Contest — Living Art Creatures [RESULTS + INDIVIDUAL FEEDBACK]

2»

Comments

• As promised, here are the results (stick to the end if you're not in the top 3, I still wrote you a small review for each entry after this):

— RESULTS —

THIRD PLACE — Flight of the Butterfly by @LyndonF

You went with the difficult route of not showing Art actually coming to life but rather interpreting what it would mean for Art to be living and finding a mechanical identity for it. I think you did a wonderful job at finding that right mechanical feel, which tells the players your living Art is inspiring and combo-y =D

SECOND PLACE — "Warring Celestial" by @Undead

Everything I said to LyndonF just above also applies to your mechanic, I think it was a bold choice to define Art mechanically like you did and you managed to find a really sweet spot. I put you in second place because I think your mechanic is slightly cleaner, as it borrows from both Bestow and Haunt to let players combo abilities together more easily and with less memory issues ^^ I chose "Warring Celestial" among your five entries because it felt quite realistic power wise and offered a cool twist on the Baneslayer Angel-like staple.

FIRST PLACE — Temperamental Inspiration // Embodied Masterpiece by @Faiths_Guide

imageimage

You had two very unique ways of representing a nonpermanent spell coming to life as a creature. It was very flavourful and unique in both entries ^^ I think the double-faced one is the real winner though because it creates a more interesting creature in as few words as "put this spell onto the battlefield transformed as it resolves". It just looks inevitably evident once you have it under your eyes, it's simple and brilliant x) The Artist condition was a very flavourful cherry on the top that sold the whole package!

___

Congratulations to the winners but also to every other participants! =D (See above for a little feedback for each individual entry ^^)

Now for the prizes: (Note that I already favourited the winning entries)

1st PLACE: @Faiths_Guide — Which 5 cards would you like me to favourite?

2nd PLACE: @Undead — Which 3 cards would you like me to favourite?

3rd PLACE: @LyndonF — Which 1 card would you like me to favourite?

Thanks again to everyone who participated =D

• edited September 2018
    Here's a quick review for each individual entry, for those interested:

Fickle inspiration by Faiths_Guide:
    It very clearly depicts a spell coming to life ^^ I also like the use of non 2/2 face-down creatures that were introduced with the new Intro deck Tezzeret from M19. That said, I'm less fan of the idea of having a face-down creature that you can't turn face-up. But I guess it's more interesting and unique than just creating a creature token so why not ^^ The emphasis on multicoloured seems flavourful for an Art spell, and the spell itself would be interesting with just the first effect :)

Temperamental Inspiration by Faiths_Guide // Embodied Masterpiece by Faiths_Guide:
    On the same idea as fickle inspiration, I'm actually really fond of how simple but efficient the idea of "when it resolves, put it onto the battlefield transformed" is. It has many of the upsides from the face-down idea and is just as unique but gives you a more interesting creature with seemingly less text. Caring about controlling an Artist is very flavourful and a cool idea, though it sounds quite parasitic.

Sculpted Champion by goblinguy:
    A cool take on how creatures like pre-Hour-of-Devastation gods depict materialising =) It's interesting that you didn't go all the way like the Amonkhet Gods but always let the creature block. It gives it an interesting identity, like it was always half alive. A 10/10 white Giant is very spicy! The trigger is a bit messy though, as it causes memory issues and weird interactions in multiplayer games.

Vivid Inspiration by zizick123:
    It doesn't really depict an Art coming to life, it's more an Art tribal card ;) The effect is cool but you would need to reveal the card to let the opponent check if you drew an Art.

Frame of Mischief by bnew07:
    Admittedly, this feels more like an enchantment than artifact but I like that it clearly depicts that it's coming to life :) I would have put the red mana in the mana cost and go straight for a coloured artifact to avoid messing too much with the colour pie though. Art caring for multicoloured spells sound very flavourful, and the devil creature is an interesting take on a top-down design from that illustration.

Imbue with Paradise by bnew07:
    Your use of face-down creatures in an interesting way of showing a sorcery coming to life. This keyword would be a little intensive on gameplay experience though I think, because you have to track the converted mana cost of your spells, which spells are inspirations, what spells are in your graveyard,... Additionally, manifest is a set mechanic from Fate Reforged so that reminder text won't help players know what they have to do with the card. That's a lot of complication just to create a vanilla 2/2, creating a token would probably be cleaner at this point.

