FAQ's and Common Suggestions

Here are some of the most common questions and suggestions...

This is an ongoing post that I will be adding to as I have the free time. If I don't have an answer to something yet, be patient.
XD

Comments

• edited December 2016
    How do I edit my cards?
    (Also... "I made a mistake but if I fix it ALL my favorites will go away!)

For Premium Members the answer is simple - You Can! - In the oracle Text box on the right side of your card, you will find a pencil icon. Click that, and you will be magically transported to the Load Image page. Simply reload the image and you will be transported to the Edit Card page, with all of your information filled in. Now all you need to do is make the proper correction(s) and republish the card.
    The card will remain in your library, along with all the favorites still attached to it!
    (please note that cards made prior to July 1st, 2016 will most likely not be edit compatible.)

For non-premium users the answer is also simple. This feature is exclusively for Premium Members. If you want to become a premium member, there are a couple of ways to do it.
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/comment/25817/#Comment_25817

If, for whatever reason, you cannot become a Premium Member, the only way to edit your card is to completely remake it. My suggestion is to use the old card as a reference to make the new card, including Copy/Pasting the Oracle text from the right of the card, so you don't have to retype the entire thing.
  • edited November 2019
  • edited July 2016
    How do I start a Contest/Challenge?

Anyone can start a contest or a challenge just by clicking the "New Discussion" button, but there are a few things you might want to take into consideration before you do.

What is the difference between a Contest and a Challenge?
    This is always open for debate, but I think the commonly agreed upon definitions are that a Contest is based on competition and a Challenge is based on achievement. With that being said, you can call yours whatever you like.

What is the difference between a regular challenge and one that is just for fun?
    Challenges are considered "Just for fun" based on the following... Is it complex? If the Challenge is simple in nature, it might be just for fun. Does it have prizes? If it doesn't have prizes, or it "might" get prizes, it's definitely just for fun.

What are acceptable prizes?
    Custom made cards, Trophies and favorites are the customary prizes, just try not to go overboard on the favorites. Cardsmiths work very hard to get favorites on their cards so they can earn a spot on the favored list, and if you give out too many in a challenge, then they lose a lot of what makes them special. MTGCardsmith has also given us some guidelines to follow. Read about it here...
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4/mtg-cardsmith-forum-rules#latest

How do I make a Trophy?
    There are two ways. You can make a trophy on your own account, or you can use the -TROPHY- account. If you're a new Cardsmith we can make one for you, and if you're an established Cardsmith we can grant you access so you can make the Trophy yourself!

How long should my challenge last?
    Because people can't always get on as much as we might like, it's good to give a challenge at least a week to garner interest.

My challenge is over, how do I close it?
    Just type "This discussion is closed" and one of the Mods/Admins will close it for you when they see it.

Other Contest Notes

1. Try not to start a challenge if you can't complete it. Running over a day or two, or extending for a week or so is perfectly fine, but you need to keep in mind that people put a lot of effort into making cards and when a Challenge gets abandoned it leaves people wondering why they went to so much effort for nothing.

2. Try to make it interesting, and not the same challenge that someone else just did. When we have the same challenge over and over, or a contest with very little effort put into it, Cardsmiths start to lose interest and stop entering. This makes it frustrating for everyone involved.
  • edited June 2021

Are You Ever Going To Make/Add This?

(Also... I have a suggestion.)

If you're curious about what the MTG Cardsmith team is working on or if you have a suggestion for them... Check out this link!
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/about/new-feature-suggestions

Recent Requests

Favorites Totals
    Insert Symbols on PW's & Tokens
    Wedge/Shard Watermarks
    Edit Planeswalkers
    Flip Cards
    Flavor Bar
    2 & 4 Ability PWs
    Editing Private Messages
    Mono-color hybrid mana symbols ({2/b})
    Set Pictures
    Improved Searching
    Custom Watermarks
    Every Frame and Border Ever Made
  • edited June 2021
    What Comes With Premium Membership?
    (Also... Why do you keep asking me for money?)

MTGCardsmith has grown from a place where you could go to make a card out of an idea you had, into a full blown community. The price of building and maintaining all of this has gone up, and because we're a demanding lot, MTGCardsmith has given us a way to speed things up. This brings improvements to everyone, and special features for those who have the means to donate.

