ALL HALLOWS EVE

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Aww, thanks @Sorinjace. I just wanted to be sure so I could try to continue my theme. Also I think I'm all halloween-ed out. My idea banks are running dry. ;-;
  • What? How can you be out of ideas for halloween? @Shadow29870? there's so many things you can do with halloween
  • I have ideas @sorinjace, just not mental way's to make them MTG-ish.
  • I feel that, @Shadow29870! XD
  • I'm planning to enter this eventually.
  • Mhm @Ranshi922. I just hope what I've put in is good enough.
  • Awe snap. @Arceus8523 is throwing his hat in the ring? That means step yo games up, foos. :) (Don't mind me, i'm having I guess you would call it a 'ghetto' moment.)
  • edited October 2018
    It may not be pure spook, but I'd say becoming what you hate is scary. So would delving into crypts without knowing what's in there. Though as I'm now topped... I'm going to put my stoy here once more and delete the other one, just to have the updated form be recent. I'm gonna say these are my final edits to it.

Here's my organization! (And a small, undetailed story)

The Base Story

To preface, I personally enjoy Innistrad the most, and I love to imagine that there is a plane that’s essentially ours, but you know, MTG exist in real life. Anywho! Onto the story!

During one of the many, many, many attacks on Geralf’s castle, Gissa discovered a book in the lower reaches of his castle left by a planeswalker from years past, old and dusty, covered in cobwebs. Opening the book she discovers it’s from a traveler from Plane Zero (the plane we live on) and keeps it for herself, after her attack opting to go off and read it by herself. Hours pass before she eventually finds out about holidays, including one known as ‘Hallows Eve’, one she immediately fell in love with. Using magic of her own and magic from the book, as well as some she discovers herself in later explorations, she creates some small areas on Innistrad based around such day that awaken on Halloween all for her amusement.

The Pumpkin Patch

Though a Necromancer, with help from the book and various druids she threatened, Gissa managed to teach herself just enough magic revolving around nature to do a few task she set for herself. With this in hand and some pumpkin seeds, she created a patch in the Ulvenwald sectioned off known as ‘The Pumpkin Patch’, where the Ulvenwald and the elements use scarecrows, pumpkins, crows and such to defend the patch from any and all intruders. This isn’t limited though, as the beings of the patch will damage it for the sake of its survival.

"All things live and all things die. No matter how many times something may die, I'm certain of this; It's going to get eaten by a plant eventually." - Gissa, Bringer of the Eve

imageimageimage

Land of the Recycled

By far one of her favorite zones, the ‘Land of the Recycled’ is simply an area in the Ulvenwald of massive heaps of necromantic energy, where any and all dead who enter it or die there constantly rise, fight, die, and repeat. There is no rime and reason here, and for Necromancers, it’s a virtual playground for experimenting. Her brother Geralf (despite hating her) and other stitchers will use such a place to create subjects they wish to test without risk of being unable to replicate them, setting them free here before deeming them fit for public use, adding much variety to the Land of the Recycled.

imageimage
    imageimage

Season of the Lost

Much easier to make as it was half necromantic based, half based on her previously gained nature magic, the ‘Season of the Lost’ is an area along the shore of Nephalia cast in permanent chilling cold, darkness, and a sense of dread. Here spirits lash out at all who enter, or rest, knowing they will be left alone. Some even live here, deciding this is where they belong, a place of simultaneously constant dread, yet perpetual peace.

imageimage

The Humans

Seeing all Gissa had done, most of the people of Innistrad, the saner ones, immediately despised such and tried to put an end to it. Seeing this, Gissa magically copied that portion of the book, all of Halloween, and spread it the best she could. Now, on Hallows Eve, even the denizens of Innistrad loathe or celebrate the holiday, in their own, strange ways.

imageimage

• @Shadow29870 nice lore you really thought your cards out on this one it seems man
  • edited October 2018
    Thanks @Sorinjace! I try to usually, but recently I've fallen from it. I'm getting back into all my cards being a piece of some form of lore.
  • edited October 2018
    My second entry.

For all my entries, I'm going to try to use Malevolent Soulbond, so if anyone has some ideas for how to refine it and make the concept better, I'm interested.
  • I have a take on a classic: Jack.
    I hope you like this devilishly dapper duke!
  • edited October 2018

Whoops! Looks like I had some bad timing, lol.

I made this artwork out of at least 10 assets, just because the mechanic *needed* to be made.
  • @ErinsCards, I had a feeling you might be submitting that here!
  • Equipment are useful and people don't use them enough I think, so this is cool.
  • edited October 2018
    Here is my first entry, part of a cycle of wedge-colored enchantments:

(For reference, here are the other four in the cycle:)

imageimageimageimage

Some more entries:

imageimage
    imageimageimage

Happy Halloween!
  • edited October 2018
    @Shadow29870 By the way, it's spelled Gisa.

A bit of background for my cards:

On the plane of Geryn, from the start of harvest at the autumnal equinox until a few weeks before the winter solstice, dark spirits and malignant entities walk the earth. In the very middle of this season comes Unhallowed Eve, when evil is at its strongest. In their cities, humans are comfortable and safe and have made it a holiday, when children dress up as monsters and collect candy from their neighbors. The city dwellers are confident that their priests and clerics will keep them safe from the night. However, in the rural areas, farmers bolt their doors during autumn. For them, Unhallowed Eve is very real - and very dangerous.

Some of my cards will focus on the traditions of the urban and suburban humans who treat Unhallowed Eve as a holiday. Others will focus on the precautions taken by the poor farmers, fishers, and other country folk against the night. Finally, the remaining cards are about the evil creatures themselves that awaken for that dozen weeks out of the year.

Geryn is somewhat similar to Innistrad, but death isn't as prevalent. The spirits of nature and light are often willing to aid the humans, but beware: what may seem like a friendly fae could actually be a sinister wraith. On Unhallowed Eve, Geryn does not belong to its people.
  • @ShaperKyon thank you for your entries, I'll give you a follow to see what more you come up with to add to your collection. It sounds very interesting!
  • @ShaperKyon it appears I'm already following you, so I faved a couple of your cards for your extra time you took with your entries. Guys please give ShaperKyon's cards a look, there good and Shaper definitely is worth the follow!
  • @sorinjace Wow thanks! I'm glad you like my designs. I'm really a pretty new cardsmith, not an OG like you. I appreciate all feedback on my cards.
  • Just calling it as it is, @ShaperKyon. Welcome to mtgcardsmith!!
  • edited October 2018
    Here is my first entry. more will come if i can find the time in the next few days. thoughts and feedback appreciated

Mechanically, the idea of this card is a zombie based reanimation card that will let you snatch powerful creatures from your opponents if you play it at the right time. The cost reduction rewards you for playing zombies, potentially letting you reanimate 2 powerful creatures for a measly 2 black mana. What's even better is the fact that you can reuse it for {b}{b} and sacrificing 3 creatures (thus giving you more fodder to reanimate when u cast it again). Not to mention the value to be gained in ETB triggers.

More thematically, this is supposed to be representative of samhain, the precursor to halloween. It was essentially a celebration of the harvest and the dead and the divide between our world and that of the dead was to be the thinnest. So thin, that the right preparation would open it allowing one to recall those already dead. But, such a ritual always has a price: a sacrifice. At least, that's my interpretation of it. Also, zombies are a halloween staple so I thought it made a lot of sense to use that instead of say spirits or something. Please let me know what u guys think though.
  • edited October 2018
  • edited October 2018

here @sorinjace i hope this is up to par
  • That’s what that was for
This discussion has been closed.