Impervious Greatwurm
7GGG
Creature - Wurm
Convoke
Indestructible
16/16
Watermark: Selesnya

Link: http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/impervious-greatwurm/

So what do you think? Is Convoke making a return? Will Greatwurm have the Nexus of Fate problem because it can potentially drop on turn 5? Will green get more goodies in Guilds of Ravnica?

Comments

• I think the potential for the Nexus of Fate problem is definitely real between mono green stompy having a presence in standard and that most of the exile based removal is rotating soon. It doesn't have trample, at least, but the potential for the problem is definitely there in the literally biggest creature we've ever seen in magic.
  • Oh yeah, one more thing:
    This is the biggest creature of all time in terms of p/t. Excluding Marit Lage, which is a token, not even Emrakul is as big as this dude. He’s a 16/16 while Emrakul is a puny 15/15. Plus he’s indestructible.
  • @Lujikul Vraska's Contempt and Seal Away can stop it, but that's about it.
  • Buh buh buh busted.
  • edited August 2018
    I dunno. A pile of stats is a pile of stats, and like any pile of stats, if it's unanswered it wins. It doesn't even really have extra utility like the gods. Control decks have an answer to it by turn 5 (white exiles, vraska's contempt, counterspells). Ghalta can come down earlier and at least has trample.
  • edited August 2018
    Yeah my main problem with it is that Rhonas is cycling out, so there aren't many great trample givers, so it just can be chumped or exiled or countered as fiskerton mentioned

Also, Vraska's Contempt, Seal Away, Settle the Wreckage, and Ixalan's Binding to add onto TezzeretofCarmot21's list. If it really became busted, you could even play Blazing Hope, which would be hilarious
  • edited August 2018
    Dead to 10 cents Essence Scatter.
  • Or six cents Cancel if you're really desperate!
  • Oh... Now I'm PISSED OFF. I make something just like this and it gets [BLEEPED] off to high heaven. So much so that I take it down.
  • Has anyone seen the new spoilers? New Ral, the mechanics, Masterpieces... it's awesome.
  • edited September 2018

This card is terrible. Here's a list of reasons why:

-It costs 10 mana. Yes, convoke can allow you to play it quicker, but you're risking a lot to play it, because...

-...it dies to (basically) everything. Look, you were never going to kill a 16/16 with damage regardless of indestructibility. There are multiple easy ways to deal with this. Remember that terrible card blazing hope? Chances are, against the Go-wide creature deck the wurm desires to be good, your lifetotal will be lower than 16. Basically PTE in standard. Sure, Murder and Ravenous Chupacabra won't be a good answer, but those cards are boring and dumb anyway. #Reprint Hero's Downfall.

-It has no evasion. You can chump this thing forever. Slimefoot is basically a 4-mana fog for this every turn.

-Ghalta is just better. Although Ghalta is smaller than this, the evasion, relevant creature type and the ability to not tap your creatures to play it makes Ghalta a superior option for most decks.

I'm not saying there's no chance for this to see play (Thud exists after all), just remember that a big thing with indestructible isn't necessarily good. So no, @strongbelieves, this is probably not going to be Buh buh buh busted...
  • @KrampisZman, let the Timmies dream for a bit, mate. This is their moment!
  • @KrampisZman A well thought out argument.
  • @Temurzoa I mean, this is the ultimate Timmy card. But this isn't nearly broken, or even good. Everyone is acting like because Nexus of Fate was good that this card is going to break standard, when it simply can't in most situations. There's no reason to get upset about how good this is; it's just a big, dumb creature.

@TezzeretofCarmot21 Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.