Premium Membership starts at just $5 a month

Premium Membership

https://mtgcardsmith.com/account/subscribe/

-Edit Cards after publishing
    -2000 card capacity
    -Add ANY card to your custom sets
    -Premium avatars and custom set symbols
    -Immunity from monthly card purges
    -Reduced on-site advertising
    -Early-access to new features

Gift Premium Membership
    You can also send Premium features to a fellow cardsmith or contest winner!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/store/membership

Need to use PayPal or spend those Bitcoins?
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/about/donate

If your Premium Membership runs out, your cards won't disappear, you just can't add any more on that account if you're above current capacity.
  • How Do I Change The Name On My Account?

This question comes up more often than you might think. The long and short of it is, unless you have a largely unfortunate user name, it's most likely going to remain what it is. Some consideration might be given to Premium Account members, but the reality is, you would be better off creating an entirely new account.
  • edited June 2017
    How do I delete a Custom Card Set?
    Answer provided by @modnation675

Steps:
    1) Click on your username from the homepage. [Image]
    2) Click "Sets" tab. [Image]
    3) Click on the specific set. [Image]
    4) Click on the "Edit" label beside the set description. [Image]
    5) Then lastly, click "Delete Set". [Image]

Alternate Method:
    1) Click "Profile" from the homepage. [Image]
    2) Click on the specific set. [Image]
    3) Click "Edit Set". [Image]
    4) Continue from step number 4 of last method.
  • edited July 2017
    How do I print custom tokens?
    (Also... "I want to play with my cards, but I don't know how!!)

https://mtgcardsmith.com/blog/printing-custom-mtg-tokens
  • edited December 2017
    Does WotC ever use card ideas from MTGCardsmith?
    (Also... "When will MaRo be calling me with a job offer?!!)

Employees at Wizards of the Coast are not allowed to look at unsolicited cards, so as a result no one from WotC will be knocking on our door to pilfer our best Cardsmiths.
  • edited November 2019
    Why are physical prizes not given to non-US Cardsmiths?

Shipping physical packages outside of the US is often at least the same cost as the prize, or in some cases 2-5x the cost of the actual prize. It doesn't make sense for us to spend money that way, when we could be using that to fund other prizes and contests. Unfortunately it is the same case when it comes to playmats and international shipping.
  • edited November 2019
    Can I import cards from a different card maker to Cardsmith?
    You cannot, you'll have to remake any that you want to see here from scratch.
  • edited November 2019
    Are you going to make a mobile app?

Mobile app is not in the cards, sorry friends its not going to happen for many reasons.
    https://savvyapps.com/blog/how-much-does-app-cost-massive-review-pricing-budget-considerations

But we are always working on improving the mobile browser experience!
  • I have noticed that the silver border cards all have a grey p/t box.
    image image
  • edited September 2019
    I'd like to start a petition to fix the way mana symbols display in rules text.

Currently they display to large and slightly above the top and bottom of a capital letter.
    As with actual MtG cards, the top and bottom of a mana symbol in rules text should be
    justified to exactly align with the top and bottom of a capital letter within the same text.

(Same applies to {t}, etc.)
  • edited September 2019
    Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    image image
    The symbols should fit within the parentheses the same way a capital letter does.
    Currently @MTGCardsmith's are larger than a capital letter and situated higher.
  • edited September 2019
    Holy cow, i never realized it was that much of a difference. If the code has the style = extension already while importing, then it can just be sized down with font-size. Otherwise, they would have to add the extension. If neither are applicable, they could always just reduce the pixel size of the icons manually. But that's a lot more work.
  • @foxman2 just found out a way to indent text without periods:

Check out our discussion over here:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/headhunter-twins

"You can remove the periods in the spaces... by hitting the tab key in another document and copy and pasting it into Cardsmith." - @foxman2
  • Fix the search bar. It searches All the things separately instead of only searching for all the words together.
  • edited November 2019
    @foxman2 @Faiths_Guide That’s so cool!!!!!
  • edited November 2019
    Could we get the watermarks for the Tarkir Clans in gold and each other applicable color?
    (Perhaps the dragon versions as well?)
  • +1 on that @Faiths_Guide suggestion!
  • Can we get the activity tab on mobile please? It would be nice, but I don't know if it can happen because of the forum service.
  • edited December 2019
    Could we have custom frame/mana symbol/watermark url options in cardmaker page, just like we have custom set icon url options?
  • We really do need the Tarkir clans' watermarks.
  • Can we get the "actual" God borders in addition to the non-legendary version we have now?
  • I'll be slammed until the end of the month, but after that I'll work on frames for sure!
  • @Tomigon, while something like that is ideal, the logistics of making it happen are complicated.

A reminder that most of the domain costs and pay for graphic designers comes out of @mtgcardsmith’s pocket, as he explained to me once. Knowledge of this is the source of my seemingly endless patience when it comes to waiting for updates, since I know that they take time and money.