An Infinite Multiverse

So the odds for becoming a planeswalker are very low. We all know that. What bothers me is that the stated odds are somewhere around 1:1,000,000. This means that a single plane, Ravnica for example, could produce nearly 8,000 planeswalkers. (This is based on Earth's current population.) As far as we know, there are an infinite number of planes in the Mtg multiverse, so there should be far more planeswalkers than there are in the game.

What I would like you to do is create a bunch of planeswalkers. But not just any planeswalkers, I want planeswalkers based on real cards from the game. Your planeswalker must be based off of a sentient, nonlegendary creature card. Your entry should share the same mana cost and theme with your chosen card. You must include the original card in your comment somewhere

For instance, say I wanted to turn Falkenrath Aristocrat into a planeswalker. I would have to keep her mana cost as shown on the card (2BR), and her sacrifice theme. Beyond that, I have full creative license.

If you use a mobile device for card making, and can't make planeswalkers, you can submit you entries like this:

Name, Mana cost
[Starting Loyalty]
+-X: First Ability
+-X: Second Ability
+-X: Third Ability?
-X: Ultimate

Aldreda, the Unquenchable 2BR
[3]
+2: Sacrifice target creature, then return it to the battlefield under your control with two +1/+1 counters on it.
0: Aldreda becomes a 4/1 red and black Vampire creature with flying and haste that is indestructible until end of turn.
-9: Return each creature card in your graveyard to the battlefield. Those creatures have flying and haste and are indestructible.

This contest will judged on your creativity, balance, flavor, and templating.

Prizes:
1st place: A follow, 5 favorites, and a custom trophy
2nd place: 4 favorites
3rd place: 2 favorites, plus the privilege to choose an honourable mention.
Honourable Mention: 1 favorite.

For the purpose of determining sentience, I will be excluding wild (or domestic) animals with no easily demonstrable sentience.

Edit: The following creature types aren't allowed in your original card.
All antelope
All apes
Archon
At of
Aurochs
Badger
Basilisk
Bat
Bear
Beast
Bird (Unless your original is an aven.)
Blinkmoth
Boar
Bringer
Camel
Carribou
Cat (Unless your original is a leonin.)
Crab
Crocodile
Dinosaur
Egg
Eldrazi (Unless they were mutated by Emrakul in eldritch moon.)
Elephant (Unless your original is a loxodon.)
Elk
Ferret
Fish
Fox (Unless your original is a kitsune.)
Frog
Goat
Gremlin
Hellion
Hippo
Hippogryff
Horse
Hound (Unless your original is an ainok.)
Hydra
Hyena
Illusion
Insect (Unless your original is a nantuko or kraul.)
Jackal (Unless your original is a khenra.)
Jellyfish
Kavu
Kraken
Leech
Leviathan
Lhurgoyf
Licid
Lizard (Unless your original is squirrel dealer.)
Masticore
Mole
Mongoose
Monkey
Nautilus
Octopus
Ooze
Ox
Oyster
Pangolin
Pegasus
Phoenix
Plant (Except when used in conjunction with another type that is allowed.)
Rabbit
Rat (Unless your original is a nezumi.)
Rhino (Unless your original is a rhox.)
Sable
Salamander
Scorpion
Serpent
Sheep
Slug
Snake (Unless your original is an orochi.)
Spider
Spike
Sponge
Squid
Squirrel (Excluding obviously sentient ones from unsets.)
Starfish
Trilobite
Turtle
Unicorn
Wall
Whale
Wolf
Wolverine
Wombat
Worm
Wurm

Comments

• So we take a card, that had no name, and we make a planeswalker that still captures its essence?
  • edited October 2018
    @Ranshi922 Yes, you obviously would have to make up a name.
  • I also have been vexed by that math... but they don't have time to write lore for everyone, let alone make them canon in the game.
  • Valnas, Simic Archmage {g/u}{g/u}
    [2]
    1: Move a +1/+1 counter from target creature onto another target creature with the same controller.
    0: Create a 0/1 green Ooze creature token with evolve.
    -5: For each +1/+1 counter on target creature you control, draw a card.

Original: Simic Guildmage
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=97078
  • edited October 2018
    Is my math wrong?
  • The walker also has to go through an experience that makes them feel heavy emotions, including but not limited to fear, horror, and pain.
  • No. It looks right (I actually don't know much about population censuses and stuff) but I was just getting art. Prepare for a cycle of 5!
  • @Lujikul True enough. That isn't really all that limiting of a factor though, as pretty much everyone goes through a traumatic experience of some sort during their lives.
  • edited October 2018
    image-------->image
  • @Ranshi922 Doesn't it seem like Alina should put more emphasis on white creatures, like the original?
  • Oh! I meant for that to be target white creature.
  • The Magic multiverse doesn't have infinite planes. There are a few dozen of various sizes, with big ones like Dominaria but most being fairly small. Theros and Ixalan are a few islands each, Ravnica is one (big) city, etc. Most planes aren't even entire planets, just being spaces of safety between the blind eternities.

As for population numbers, most planes probably have well under one million inhabitants and some of the larger ones might have a few million, making the WotC Planeswalker rarity estimate not too far off. There are about 72 named planes (meaning someone at least said their name once in some material), about 22 of which have been 'visited' in the Magic story or had sets take place on them. That includes planes like Bablovia from Unstable and Fiora from Conspiracy and also Artifice planes, demiplanes and plane shards (like the mediation realm, Serra's realm and Jund, respectively).

Plenty of planes have also been destroyed, don't have life on them or don't have intelligent life capable of manifesting a Planeswalker spark.

Anyway, I suggest finding some of your favorite non-walkers from lore and playing the 'what would they do with a spark?' game.

I suggest these two articles, though one is pretty old now:
    https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Category:Planes
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/known-mutliverse-2008-03-19
  • I still think that this is a fun idea, @strongbeleieves. Chill out and maybe that could be a different thing now.

Any guesses on what card this is based off of?
    Correct! It is Guttersnipe!
  • Oh, wait. I messed up the mana cost. It should be two generic mana and one red. Darn it.
  • @01101, you should've let people guess. I would've been able to get it right without suspicion.
  • @Ranshi922, everyone would've. It's not that hard.
  • image-------->image
  • edited October 2018
    Does no one else want to compete? If there aren't at least three different entries from three different people, I won't judge this.
  • I'll participate in a bit.
  • edited October 2018
    [Deleted]
  • @Jonteman93 I'm excluding all non-humanoid animals from this contest. This includes phoenixes. Please make a different entry.
  • @IanLowenthal oh sorry. I misunderstood the definition of wild animal.
  • @Jonteman93 That's understandable, and I realize the term is incredibly vague. However, short of a list, I don't know how to clearly make exclusions in this case.
  • @Ranshi922, are you going to end up entering these planeswalkers in the create-a-cycle challenge?
This discussion has been closed.