Rezatta — VISION DESIGN PHASE

Comments

• We could call a mechanic enlighten, though I have zero idea what it’d do. More of a replacement name for Rebirth, honestly.
  • edited July 2018
    How about some negative space design?
    May need some clearance tweaks to make it read well.

Is a Rorschach Test thematically synonymous with Renaissance?
    If not, I may be dropping the ball with this one (and some of the previous iterations as well). XD

Also, portions of this could be designed to be permanently filled in black if it helped make it read better.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Wow that was quick! =o
    My first reaction is that it looks really exciting at full scale! :) You first see the heart, then the palette, and the round head is just a hint at the butterfly. I think it's very stylized and beautiful to look at.

As for card size, I made different tests, the first three are with a transparent backround while the last three are filled inside. I also tested inverted set icons like Dominaria:

I personally think it looks great! It has that detailed finesse like it's been woven, it reminds me a bit of Kaladesh but it looks different enough. You clearly see the details but you also have an overall shape that is instantly recognizable. Most people would think it's just a stylized heart and then realize later there's more to it.

I think the version with the background actually helps to read the details at Rare (but I have a soft spot for set icons that use both black and white in general so I may be biased). I think the regular non-inverted black on white common icon looks fine, but I still wanted to test the inverted one just in case.

So far, it's possibly my favourite one. I need to take a step back and sleep on it but it made a big first impression on me. What do other people think about it?

• I really like this version of the set symbol!
  • edited July 2018
    Those last 4 (one in each rarity) really appeal to me.

If there are any minor, or major, tweaks you'd like to request @ningyounk or @anyone, feel free to comment and I'll upload another iteration for consideration.

I'll post a refined version of the last one in two secs.
  • I am not very nitpicky about set symbols, but this is definitely getting close to a sweet settling point. I like the composition of the ones with black backboards. Could we also see nonblack backgrounds there?
  • edited July 2018
    This might be the wrong spot for this but I mentioned it earlier and then made one and had to post it.
    Rebirth puts things on the battlefield so if you cast it with rebirth from your graveyard, it resurrects. That interaction helped make this card possible.
  • @brcien @Faiths_Guide
    Here's the full gradient from common to mythic with the cleaned up version, with or without background. Without background, the little details create weird shapes because of how the borders touch which is why I personally prefer with the background so far. I find it easier to read:

@BorosPaladin
    You're at the right place for concept cards! =)
    I see where the concept comes from but you're deconstructing the mechanic a lot which is a bit hard on a set mechanic. When you're trying to implement a new mechanic, let's say poison counters or embalm for instance, you wouldn't want to immediatly start doing cards that say "Players with 10 poison counters don't lose the game" or "You can pay the Embalm cost of this creature from exile" ^^ At this point, I think it would be better to write this without Rebirth than try to bend Rebirth that hard ;)
  • @ningyounk
    Oooh, I like it with the background! Any revisions to request?
  • The top one looks best.
  • The ones with backgrounds are definitely better because the spots don’t get lost in translation.
  • @Faiths_Guide

I'd keep the one with the black background, easier on the eyes.
  • Sounds like, almost all of us, are agreed!
  • Nice set symbol!
    Also, I was wondering whether this cycle of auras would work: (the names are just placeholders :P)

Talent of Writer
    2W Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has first strike.
    At the beginning of your end step, if you gained life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Painter
    1U Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has flying.
    At the beginning of each upkeep, if you didn't lose life since your last turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Dancer
    3B Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has menace.
    At the beginning of your end step, if you lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Singer
    2R Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has haste.
    At the beginning of your end step, if your opponent lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Sculptor
    3G Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has trample.
    At the beginning of your end step, if 3 or more life was gained or lost this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Notes about the cycle:
    The blue one has a different trigger due to its condition, and is the cheapest as the condition is the hardest to fulfill (in my opinion)
    The black and green ones are more expensive because of the abilities they grant and how easy their conditions are to fulfill (again, in my opinion).
  • edited July 2018
    @Faiths_Guide
    No revisions for me, I slept on it and I'm still very impressed by this version ^^ It has a strong visual identity, looks very refined at full size while still reads well at card size, and has both an immediatly recognizable shape and several layers of subtler details to discover. I'd be perfectly happy to use this as the final set icon, on my part =D

@LyndonF
    I find the concept interesting, it reminds me a bit of the ordeal cycle of the Gods of Theros which also repeatably put a +1/+1 counter on the enchanted creatures.

I believe the fact that this version has no ceiling would make them a little too swingy for common and I'm not sure they pack enough value for uncommon.
    The Theros enchantments also had an attack trigger which helped remembering it (since you put the +1/+1 counter as you tap the creature to attack, so it triggers when you're looking at it) and this life-matters cycle may require a bit too much attention.

For now though, we're also considering the idea of removing the different triggers in the light of feedback from the GDS3 on how various life-matters cards were handled. We're considering a unified trigger that lets you trigger it the way you want, making some colours feel less parasitic/complex (If 3 or more life were gained and/or lost this turn, EFFECT). That said, we can still use those triggers on individual cards, but they need to be really impactful to justify doing a full cycle of them.
  • @ningyounk
    I see... Maybe if we change the clause for blue from "if you didn't lose life since your last turn" to "if you haven't lost life this turn" it might be easier to unify things...

