Brothers from Other Mothers (CIRCUIT CHALLENGE)

124»

Comments

• This challenge ends tomorrow!!!!
  • edited August 2018

He keep the fam safe like a real one
  • edited August 2018
    Entry 1 and 2:
    image image
  • Edit: Updated Abyssal Patron above.
  • THIS CONTEST ENDS IN FIVE HOURS!!!! AFTER 11:45 PM IST I WILL ACCEPT NO MORE ENTRIES.

Loving the last minute entries here. Keep it going!

@modnation675: thanks for the bump!
  • I was gonna post a rat in this discussion until I realized part of its ability is broken as a commander.
  • edited August 2018
    This contest is CLOSED!!! Judging will commence shortly.
  • Entry #3

• @Quni: I'm afraid to say that the deadline was already over. I really like that card though! It pains me to reject it!
  • I can't wait to see the results!
  • edited August 2018
    It's about to get tribal in here, because the results are IN! This was perhaps the hardest challenge I have ever judged, as there were many entries of a very high calibre. It was hard to sort them out, so some cards have ended up losing out on the minutest of criteria. Here are some of the criteria I used to separate really close entries:

1. I gave more preference to cards that incentivise you to play a tribe. In other words, if you have two Pirate tribal cards, but one needs only one Pirate to function well while the other gets better with more Pirates, I'd value the latter a bit higher.
    2. Small things like whether the rarity you assigned the card is appropriate, or whether the flavour text doesn't agree with the mechanics, or whether the art was a bit risque or wasn't credited to the artist, or whether the name/art/concept already exists in Magic.
    3. I penalised color pie breaks unless they were fully justified.

Without further ado, here are the results:

Honorable mentions: Devoted Goblin by @Lastjustice and Jade Warrior-Totem by @bnew07

I'm lumping their analysis together, because they both have similar issues, but I must state that I absolutely love the idea of both cards. They are huge flavour wins with nice functionality. Devoted Goblin solves the main issue with big flashy angels like Baneslayer in that they don't generate immediate value and need to survive in order to do work. Jade Warrior-Totem gives your early Merfolk drops some survivability and works well with Deeproot Waters, and the counters synergy is fairly important in Ixalan block (which it was intended for). The issue here is cost, but not in the same direction. Where Devoted Goblin is overcosted, Jade Warrior-Totem is undercosted. A 4 mana 2/2 is extremely sub par, and it could have easily costed 3 or even 2, since its effect doesn't do anything immediately (most angels will start coming down only on turn 4 and beyond). On the other hand, a colorless 2 drop 3/3 will see play everywhere, as Scrapheap Scrounger can testify (the Scrounger is undoubtedly more powerful though). Two counters would have sufficed, rather than 3 (or an increase to 3 mana). Nevertheless, both these entries were excellent, well done!

3rd place: Angel of Ascension by @fiskerton

Now here's an angel that generates immediate value! Angel of Ascension is the kind of strong ETB creature that has terrorized Standard of late. There are quite a few ways to get a Cleric into the yard; some recent examples that come to mind are saccing a Remorseful Cleric or a Scribe of the Mindful, or Vizier of the Anointed tutoring for Temmet or some such Cleric. This makes a great reanimation target as well for decks like GPG (being 4/4 means it loses no stats from that). What sets it behind the others in third place is criterion 1 I mentioned earlier: this just needs one Cleric in the yard, and doesn't incentivise you to play clerics. In fact, you can just play a regular reanimator deck with a few more clerics than usual and still get value out of this. The flavour is on point, however, and this is a great card. It's insanely powerful, well costed and balanced, incentivises building around -- a classic mythic.

2nd place: Byron, Helpful Shepherd by @Jonteman93

The callback to Nyx-Fleece Ram (to my knowledge the only other sheep in MtG) is delightful. Watchwolf stats are an appropriate pushing, considering Sheep aren't really a tribe (yet). This is an effect that scales with number, which was precisely what I would want to see from a tribal card: this incentivises (I've used this word too much, I'm sorry) me to build a sheep deck. It's a Watchwolf with upside, how bad can it be?

1st place: Fertilizer Druid by @Faiths_Guide

As I mentioned earlier, I love simple, uncommon lords. Such as this, the smaller cousin to Avenger of Zendikar. What sets it apart from the splashy mythic is that unlike Avenger, you will actually have to play Plants to get any value out of this, since the second ability is far too slow to rely on. Combos well with fetches, and will demand an answer immediately, because 2-3 lands down the line it's already too late, as the opponent will have to face down an army of 3/4 plants! Of course, they could just wrath them all. But then you peel off a second copy of Fertilizer Druid and that's where the second ability comes into play: for a go-wide deck like Plants, it's a great way to rebuild the board after a wrath. I can see this being a limited all-star for any green deck, and a major component of a constructed Plant deck. The defending champion of the circuit challenge is off to a strong start!

I believe the points to be awarded are as follows:

@Faiths_Guide: 1
    @Jonteman93: 3/4
    @fiskerton: 1/2
    @bnew07: 1/4
    @Lastjustice: 1/4

I had a blast hosting this one, thank you @Corwinnn-ji for letting me do this!
  • @KalamMekhar

Thanks for the HM!
    I feel super dumb because Jade Warrior-Totem was supposed to have defender but when I edited it i must have forgot to put it on the card and didn’t realize it. I think if it had defender as I intended it would have been much more reasonable power level wise (I agree a 2 mana 3/3 is busted haha).
  • @bnew07: oh no! Jade Warrior-Totem would have been perfect with defender, from both a flavour and balance standpoint! I'm sorry that happened!
  • @KalamMekhar

Thanks a lot. It was totally an oversight on my part. I probably edited it about 5 times and just forgot about defender the last time.
  • @KalamMekhar
    Wow, you did a very nice job commenting on the entries! Thank you very much for the contest (and the results:).

Congrats other @Winners and @Mentionables!
  • Thanks for the contest @KalamMekhar and grats to the winners!
  • Standings Updated! Congrats to ALL the winners and HMs!!
This discussion has been closed.