Mechanix Challenge #32

2»

Comments

• @everyone @Latinas

I'll close this challenge tomorrow at this time!

• @Tomigon, then its good that I now have an entry!
    I am using Khansworn by @strombreath
  • Using JAM's mechanic: Secretive.

• edited September 2018
    Secretive by @JAM
  • @Tomigon, why are you closing the contest so soon? It feels like you just put it up!
  • edited September 2018
    Vengeance by @Animist:

• edited September 2018
    Very nice! Thanks for your entries everyone!

@Ranshi922
    You got good feedbacks. In case you want to fix that card, here's a better wording:
    Khansworn - (effect) as long as you control another legendary creature that shares a color and creature type with this creature.

Wording of ability word always changes, so we can't simply copy&paste. If you see the other comments of this thread, you're not the first person who did that! XD

@sorinjace
    Sorry, my contest is always one week long. Judging a big contest is exhausting to me. Probably because I try to give advices. Still I get insane number of entries sometimes. Mechanix challenge #7 got 130 cards in one week!
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/2049/mechanix-challenge-seven
    But when I host circuit challenge, it's two weeks long at least.

A minor issue with your Death Breath. I don't know when do you want to return the spell. When it resolves? or when you are dealt 5 or more damage?
    When the spell is resolved and the effect is happening, I think the card isn't in your graveyard yet. If you see "Beacon of ... " cards, ( http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[beacon]+[of] ) they don't say "from your graveyard".
    I think what you want to do is either of these two:
    Vengeance - If you were dealt 5 or more damage this turn by sources your opponents control, you may pay {1}{b}{r}. If you do, return Death Breath to your hand.
    Vengeance - At the beginning of each end step, if you were dealt 5 or more damage this turn by sources your opponents control, you may pay {1}{b}{r}. If you do, return Death Breath from your graveyard to your hand.
    Also I think it can say "any target."
  • Im gonna change that now
  • Khansworn (renamed Pledged) by @stormbreath:
  • It's time to announce the winners!!!

Honorable mentions

"Vengeful Herder" by @LyndonF
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vengeful-herder?list=user
    His enemy must have done really bad to make Pillarfield Ox that angry!

"Skullbrander, Sailing Master" by @sorinjace
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/skullbrander-sailing-master?list=user
    This seems like a badass villain in that lore! Nice work!

3rd Place!
    "Ancestral Prejudice" by @bnew07

Very unique concept! It can also be a political card if the game has 2 or more opponents. Very fun!

2nd Place!!
    "Ransom Taker" by @Faiths_Guide

I really like the flavor! Adding "Otherwise ..." part is a nice thinking outside the box.

1st Place!!!
    "Riddleborn Sphinx" by @DeepSky

Brilliant concept for "Secretive" mechanic! The mind game you can play with this would be very fun. Texts are long but cleverly worded.

Thanks to everyone who participated!
  • Yay! Congrats to the winners! The mechanix challenges are always great
  • @saveria201
    Thanks! Hosting mechanix challenge is always fun too!

• This discussion is closed.

• Oof. Not even an H.M.
  • edited September 2018
    @Ranshi922 I didn’t get any either! There’s always Mechanix #33~1k :D
  • edited September 2018
    @Ranshi922
    I like Khansworn + uncommon legendary idea, because that means there are many legendary creatures in the set. But I think the card needs a bit more work. Balance is the biggest reason it couldn't win. It's a little weak when you don't have another legendary. My suggestion is;

Clarissa, Spreader of Ichor {r}{b}{w}
    Legendary Creature - Human Warrior, Uncommon
    Double strike
    Khansworn - Clarissa, Spreader of Ichor gets +1/+0 and has menace as long as you control another legendary creature that shares a color and creature type with Clarissa.
    [2/3]

If double strike is the only ability, she doesn't need black and red. I would add menace.
    And again, the wording of ability word always changes. Her ability is static that works on the battlefield. So it should say "as long as" instead of "if". And the card is called "spell" only when you cast it or when it is on the stack. I know it's confusing, but once you get it, that will be easy. Keep up the great work!
  • Thanks @Tomigon! I really enjoyed making that card.
  • Awesome :) Congrats other @Winners and @Mentionables. Thanks for the contest @Tomigon, I wish I'd made more entries.
  • This was fun, idk if I get a fave or not for hm, but @Tomigon feel free to fave what you'd like thanks!
  • Congrats to the winners and other hm as well! XD
  • @sorinjace
    Thanks for making 6 cards for this challenge! I don't use favorite as prizes, but I'll give you feedbacks on some of your cards and help you get more favorites.
This discussion has been closed.