Also, for the cycle, what about:

Talent of Writer
    2W Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has vigilance.
    When (this card) enters the battlefield, if you gained life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Painter
    2U Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.
    When (this card) enters the battlefield, if you haven't lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Dancer
    2B Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has menace.
    When (this card) enters the battlefield, if you lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Singer
    2R Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has first strike.
    When (this card) enters the battlefield, if your opponent lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

Talent of Sculptor
    2G Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has trample.
    When (this card) enters the battlefield, if 3 or more life was gained or lost this turn, put a +1/+1 counter of enchanted creature.

(unified the cmc and changed the counter trigger on etb instead of end step)
    But they don't seem to be playable if you don't fulfill the condition...
  • @ningyounk
    I'm glad you're pleased with the set symbol!

I have one other suggestion for you, this would just be a third take on the same thing for our comparison:
    Make the inner shapes "hollow" instead of the color of the rarity while leaving the black background.

This "third layer" of symbol depth may be more confusing, or it may look even prettier.
  • edited July 2018
    Here's the rough idea in MS Paint on a couple of the images:
  • @Faiths_Guide
    I'm afraid leaving the inner shapes hollow is not possible, unfortunately. Because they're so small, they would automatically be filled with the automatic border :/
  • edited July 2018
    Well, that answers that, unless the width of the border be added to the shapes?

As shown here:

Pumped up once more:
  • where can I find the cards for this set and will the story be accessible when it is completed?
  • also, i will want to play test this set, it looks amazing and fun
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Sorry, I don't think I understand what you mean, I'm super lost right now >.<"

@TheGamingBolasChannel
    We have no cards in the actual set file as we're still shaping the larger frame of the set. We do have a lot of concept cards and I have collected them until a certain point but my file is not up-to-date right now and a lot of cards are made for alternate and older versions of the set so there would be little point in sending you the link x)

Things got a little shaken up after GDS3 that stir an important conversation on the mechanics needed for the set. Also, based on GDS3 once more, I figured the best way to start playtests was not necessarily the all-commons draft that was the main goal until now but rather mini-decks allowing us to playtest the mechanics themselves first, in a more confined environment.

On my part, I have built a small UR deck around Compose and I'm in the middle of building a WB deck around psylian life and the "frisky" mechanic, I'm waiting to have both ready and uploaded to either Untap.in or Cockatrice so they can be played against each other before showing them. I'm hoping it won't be long since I made a lot of cards for the second deck and just need to pick what actually goes in the deck.

You can build your own deck of custom cards if you want to help digging into some mechanics and/or themes! :)

P.S: The story is building up on a separate thread, we do plan on having it released with the set ^^

• @ningyounk
    I assumed the automatic border to have a constant width (as I believe it does), so I enlarged the inner shapes to offset that border width. I believe they would appear hollow with that last and largest size.

Am I the one confused?
  • @ningyounk good to know. Count me in as your first playtester. when cards begin to be finalized, I'm going to want to have the link to them so I can start making some decks, poorly i might add, around the deck types at the start of this thread. I want to be able to explore this amazing set you have made, wish wizards would print it since it seems like it is almost wizard quality.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Oh I think I get it now! Well there are only two colours possible (filling and borders) so this requires to make a hole inside the border color that's filling the heart so you can see the card's colour through it, if I understand correctly?
    While theoretically it works, practically the holes are too small to see any difference in colours, you can barely see them at card size (also you have to reverse the common symbol if you don't want it to look plain white):

And I used the version where the holes are bigger to get this result :/
  • @ningyounk
    OK, cool, then we'll just stay with the original one. Thanks for testing.
  • edited July 2018
    Attempting to make another cycle around discover:

Discoverer of Postures
    1W
    Dwarf
    2/1
    When (this creature) enters the battlefield, discover an artifact card. If an artifact card is put into your hand this way, put a +1/+1 counter on (this creature).

Discoverer of Verses
    1U
    Faerie
    1/1
    When (this creature) enters the battlefield, discover an instant card. If an instant card is out into your hand this way, put a +1/+1 counter on (this creature).

Discoverer of Melodies
    2B
    Siren
    2/2
    When (this creature) enters the battlefield, discover a sorcery card. If a sorcery card is out into your hand this way, put a +1/+1 counter on (this creature).

Discoverer of Moves
    2R
    Human
    2/1
    When (this creature) enters the battlefield, discover a creature card. If a creature card is out into your hand this way, put a +1/+1 counter on (this creature).

Discoverer of Scenery
    4G
    Elf
    3/2
    When (this creature) enters the battlefield, discover a land card. If a land card is out into your hand this way, put a +1/+1 counter on (this creature).

Notes about cards:
    The card types for Blue, Black and Green are pretty solid in my opinion. Suggestions welcome for White and Red members of the cycle.
    Creature types are somewhat suggestive of what races may live here.
    P/T decided by considering the creature draws a card when etb.
  • A card that works with both Rebirth and Psylian life

Master of Life (uncommon)
    3W
    Human
    1/4
    Whenever a creature is reborn, gain 1 Psylian life.
    Rebirth costs of creatures you control cost {1} less.
This discussion has been closed.