Vryn codename Chessworld

2»

Comments

• I guess checkmate as well too, to keep the balance?
  • @Sorinjace, I didn't really write much more for Sana beyond what I already have done, but I'd love to write something more!
  • Brcien cool thank you. I'll make you some cards when I find time to later. I have to find food for my wife at her apartment so if I get time in between I'll hook it up.
  • @Brcien, I remembered that Mage-Ring Responder existed, and thought we may want to put more focus on the (clearly very developed) Golems of Vryn.
  • Here's a Mini Responder, if you will.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mana-ring-thief?list=user here is card from the dead Vryn thread you might be interested in @erinscards any thoughts?
  • I think it's a great card!

I love the idea of a stealthy, theiving robot.
  • edited August 2018
    Also! I recently watched a worldbuilding video on MtG:

And I think the most relevant bit would be 6:02, which is effectively a creature checklist for any set. Apparently, if a world can't believably have at least three of each of these boxes, they scrap that world.
  • I wanted to fill the "medium red" creature box, and realized that we've already established there are dog-people on this plane (thanks @undead!)

So I decided to put in dog people. And gave them a mechanic that I felt was "reactive" but also suitably red and/or green.
  • @brcien, @sorinjace Thoughts on making green/blue faeries a thing on vryn? or at least, Fey of some kind.
  • @ErinsCards Do you already have the faeries made? What's their part of the lore? It could be interesting.
  • What makes you think Fairies? I love the tribe so In definitely interested but the blue slots are very tight for this set I think.
  • @Brcien, I thought Fairies/Fey because...

1.) I'm sick to death of elves, but we need something green to balance out the heavy Mardu and Bant (and Gruul if you're good on the dog-people)

2.) Vryn is a world consting mostly of deserts, the mage rings, and forests. Fey seem like a great way to incorporate a mystical nature element, without clashing with the rest of the world.

3.) It's been ages since Fey were a thing and I love them.
  • edited September 2018

I was inspired by Verdillion Clique's ETB ability, and i thought that "return to hand" abilities would be an interesting mechanic for faeries.
  • edited September 2018
  • edited September 2018
    I went with a selesnyan card for the underdog, I didn't know if this would be allowed on these colors, but it felt right when I made it:

**edited**

I will also create a checkmate card for you guys as well. Hope you guys like them and may be able to use them in your project! @brcien and @ErinsCards

I couldn't help but think "Demon" for checkmate ability. Think of Liliana and her pact she made with Belzenlok, Razaketh, Griselbrand, etc. etc. you get it. Well with Ampryn being the rich class so to speak, wouldn't it make sense they would have their own demons and creatures that watch over their fortunes? and wouldn't it also be true that there would be spies/rogues within such establishments that would love to get their greedy hands on the valuables? in addition, wouldn't the Separtists want to not struggle anymore so they seek out advice or make deals with the devils/demons of Ampryn to get out of their situations for a price of course? Well, its what gave me the idea for this creature. It may not be spot on perfect, but it's a start in the direction I was shooting for.
  • @faiths_guide

Good articles!

@Sorinjace

Interesting for sure. I like the flavor and the ability, but with underdog already being so restrictive, the requirement of extra mana and building around in your deck probably feels bad. Could you tweak it a little?

I'm digging the demon boy. Flavorful and powerful! I think the underhanded side of the Ampryn league probably does exist, but is hidden to the Ampryn citizens.
  • what would you suggest to help fix meek mender @brcien?
  • @brcien
    Muddy Colors is pretty fantastic.
  • @sorinjace you try a shot. It is your card. I think I know how I would is it.
  • Ok I'll give it a shot, I just was wondering what you'd suggest.
  • @brcien it's mono white now and I changed her ability up as well.
  • @sorinjace my guess was to make it an etb rather than a trigger, but I like that solution too.

I picture the arbiters being hidden in public. No one who finds out their secrets is allowed to live because spreading the word would mean the war would end and they would lose their power. Irien is one I imagine. He is a mage who "balances" the playing fields for the Ampryns and Separtists by killing regiments of wizards from whichever side is winning. This card shows the man that no one knows who is. He'd probably have another card in the set.

Mechanically, me and a friend are making completely fan card commander decks and I think a Vryn thing makes sense for me. Blue Black is for the secrecy, Blue White for the balance. In draft, he probably pulls back a kill spell if you need or helps you win more. In standard, he could be toolboxer. Not playable in modern or legacy.

Since I made him with commander in mind, a few things. You could find loops for infinite turn spells, toolbox for merciless evictions or sorcery tutors. My favorite is a bonkers loop with Pull from Eternities, Call to Mind, Conjuror's Closet, and Worst Fears.
This discussion has been closed.