Planeswalker's Journey

Comments

• edited October 2018
    @Jonteman93 Oh.

I guess I should have seen that coming.
    That pretty much negates Kyoniq's whole motivation to win the Walker Game (getting home to Janial).
    Okay, I shall edit and post the rest of my story. Wall of text coming soon to a thread near you.
  • @ShaperKyon Well your characters don't know if they are sent home.
    Also how and in what condition they are sent home is up for speculation and the imagination, hahaha!
  • edited October 2018
    (Everyone just realized that this is basically a Hunger Games on an interplanar scale like just yet?)
  • @everyone

Who out of all of you would want to stay in Clancarius if you ever get eliminated? I know my character would.
  • @Jonteman93 Kyoniq would probably have found out in the books from the Archive. No matter; it will be pretty simple to change my story.
    @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos Facts.
    @MonkeyPirate2002 Kyoniq would much rather return home. (Also would you mind sticking Rivermouth and the High Fjord somewhere on the map?)
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos, not necessarily. Not all battle royals are the hunger games. The hunger games was actually based on a different book which I believe might be called Battle Royal.
  • We could set it all as "undefined" when a planeswalker is taken by the spark eater.
    The reason I wanted to send you home in the first place is because I don't want to kill your characters in case that feels wrong for you. However if it would be better for you you could assume that they are killed. That or as a placeholder for a "real" consequence.
    The only real technical consequence though is that the taken planeswalkers are out of the "game".
    You could pick any assumption that is best for your story.
  • edited October 2018
    @Jonteman93 Just saying I updated my planeswalker card again on my previous post :)
    @MonkeyPirate2002 Well my character's was just destroyed as he was taken here so my character would rather stay in Clancularicus as well with his new friends the Tehans.
  • edited October 2018
    Update

We are closing in towards the end of our journey.
    So here is what I have planned for the challenges that remain.

Challenge 7: Normal challenge
    Challenge 8: Split challenge with option of new color
    Challenge 9: *Special challenge (You better be prepared for this or you might find yourself... out of options.
    Challenge 10: Welcome to the land of the seven rings. (Option for new color)
    Tower challenge: Unknown

five planeswalkers will make it to challenge 10. The problem though is that there are 12 right now. That means that during one of these challenges 3 will be eliminated.
    Does this sound good to you all or would you rather have an additional challenge showed in so that we avoid a 3-player elimination?
  • edited October 2018
    @Jonteman93 I like your idea.

@ShaperKyon The High Fjord is a land mass that separates the arctic from one of its neighbors (you choose). The Waygate’s exit is located in the High Fjord, which is why Demetrius has spells related to it. Rivermouth I’m not sure about, I’ll tell you later.

Edit: Rivermouth is located in the densest part of the Cestina Rainforest.
  • Idc about the way the challenges and elims play out whatever is lost convient
  • @Jonteman93 As long as everyone posts cards, I'd add a challenge. If someone skips or noticeably lags behind the others, it's probably fair to eliminate three.

Aldor and Afera had ridden the giant whales for many days. The Tower was in sight, only a week or two away...
    But then a blast of magic flew upwards from the ground. The whale crashed into the ground, near a long river. Aldor looked across the river at a human mage holding a large spellbook.

"You're one of us, aren't you," the wizard said. "A trapped planeswalker."

"What makes you think that?" Aldor asked. The wizard pointed to the Tower.

"We're both headed that way," the wizard said. "You on your whale and me with my spells. Only one of us can get out with our Spark alive."

"What makes you think you can defeat me?" Aldor bleated and from beside him came several goats. The wizard began chanting in some arcane language unlike the one wizards used on Galascia. The river began to rise, and waves from it engulfed the goats, leaving nothing behind. A the page lit on fire and dissipated into smoke.

"I don't need my goats to defeat a wizard like you," Aldor said. He raised his holy symbol.

