Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• Well what if you made it so that a creature with mount can’t be mounted by a creature with greater power? Just because typically, the higher the power, the bigger the creature.
  • edited August 2018
    Two "new" ones:
    Leaderless (This creature can't block and attacks an opponent chosen at random each turn if able.)

Reclusive (This creature can’t be the target of spells or abilities you control and can't be sacrificed.)

Thank you, @Tomigon for helping me to refocus these.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Leaderless needs to say when do you choose an opponent. Ruhan chooses at the beginning of your combat. How about...
    (This creature can't block. At the beginning of your combat, choose a player at random. This creature attacks that player this combat if able.)

But my favorite idea is
    (At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a player at random. If an opponent is chosen this way, this creature attacks that player this turn if able. If you are chosen this way, tap this creature.)
    I still like the old version's idea; Sometimes it becomes lazy and takes a nap.
  • edited August 2018
    @Tomigon
    Your last version is definitely the best!

Leaderless (At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a player at random. If an opponent is chosen this way, this creature attacks that player this turn if able. Otherwise, tap this creature.)

In most games this means that there is a 50/50 chance he taps, and 50/50 he's forced to attack. This is a drawback mechanic both ways, so the creature can be quite pushed.

In multiplayer this could be 75% chance to attack a random opponent and 25% to tap, more drawback with an interesting split.

Lately WoTC tries to avoid keywords that are strictly negative, so this would probably not be, but it is still very neat and flavorful!
  • edited August 2018
    @Tomigon
    Nice! Be sure to use the shorter "Otherwise" version. Check this out for examples.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Yeah.. about that.. I think I prefer "If you are chosen this way,". Because "... if able. Otherwise ..." is slightly confusing. But I don't know. I like shorter text so maybe I'll use "otherwise".
  • edited August 2018
    @Tomigon
    The reminder text lays out two options: If an opponent is chosen this way... Otherwise...

WotC uses it the same way, it references the parameter from the previous sentence(s) and tells you what to do if they weren't met.
  • edited August 2018
    Hivemind (This creature has all passive abilities among creatures you control with hivemind.)
    Basically interspecies slivers.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Dryad Greenseeker lays out two options too(land or nonland), and doesn't say anything about what to do if the top isn't land.

My concern is, "attacks that player this turn if able. Otherwise, tap this creature." part might make people think like "if the creature can't attack that player, that creature becomes tapped. Let's give it defender then."
  • I am scanning all of the effects, page 1 through 27, I am on page nine and I thought that Drake Umbra was someone here's and I wrote totem armor down as an effect I could see myself using. XD
  • edited August 2018
    I don't know if in pages 11 and beyond someone already has this but, I made a mechanic to simplify putting the top cards from the library to the graveyard for a blue/black creature effect.

Mill (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player puts cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard equal to the damage dealt.)

I decided to call it mill because whenever people play Dimir cards that do that to me, they say for my to mill cards. (Hopefully if that is a real term it doesn't confuse anybody.

I am still keeping this here, but I saw that on page 24, Psychic is mostly the same other than that this still deals damage. SO THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!! MY ACCIDENTAL DIFFERENCE!
  • I have a wording for Bulk, the creature equivalent of adaptability. I basically copy pasted the format but something about of it doesn't quite sound right. Thoughts?

Bulk (As long as a white creature is on the battlefield, this creature has ________. The same is true for blue and ________, black and ________, red and ________, & green and ________.)

Any ideas for other ways this effect could be used?
  • @Tomigon
    Seems like a valid concern, but I don't think it necessitates a lengthening.
  • edited August 2018
    Host (This creature has all of the activated abilities of creatures with host counters on them.)
  • edited August 2018
    These are the abilities I've used on my cards so far. Dunno if any of them are repeats of anything on here.

Adapt (When [this creature] enters the battlefield, you may place a -1/-1 counter on it to give it Flying. Repeat this for first strike, lifelink, hexproof, trample, reach, haste and undying.)
    Example

Legendwalk (This creature is unblockable as long as defending player controls a Planeswalker or legendary creature.)
    Example

Finale - Whenever a saga you controlled leaves the battlefield, [effect].
    Example

Collaborate with [Planeswalker type] (As you cast this, you may remove any amount of loyalty counters from a [Planeswalker type] planeswalker you control. Each loyalty counter removed this way pays for {1}.)
    Example

Megaprowess (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gets +1/+1 for each noncreature spell cast this turn until end of turn.)
    Example

Biolysis N (When enchanted/equipped creature dies, create N token copies of [this card]. )
    Example

Solidarity (This creature gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control that shares a subtype with it.)
    Example

Guard (Whenever you would take any damage, you may assign all of that damage to [this creature].)
    Variant: [Permanent] Guard
    (Whenever [permanent] would take any damage, you may assign all of that damage to [this creature].)

Example
  • What if you did mount the same as crew? So like:
    Mount N ( tap any creature you control with power N: until end of turn, this creature and the tapped creature attack or block together)
  • @Fiskerton is finale your custom keyword ability/mechanic? I like it a lot!
  • @baryonyx69 that wording won't work due to what you have within it's own rules text. Here's a suggestion for Mount:

"Mount N ( tap N untapped creature(s) you control. Until end of turn, this creature becomes mounted.)

When (cards name) becomes mounted, (effect.) Until end of turn."

Hopefully this helps. It may not be dead on but I believe it gets you closer to what your looking for.
  • edited August 2018
    @sorinjace yes finale is mine. Thanks!
  • edited August 2018
    Hey @fiskerton if your not busy I could ask you a favor could you create a new phyrexian creature for the creature feature contest using the new phyrexia set symbol? The current request is an artifact insect creature. So since this deadlines theme is new phyrexia, it'd be an artifact insect that could pass for a believable New Phyrexia creature. Itd help a lot. Ranshi922 says he dont know anything about new phyrexia.
  • @sorinjace Ah yes! I should have realized that! I’m an idiot. Ok, well that is closer indeed, so thank you for your help. I wanted a mount mechanic because I’m planning to make an Ark: Survival Evolved set, and a mount mechanic is somewhat necessary.
  • @sorinjace I'll see what I can do
  • Parasitic (As this creature enters the battlefield, attach it to a creature. If the creature this creature is attached to leaves the battlefield sacrifice this creature.)

Parasitic creatures can help or harm their host
  • edited August 2018
    Coalesce (This spell counts as both an instant and a sorcery spell.)

A mostly useless mechanic except for a few instances.

Example of a spell with Coalesce:
  • Gearborn (When ____ enters the battlefield, return target noncreature artifact card with converted mana cost less than ____'s converted mana cost from your graveyard to your hand.)
  • Skyfly N (Whenever ____ attacks, if it is blocked by a creature with flying, roll a six sided dice, if you roll an N or above, ____ is unblockable this turn.
  • Skyfly primarily appears on vehicles.
  • Dusk Awakening (If a black creature has dealt damage to a player this turn, (effect).)