The Toyota Prius (Common Hybrid) Challenge

Greetings fellow Cardsmiths!

For this challenge, your task is to show me your best common hybrid card .

Entry Criteria
1) No joke cards
2) Must be a common card with hybrid mana in its mana cost.
3) Allowable card types are creature, instant, sorcery, and enchantment
4) Old and new entries allowed.
5) 3 entry maximum.
6) Must be in color pie according to https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05. Note that since this article, flash has been moved to secondary in black.
7) Any abilities used on the card must be either primary or secondary in BOTH colors of a hybrid mana cost.
8) Must be balanced for limited play in a typical standard legal set.
9) Must be a common according to new world order standards. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/new-world-order-2011-12-02

Here are three examples of well-designed common hybrid cards from recent years:

imageimageimage

Here are three examples of my own design.

imageimageimage

Cards will be graded according to the following holistic scale (Out of 100):

Templating: 10
The card should formatted like a real magic card, using the correct phrasing, grammar, and punctuation.

Flavor: 10
The card name, flavor text, color, and mechanical identity should align with each other.

Color Pie: 35
The card MUST be in-color pie for both monocolor halves of the hybrid cost. For example, if I made a card with the mana cost 1{U/R}, it would have to be in-color pie for both mono-red and mono-blue. Additionally, all abilities must be either primary or tertiary in both colors. Some bleeding / stretching is allowed with hybrid mana, but don’t undermine a weakness of a color.

Rarity: 10
The card should be labeled as a common. The card text should be allowable and appropriate for common (according to New World Order, with minor exceptions). The card complexity should match what is typically printed in standard legal sets for common.

Power Level in Limited: 25
The card should have an appropriate power level at common for limited play. It should not be oppressive in draft/sealed (like the Scarab God, Pack Rat, Umezawa’s Jitte). It should also be appropriately costed for Limited. It should feel like a common that could be printed in a standard legal set.

Play Pattern / Gameplay: 10
The card should create a healthy play pattern. It should not create repetitive play patterns. It should be fun to play and create meaningful decisions. It should not create problems for older formats and/or standard.

I will not make the score breakdown for the entries public (only the final score for the winners), but you can private message me after the challenge ends for your overall score and some feedback on your card if you desire.

The top 5 scoring entries will be rewarded as follows:

1st: 5 favorites of your choice
2nd: 4 favorites of your choice
3rd: 3 favorites of your choice
4th: 2 favorites of your choice
5th: 1 favorite of your choice

I will also award 1 favorite each for the following three categories:
1) Most Novel
2) Most Elegant Design
3) Most Flavorful

This contest will close at 4:00PM EST on Saturday, September 22nd.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them to this thread.
Happy Smithing!!!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.