"Wait," Afera stepped in front of Aldor. She began chanting, and from the river rose several spirits. They began grasping at the wizard, trying to pull him into the river. The wizard reached for his spellbook and managed to grab it, but the spirits grabbed ahold of it as well. They ripped out several pages before the wizard managed to open it to the spell that would destroy the spirits.
  • For the challenge, I choose option A new color blue.
    imageimage
  • edited October 2018
    Why is no one adapting Green? :O
    Green can everything! :D
    We can destroy artifacts! Enchantments! Lands! We can fight creatures with bigger creatures! :D (We can also destroy creatures, kind of) We can't destroy planeswalkers but who need to destroy what you can trample into with MASSIVE damage! :D
    We can ramp! We are the best at ramp! Make ramp great again! :D
    We can draw cards! We can protect our creatures with indestructible and hexproof! :D
    We like enchantments and lifegain (not through lifelink though)! :D

we are quite Big though so we're not allowed to fly most of the time...
    Also green is rather bad at brewing coffee even though we grow the beans. :'(

(Just to be clear. This was and is meant as a joke. I'm sorry for any misconceptions I have caused.)
  • @Jonteman93 (Tell that to the newbies and the 9 year-olds.)
  • @Jonteman93 Wow someone's got a lot of pent up rage. I totally get you as I have a friend who will only play Grixis. However, unfortunately I plan to go Esper for this journey. R.I.P. green.
  • @ShaperKyon I don't have any rage. I'm not even upset or annoying by anything.
    I'm just kidding that no one has chosen green yet as a secondary/third color.
    I'm gonna add some smiles so It my message is clear.
    Sorry for making a confusing joke. I'm quite bad at making jokes.
  • @Jonteman93 When I said "someone's got a lot of pent up rage" I was being sarcastic, not literal. This is the biggest fault of online communication in my opinion - there is no tone, inflection, or body language so it is easy to misunderstand somebody. The closest we can get is emoticons.
    That's a lotta smiles though.

@Arceus8523 Here are my cards to fight you:

imageimageimageimage

Since red tends to be more hasty than blue and you posted your cards first, I invite you to write the first part of the story. Preferably until Kyoniq casts his first spell, but it can be as long or short as you want.
  • @Arceus8523, since he is letting it be as long or short as you like, make it long enough to win!
  • edited October 2018
    @Ranshi922 Wow you've found the perfect loophole lol
    I guess Kyoniq is doomed now.

But it's still storytime! Now with summaries!

VI. To the Tower, part 2/2

Summary: Kyoniq travels with elementalist Terli, form mage Fei'wet, and wizard Seira to the port of Ban Zer via jet stream, where he gains passage on a ship to the Tower on Zhenqi.

The maps of Clancularius that Kyoniq had studied showed that the Tower was located on the continent of Zhenqi, thousands of miles east of Frynheina and Selamore, across the Ocean. Kyoniq planned to go alone, but he was approached by Seira, Fei’wet, and the water and air elementalist, who wanted to come with him. Kyoniq was not opposed to companions, so he agreed. The four travelers met to discuss their departure from Jugiha.

“In the south of Frynheina, there is a city called Ban Zer that sends forth the best ships on Clancularius,” suggested Fei’wet. “We could surely hitch a ride to the tower.”
    “Ban Zer is great, but it’s over one thousand miles south of here,” said Seira.
    “Luckily for us, the Ya’whoto Jet Stream runs all that distance,” commented the elementalist.
    “By the way, what was your name again?” asked Kyoniq awkwardly.
    The merfolk wizard looked insulted. “It’s Terli.”
    “Terli, what’s the Ya’whoto Jet Stream and how could it help us?” Kyoniq queried.
    “It’s a current of fast-moving air high in the atmosphere running from the Ya’whoto Sea down the coast to the cold waters south of Frynheina,” responded Terli. “It can blow us to Ban Zer in less than a day.”
    “How can we ride such a current?” asked Seira.
    Terli gave her a withering look. “I’m an air elementalist.”

imageimage

The four bid their goodbyes to their cohorts, and Kyoniq summoned two drakes for Seira and Fei’wet to ride. Kyoniq and Terli were able to fly on their own. Terli fitted the drakes and the people with auras that would enable them to breathe at such a high altitude. Harnesses were provided so that the strong wind would not blow the people off the drakes. The four soon flew out of Jugiha, through the roof of clouds, and saw the pure blue sky and the powerful jet stream blowing above them. “The surface winds seem like breezes compared to the gusts up here!” shouted Kyoniq over the roar. And with that they flew up and away, the jet stream bearing them swiftly south to the city of Ban Zer.

imageimage

Kyoniq, Seira, Fei’wet, and Terli rode the air current for hours. At times when the cloud carpet beneath them broke, they could see the changing landscape far below. Finally, when the sun began to sink, Terli called to dive, and the four dropped out of the jet stream and broke through the clouds. Below them was a majestic city made of orange stone, dominated by a palace, with squat houses clustered into districts and long docks stretching out to sea, swarming with boats and ships of all sizes. This was Ban Zer.

