Tales from Beyond!

Comments

• edited July 2018
    @Arceus8523 The trick with this is that you would keep the instant or flash card, then stockpile it for later! ^-^
  • @ManaChrome
    Well with your current wording, you can only use the cards the exact turn you pull them.
  • @Arceus8523 With the current "You may play cards exiled with Epitome of Possibility," you should be able to pull from the any cards you exiled with the same card, even ones from the past.

Take a look at Profane Procession and Tomb of the Dusk Rose as an example:

imageimage

And even Knowledge Pool if you wanna see an example of an artifact that allows you to cast any cards exiled with it:

• @ManaChrome
    The card says "You may play cards exiled with epitome of possibility this turn." This means the effect only lasts a turn.
  • @Arceus8523 Yes, meaning that, this turn, you may cast cards exiled with Epitome.

Although I believe this is only a matter of wording that's the issue. I believe that "Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled with Epitome of Possibility" matches up with the tome's intended effect.
  • @ManaChrome
    OOOOH! You mean any cards exiled with it, past or present. I feel like the most clear way to depict that is just to have the cast of the card tied to it remaining in exile (see Gonti, lord of Luxury).
  • edited July 2018
    I think we can simply add custom cards to our hand. That would make the card much more simple. In Untap.in we don't use sleeves so there's no problem if the custom cards are shuffled into libraries.

(Edited) NOTE: I was thinking that all players prepare 100 custom cards in their face-down pile zone before the game.

• @Tomigon
    Yeah, good point. It probably is fine to do that.
  • edited July 2018
    @Tomigon
    The only issue is that it won't allow you on Untap to add cards of one players' to another's hand (as far as I'm aware).

In the scenario we are discussing, only @ManaChrome would actually have the ability to "do" anything with the custom cards as he'll be the only one with them in his "deck."

@ManaChrome
    This idea actually works a lot better in Paper Magic. Do you have people to test this with? If so, you could just print the customs and sleeve them on top of real cards. It would be a great way to test the ideas feasibility.
  • Entry #1:

• Entry #2:

• Entry #3:

• Entry #4:

• Entry #5:

• @Faiths_Guide
    So @ManaChrome is the only player who has Epitome of Possibility in deck? Then shouldn't it say "Any player may activate this ability"?
  • @Tomigon
    My understanding was each player started the game with one of those on the battlefield.
  • How do you make full art cards
  • @Arceus8523
    I thought so too but @Faiths_Guide says ManaChrome is the only one who has custom cards in his deck.

@pjbear2005
    I think you need to use magic set editor
  • If everyone agree to use custom cards before the game, each player can start the game with Epitome of Possibility on the battlefield and 100 custom cards in face down pile. In this case, I think adding cards from their face down pile to their hand is the simplest.

If you start the game with players who have only normal cards in their decks and you ask them "do you want to use custom cards?" during the game, things get complex. I believe it's possible, but cards like bounce spells cause issues, because no one owns the custom cards that come from out side the game. I think using copies and tokens that are copies of custom cards can solve that problem, because they disappear when they leave stack or battlefield. But the text becomes very long. Something like this-

"At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player may pay {x}. If they do, they choose a custom card from outside the game at random and reveal it. If it's an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost X or less, they may cast a copy of it without paying its mana cost until their next turn. If it's a permanent card with converted mana cost X or less, they may create a token that's a copy of it until their next turn."
  • edited July 2018
    Sorry for confusing you all.

I was referring to how @ManaChrome’s card was worded, and also to the fact that you can’t “gift” decks in untap. If you want to just start a game giving people the ability to play with you, only @Manachrome (in this example) would have acess to the custom card deck. Each player would have a copy of the face up custom Epitome.

Otherwise you’d have to prep people, tell them which cards to add and how to do so, etc. etc. I don’t think it would be viable.

Also, a solution to the custom card conundrum would be a variant of the original wording suggestion I made:
    If a custom card would leave the battlefield, stack, or be put into a graveyard, return it to the face-down pile instead.
  • edited July 2018
    @Faiths_Guide @Tomigon This indeed is the problem with the custom cards going into places they aren't meant to go in!

@Faiths_Guide I like the wording on the extra effect that prevents this! However, I believe that Whenever a player casts a custom spell, if it would be put into a player's hand, graveyard, exile, or library, return it to the facedown pile instead. is a more fitting wording so that permanent cards don't immediately disappear when they resolve.

I think I'm gonna either put this effect on another artifact to lessen the words on Epitome. Maybe I'll put it on an enchantment that only I control since it effects everyone.
  • Just to put my 2 cents in... I've played bounce counter exile even chaos custom decks in my playgroup with custom cards both everyone had all custom cards in their decks and a mix of cards real and custom etc. etc. and we've never had a problem. (we printed the custom cards off in color pages at the library and we put the custom cards after we cut them out in sleeves covering basic common cards) we only did this a few times and the sleeves helped keep track as to where everyone's cards was at. We just treated the cards like it was any normal kitchen table casual commander edh game, we had fun and no fuss (except aryanfs alfalfa creature is waaaaay to op I think! If she reads this, love you dear lol)

Anyways it don't have to be that complex. The game is to have fun so go simple with it but make sure everyone's cool about it. Share the cards and or have everyone look at the cards before you start the game. Its worth a shot and its fun even if you get slaughtered by plant tokens lol.
  • edited July 2018
    @Faiths_Guide
    I think the spell that's resolving is also leaving the stack. With that wording, we can never get permanents.

@ManaChrome
    "Whenever a player casts a custom spell," isn't necessary. It doesn't need to say "exile" too because exile is the zone players share. So my suggestion is
    "If a custom card would be put into a player's hand, graveyard, or library, return it to the face-down pile instead."

I also suggest you to give a new name to the pile, because players might be using another card that uses face-down pile. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Mangara's+Tome

@sorinjace
    lol, we're are talking about playing the card in Untap.in. Not in real world. In Untap, players can't put cards they get from someone else's pile into their libraries. If a player try to do so, the card is automatically removed from the game. That's why custom cards must be returned to face-down pile if they would be put into players' hands, graveyards, or libraries.
  • Ya, that wording was asjusted too hastily.

Testing it out in paper would probably have the best results.
  • edited July 2018

To @Tomigon:
    I'll try and see what I can do ^-^ Currently having some school things in the way, but I'll try and tweak the design of the tome accordingly.

To All:
    I look forward to all your entries :) It seems that there are more comments concerning the design of the tome than are entries for cards, but I guess that's understandable. I sure do hope nobody forgets that this is an actual contest with real prizes and that the tome means nothing if we don't get the right amount of cards for it XD.
  • Here's some older cards I've made that I think are balanced enough to work here...
    imageimage
  • edited July 2018
    Alright! To give this post a bunch of bumps while I'm busy with other things, I've decided to shine a spotlight on some cards from MTGCardsmith history that would be really interesting to see play! Although it doesn't necessarily meansthat this card will automatically pulled to the 100 cards for the pile for the tome (even though most of the time it will), it does feel nice to remember the designs and designers that came before! *raises glass*

Although they have left MTGCardsmith to chase other dreams, Animist was a great source of imaginitive designs and advice! Check out this full art version of Grovarg Cultist with updated art in honor of this amazing cardsmith! (Click on the card to visit the original card!)

• If @ManaChrome is going to be in the game too in order to give out cards, doesnt that mean he can be a third player? So if you assign ownership of the custom deck to him and he skips all turns, whenever someone would use a custom card, it just goes into ManaChrome's graveyard instead. It also allows the epitome to use Gonti's wording since it's now targeting a player in the game.
This discussion has been closed.