Art of Darkness Competition

Hey everyone. In magic, black is the colour of ambition. It's about power at any cost. Many people mistake it for the 'evil' colour, since it doesn't have any moral compass. Nevertheless, black's philosophy means it is deeply driven and will do whatever it takes to achieve its goals. It's deeply protective of the things it loves.

On the other hand, it's also capable of this kind of magnificent evil:

Archfiend of Ifinir is my official favourite magic card of all time. I love it more than I love the Scarab God (whom I love a lot). I love it more than I love even Diregraf Colossus. The awesome art, the good stats, that fantastic build around ability. It shows that if there's one thing black is as a colour in magic, it's awesome.

Your challenge is to create a monoblack rare or mythic rare card. It has to be powerful but simple. It has to make my opponents cringe in fear. Most importantly, I have to be able to do a maniacal laugh whenever I play it.

1st prize: Five favourites of your choice, a follow and a spot in the hall of fame.
2nd prize: Four favourites of your choice and a spot in the hall of fame.
3rd prize: Three favourites of your choice.

Competition closes 30th September. Five entries max. Serious entries only.

Comments

• Are old entries allowed?
  • @bnew07 if you'd like. The one caveat is that I can't already have favourited it.
  • I was about to post an example when @TenebrisNemo posted the above awesome entry. Example enough, I think. Nevertheless, here's another just to further demonstrate the kind dark majesty I'm talking about:
  • I always laugh maniacally when I play a powerful card, even if I am playing mono white.
  • edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018
    It was difficult making the simplest card I could for this contest. Comments are appreciated.

• edited August 2018
    Deleted.
  • edited August 2018
    Here you go.
  • edited September 2018
    This image screamed New Phyrexia to me:

Thanks to @Estuways for the helpful advice on the 2nd ability editings of this card.
  • I even gave it some lore tease in the flavor text. Proselytize seemed like a cool interesting word for a phyrexian artifact creature.

Proselytize
    Verb
    (intransitive, transitive) To advertise one's religious beliefs; to convert (someone) to one’s own faith or religious movement or encourage them to do so.
    (intransitive, transitive) To advertise a non-religious belief, way of living, cause, point of view, [scientific] hypothesis, social or other position, political party, or other organization; to convince someone to join such a cause or organization or support such a position, to recruit someone.

So, I went with Proselytizer. Just seemed to fit this card.
  • edited August 2018
    I know how much you love your Zombies @Undead (not as much as I though, haha...), so I came up with a card that would work with Archfiend of Ifnir AND your custom black zombie cards (and heck, mine as well. I would love to have a card like this!)

• edited September 2018
    Not happy with how this guy got to where he is, but here it is.

• Wish we can drop more than 5 entries! This is fun!
  • edited September 2018
  • edited September 2018
  • edited September 2018
  • edited September 2018
    Removed.
  • edited August 2018
    -BANISHED-
  • edited September 2018
    Just putting the entries in a comment.

image image
  • edited September 2018
    "It has to make my opponents cringe in fear. Most importantly, I have to be able to do a maniacal laugh whenever I play it." That reminded me of when my Zombie deck drops its Call to the Grave. I contemplated doing the same thing but for spirits and on a creature, but ended up keeping only the sacrifice part of that idea, as you can see.
  • I suppose I might add this as well, as you didn't specify monoblack as including color identity?
  • I thought that activated abilities didn’t attribute to color identity...
  • edited September 2018
    They do. Color identity includes the text box, while card color only looks at the mana cost. That's why Alesha, Who Smiles At Death is a 3-color Mardu commander https://scryfall.com/card/c16/119/alesha-who-smiles-at-death . Adrona would be a 2-color Rakdos commander. They have a multicolored identity but are just red / black respectively. Of course I can't know for sure if monocolored for this contest was meant as card color or color identity...
  • Entry.
    I'm not quite sure about this one. Feel as if I should have tweaked it in some way.

Laughs in 10 mana
  • edited September 2018
    Deleted.
  • edited September 2018
This discussion has been closed.