Sagacious Poet by Temurzoa:
    I'd love some poetry! =D That said, this card doesn't really feel like poetry is coming to life, it's more of a weird tribal card ;) I'm also a little confused by the abilities part. What other cards could have the exact same ability but not being other copies of itself (which therefore already has same base power and toughness)?

"Poisoner of Paradise", "Song of Weeping", "Hymn to Growth", "Undaunted Courage", "Warring Celestial" by Undead:
    You took the risk of not showing the moment where the Art comes to life, making a straight up Art creature, but instead focused on what would define an Art: it's inspiring. I think that's a really good definition and a very interesting way of depicting it mechanically =D It becomes a mix of Haunt and Bestow, so I think it would be fine complexity wise. I also like that it has a very combo-y feel, that it lets you pile up those on the same creature to create a new art by comboing different effects.

Quick notes on each individual cards:
    1) "Poisoner of Paradise": It's simple but elegant and very selling ^^ I actually think it's quite undercosted, because this 2-mana version of Greed has been done before but not on a 1/1 flying deathtouch creature that can bestow itself on another creature.
    2) "Song of Wheeping": It looks a bit lacking to be a Rare. I understand it can deal a lot of damage to the opponent but at Rare those kind of effects are usually paired with something else like card draw or discard or sacrifice.
    3) "Hymn to Growth": I like the effect though I think there was a simpler execution. I don't think the loop of naming the creature is necessary and the use of Convoke forces the whole set to use it as a mechanic. E.g: "When you cast your next creature spell this turn, for each generic mana in that spell's total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana."
    4) "Undaunted Courage": The creature itself is a bit confusing at first as it just replaces itself with a non-vigilant version of itself but yes it's pretty strong and unique once you inspire another creature ^^ 4/4 may actually be a bit much for White which usually has better rates at lower costs, as opposed to green.
    5) "Warring Celestial": That's a really cool and clean effect that works great with the Living Art ability. It makes me wonder if Living Art shouldn't bestow ALL other abilities though, and have this creature be a regular Baneslayer Angel.

Song of Autumn Leaves by Tomigon:
    The art choice is gorgeous and the ability works great in one of those green/black based lands-matter deck that like to sacrifice their lands as it creates an interesting tension ^^ That said, it doesn't really depict a piece of art coming to life, and doesn't compensate by giving a strong sense of what being an Art creature means, so it feels a bit off criteria ;)

Flight of the Butterfly by LyndonF:
    You made the choice of making a straight-up Art creature and gave it an ability to make sense of what it meant to be an art creature. It's more difficult but you did it very well =) It gives an immediate Johnny feel that pushes you to find interesting combos of abilities, is very unique, and makes you feel like you're an artist shaping the world around you. This "curiosity" variant is a very poetic way of depicting something as fragile as a butterfly!

Angelic Rebirth by LyndonF:
    Stunning art choice :) The Animate ability's reminder text is too long to realistically become a keyword mechanic unfortunately, and it causes some rules issues. For instance, what does it mean to have a creature with such an ability wandering on the battlefield? Different ways to circumvent this problem could be using double-faced cards, putting them face-down onto the battlefield, or exiling them attached to a creature token.

Alabaster Maestro by ASubtleGhost:
    You used the original Compose mechanic from the Rezatta thread so it's a bit difficult to judge how well this card is at depicting Art coming to life x) If I'm talking exclusively about *how* you used the mechanic, I like the synergy between the two different abilities, but I'm not a fan of Compose effects that you have to remember for the next turn without any visual help :/
  • Wow! Thanks. Just favourite three of my cards you like the look of. Glad you like the mechanic.
  • @ningyounk
    Awesome, now we need another parameter to replace controlling an Artist.

Maybe fave the 5 you like most (that you haven't faved already) here?
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Faiths_Guide/sets/16057
  • edited September 2018
    @Faiths_Guide
    Done! (I note that the set is doing well by the way, I'm really digging the bird/flying tribal =D)

All prizes have been distributed! This contest is now closed.

@Corwinnn
    Could you close this thread please? :D
This discussion has been closed.