Mechanix Challenge #33

84 years ago, Corwinnn, MrRansom, AustinSmith and Tomigon started a project called TheMechanix.; Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to ; Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - 33
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS SET: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/34762
and make an incredible card that uses it.

In MC-33, the focus is on Triggered Keyword Abilities
This challenge features mechanics from @RohanDragoon, @Credius, @Nanosaurus, @KrampisZman, @Ranshi922, @Mnemosyne, @Superman101, @MagicChess, @unicornsareevil13579, @Tomigon, @LeviathanSoul & @Mila

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, creativity and flavor.

Limit of 15 entries max per person.
Deadline: 10/14/18
*Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY-; and added to -HALL OF FAME- !

#MechanixChallenge

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Refraction by RohanDragoon
    Refraction (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may pay {2}. If you do, copy that spell or ability. You may choose new targets for the copy.)

Root by Credius, modified by TheMechanix
    Root (Whenever you cast a green spell, you may pay {g}. If you do, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.)

Bloodlust by Nanosaurus
    Bloodlust N (Whenever a creature dies, this creature gets +N/+0 until end of turn.)
    --TheMechanix version
    Bloodlust N (Whenever a creature is dealt damage, this creature gets +N/+0 until end of turn.)

Linger by KrampisZman
    Linger N (When this creature dies, create N 1/1 white spirit creature tokens with flying.)
    --TheMechinx version
    Linger (When this creature dies, you may exile it. If you do, create a token that's a copy of it, except it's 1/1, it's a Spirit in addition to its other types, and it has flying.)

Lavatouch by Ranshi922
    Lavatouch (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, destroy that creature. Then add {r}. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.)
    --TheMechanix version
    Lavatouch N (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put N -1/-1 counters on that creature. Then add {r}. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.)
    --Faiths_Guide's version
    Lavatouch (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. Whenever it does, add {r}. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.)

Territorial by Mnemosyne, edited by TheMechanix
    Territorial (Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, this creature fights that creature. When that creature dies this turn, put a basic land card onto the battlefield tapped from your library, then shuffle.)

Drain by Superman101
    Drain N (Whenever a creature dealt damage by this creature this turn dies, put N +1/+1 counters on this creature.)

Oblation by MagicChess
    Oblation (Whenever another creature you control dies, you may sacrifice this creature. If you do, return that creature to the battlefield tapped.)

Headhunter by unicornsareevil13579
    Headhunter (Whenever this creature attacks, target legendary creature defending player controls blocks this creature if able.)

Deranged by Tomigon, concept by @DoctorFro
    Deranged N (At the beginning of your upkeep, flip N coins. This creature gets +1/-1 for each coin that comes up heads until your next turn.)

Blight by LeviathanSoul
    Blight (Whenever a creature blocks this creature, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn and the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.)

Freezing strike by Mila
    Freezing strike (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.)
    --Modified by TheMechanix
    Freezing strike (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.)
    NAME IDEAS: "Frosttouch", "Freezing touch", "Frost strike", "Frost aura"
  • edited October 2018
    Reference the updated Omnath, Locus of Mana wording for how to word mana retention.

Lavatouch N (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put N -1/-1 counters on that creature. Then add {r}. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.)

Also note, as currently worded, this means that the creature is dealing both normal damage and N "wither" damage. Please design accordingly.
  • @Corwinnn, am I allowed to participate?
  • @Ranshi922 - Why would you not be?
  • IDK, that I had "experience" with Lavatouch?
  • You do seem a little "Lavatouched" today!
    Get it?
    Because you said...
    Oh...
    wait...
    If you have to explain the joke...
    Nevermind… Of course you can!

@Faiths_Guide... better?
  • lqtm... It's funny bc I have only had one card with the Original lavatouch XD
  • edited October 2018
    @Corwinnn
    If you're going to take the step to put "instead" (which I prefer), the wording could be cleaner:

Lavatouch (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. Whenever it does, add {r}. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.)

Now it is Wither with perks.
  • I like that! I went through a wither phase just before the phobia project so it seems fitting!
  • edited October 2018

Utilizing Drain by @Superman101.
  • edited October 2018

And Root by @Credius, modified by @TheMechanix
  • edited October 2018
    @Corwinnn
    Here's the revised N version for TheMechanix:
    Lavatouch N (If this would deal damage to a creature, you may add {r} and put N -1/-1 counters on that creature instead. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.)
  • Is that your version @Faiths_Guide?
  • @Corwinnn
    Personally I like the no-N version.
  • Cool. Tomigon gave me the other one that I posted. I'll leave it up to him which version he prefers.
  • @Corwinnn
    I think we can add all versions of lavatouch to the list and let participants decide which one to use!
  • Sounds like a wonderful idea, @Tomigon.
  • @Corwinnn

"In MC-33, the focus is on Static Triggered Keyword Abilities"

@Mnenosyne@Mnemosyne

@unicornsareevil3579@unicornsareevil13579
  • edited October 2018
    Made with Lavatouch. After all, I do need to use my own mechanic more than once! XD
  • @Tomigon - Looks like I need to slow down and focus a bit more! All Fixed!
  • edited October 2018
    I think this is a unique use of Blight by @LeviathanSoul...
This discussion has been closed.