ground for a few second before it stood up again prepared to attack Lily but it was hit with another arrow. Yorvan came running with Silver and Ebony beside Thomas who was mounted on another horse. Thomas ran to the boy and helped him. Yorvan ran to Lily and gave her his shirt to keep her warm. Simon asked where Byron was and Lily pointed in the direction without saying a word. Simon jumped off his horse and ran off. The wolf was still growling and moving but unable to get up. Yorvan who noticed Lily’s answer to Simon took his bow and approached the wolf. He put his boot on the wolf forcing it down with far more force than necessary while he readied an arrow. The wolf was growling and trying to bite Yorvan but he knew what he was doing. Yorvan released the arrow straight into the wolf eye and through its head, killing it instantly.

Thomas gave the boy the help he could but his wound was severe and had to be treated. Thomas then put him onto his horse and returned to the village where he could be treated. After a while Simon returned holding Byron in his arms. No words were needed since Byron’s red fur and Simon’s expression said enough. Yorvan and Thomas went in the same direction as the boy had went earlier to get his grandmother before they left the forest and returned home.
  • The boy who met seven gods – Chapter 2: Peace of mind. part 3/3

The boy was brought to an older man in the village that was able to heal most of the damage to the wound and stop the worse of the infection from the wolf’s bite. He could however not stop it completely nor could he help the boy’s mental condition. Only a very good healer could do that, or goddess Keralda. The healer later spoke to Yorvan who had been gifted a vial of peace during his military duty in case of trauma. The boy was in need of it and Yorvan had agreed even before he was approached. The funeral would be beforehand so that it would be easier for him to sorrow.

After the boy’s arm was healed, the townsfolk gathered at the old funeral were they buried the boys’ grandmother. Arthur’s mother. After the funeral. The boy, Yorvan, Arthur, Eleanor, Lily, Simon, Thomas and a few others went to the sheep hill where Thomas and Simon had dug a hole earlier. Byron who Yorvan held in his hands was wrapped in a white blanket was kept in a wooden box that Arthur had prepared. Yorvan lowered the box into the hole and then they one after one said their good bye to Byron.
    Arthur and Eleanor thanked Byron for being at their son’s side during all these years and saving his and Lily’s life.

Thomas and Simon thanked Byron for beings such a helpful shepherd and a hero.
    The boy was silent as he too much so say. He put his hand on Byron for a moment so that Byron could feel what his hearted wanted so say but was too sad to express.

“Thank you Byron for saving our lives. Thank you for all the times you have played with me and made me happy. Thank you for all times you helped me. Thank you Byron. I will never forget you. Lev’foralt Byron” Lily said with difficulties as she tried to hold her tears in check.

”Byron. A loyal companion and good friend. Somewhat of a fool but with the greatest of hearts. You always tried to keep out of danger but you would never back off when you were needed. I remember the day I got you. You were left alone of your siblings because you were uglier but that was only because your inside was the most beautiful. May you run on Levirga’s grand fields in peace. Lev’foralt Byron.” Yorvan said as Thomas and Simon closed the box and began to fill the hole.

After Byron’s funeral, Yorvan gave Eleanor the vial of peace and left together with Thomas, Simon and some others. Lily followed the boy and his parents to the gate to their home before she wished him good night and continued down the road. The boy had silent the whole day. Before he went to bed Eleanor opened the vial and told to drink it. He fell asleep and the world disappeared as he began to dream.

He woke up. He could hear a river, music and someone singing. He could also hear someone bark. The barking became louder and louder until his face was attacked by a large wet lounge. He tried to cover his face as he looked who it was. It looked like Byron. He looked around and saw someone or siting on a large stone a bit away from them. He stood up and walked away to the person that was playing a harp and singing. The being resembled a woman but of very tall status. She stopped singing when she saw the boy. She took up the boy into her lap and hugged him. She then continued to sing and play her harp. Byron was sitting before them swinging his tail back and forth. Keralda took up the boy’s arm and let her arm travel over the wound. It felt better for the boy as the infected wound healed but something remained. Something dark that Keralda seemed unable to remove

“I can give your body and mind peace but I cannot remove the darkness that lurks within your wound. I can make it harmless buy you must make sure to remain in the light and not fall to the dark. Can you promise me that you will remain within the light?

The boy did not answer except with a light nod he gave. It was not clear if it was as answer to her question or for something else. The boy sat there for what must have been an hour but he could still not get a feeling away in his head. Something was very off about this. It was not Keralda, not the wound nor the music, the singing, the river, the flowers or anything in the surrounding.
    It was Byron. He looked at Byron who happily looked back at him.
    “This is not Byron.”
    “It is Byron as created by the image of your heart’s memories of him. The real Byron is at rest.

The boy sat there for hours. He let the music and the song give peace to his body and soul while being with Byron for a last time. Even if it was fake, it was real enough.

Another year passed and not much happened in the small village until one day when Arthur and Eleanor returned from their duty. Eleanor told her son that she would be promoted to a captain of citadel guard in the capital. However to get that role she would need to go from half year duties to whole year duties and thus move to the capital. Arthur and Eleanor had agreed that it would be the best for them to take this opportunity. The boy was somewhat against it but he understood. The last winter without Byron had been extremely lonely. He would however need to say goodbye to Lily, Yorvan, Simon and Thomas. He began with Yorvan and their family. He thanked for everything and he was ordered to return one day. He then went to say good bye to Lily. She was sitting at a large lonesome tree. She had already heard the news.

“Remember when we first met. It was right under this tree five years ago. The town had gathered to celebrate the harvest that was the best in a century. I was hiding here from my mom. Byron came to see who I was followed by you. It was the first time either of us met anyone in our own age. We had so much fun then and you even got stuck up in the tree so Arthur had to climb up and get you.
    You and Byron are and were my only friends here. Simon and Thomas are too busy. Silver and Ebony are just not as friendly and fun as Byron was. I need someone to keep from going home.”

The boy remained silent.

“Promise me that you don’t forget me and that you return to me someday. You remember the stories that your mother used to tell. About the homeless beauty and the wizard? Will you be my wizard and return to me? That when you have grown older and stronger that you come back and take me away, far away where we can live together in peace.”

”If that makes you feel good than yes, of course I return to you.” The boy now said.

“Promise me” Lilly now stood up and held the boys hands in her own in breast height.

”I promise” He replied while holding her hands as well.

Lily released her hands and embraced him. ”Thank you. I will wait for you.”

The day thereafter. Arthur, Eleanor and their son moved to the capital of Lisakdonia. To Crastine.

• Good to see this thread still going. :)
  • edited July 2018
    Deleted
  • Battle of the flames

It is known by the scholars that the world and everything within it is sustained by the light and dark essence. Light essence embraces life and everything that support life such as crops, water, sunlight, plants and most of the nature. Even feelings can be affected by the light essence such as passion and love. Dark essence is found within everything related to death and what seeks to end one life to give room for another to bloom. Such as fire, lightning, famine, violence Light and dark essence work together to give the world balance. Thus it is only logical that the two connects such as storms were light essence is affected by the dark to create a deadly force. However, also dark essence can embraced by the light and provide a protective force. The white flame of Friyena is most famous of these.
This discussion has been closed.