(For my spellbook.)

They landed on the outskirts, where Kyoniq released the drakes from service. He didn’t know whether they vanished behind a hill or into the aether; such was the nature of summoning creatures. Terli arranged a room at an inn in the less seedy side of town, and after a meal and a good night’s sleep, the two merfolk, aven, and human walked down to the docks to find a ship. They inquired with the captains of several vessels travelling to Zhenqi. Only the largest and sturdiest vessels could travel across the Ocean, which were luckily numerous here in Ban Zer. The first few vessels, their bunks full, had no room to accommodate four wizards. However, one ship, a many-sailed, double-decked behemoth, had two spare rooms. Kyoniq, Terli, Seira, and Fei’wet were led down the docks by the captian and first mate. They, like everyone in Ban Zer, had skin dark brown the color of fertile soil, except they smelled of sea salt instead of the earth. As he observed the ship, Kyoniq couldn’t help thinking of the leviathan, and the way it easily cut through the water. This ship had a fair design, but it was only wood after all.

“How often does this ship need repair?” Kyoniq asked the captain.
    “Every few years. She’s got a strong hull, but the Ocean is rough,” he responded.
    “Do you mind if I make a few adjustments? I think I could make her sturdier,” said Kyoniq absentmindedly.
    The captain guffawed. “Go right ahead, my friend,” he said. “Try and do better than the finest shipwrights in all of Frynheina.”
    Not realizing that the captain was joking, Kyoniq summoned the leviathan. A dark shadow appeared in the water, and just outside the harbor its blowhole sent up a stream of water. People screamed and hurried back to land.

Kyoniq reached out towards the creature with tendrils of magic, feeling the structure of its scales, its fins, its teeth. He had never changed the form of an inanimate object before, but the wood of the ship was once a living tree. At Kyoniq’s gesture, the hull of the ship began to morph into scales, and the massive rudder took on the form of a fin. Its sails became a translucent membrane, and its prow shifted into keratin. Even inside the ship, areas of wood became fleshy, and veins ran alongside cables and ropes. It would be a stretch to call the ship alive, but it was certainly more so than before.

imageimage

When Kyoniq was done, he released the leviathan and it sank into the ocean depths once more. He heard the first mate mutter something like “planeswalker,” but she stopped talking when he turned around.
    “The leviathan is perfection. So powerful, yet so wise. All should seek to emulate it,” said Kyoniq, by way of explanation.
    “What have you done to my ship?” sputtered the salty old captain.
    “Well, I’ve grafted scales onto your ship’s hull to make it tougher, replaced your sails with a flexible membrane, and given you a strong bony rudder. The energy from moving water should be enough to keep these parts alive. Does that cover the cost of my trip?”
    The captain had no words.

After the captain had been shown the benefits brought by Kyoniq’s changes, he agreed to let Kyoniq, Seira, and Fei’wet ride to Zhenqi for no charge. Terli stayed behind in Ban Zer, having business to attend to for the Jugiha Temple, as the rest sailed off into the sunset.
  • @ShaperKyon, I really want Arceus to win....
  • edited October 2018
    @Ranshi922 It feels so nice to be supported. (lol)

VII. Reminiscence

Summary: As his ship draws closer to the Tower, Kyoniq wrestles with the moral implications of his actions at Jugiha, his memories of Janial, and his motivation to complete his journey.

Kyoniq sat alone on the upper deck of the ship. They were a week into their three-week journey, thanks to Kyoniq’s augmentations and the helmsmages that manipulated currents and winds. He was thinking of his experiences at the Jugiha Temple. He had killed Haliza, but had she done anything wrong? She was just trying to protect what she thought needed protection. Did that mean she was not at fault for hostility to Jugiha? Kyoniq didn’t know. At least some good came out of her death. Back on his home plane, when his hands weren’t stained with blood, Kyoniq hadn’t had to grapple with these kinds of moral questions.
    Kyoniq thought of all the warriors that had died at the hillside camp. It was kill or be killed, true, but could that battle have been avoided? Could those lives not have been lost?
    Have I made a terrible mistake?

Kyoniq stared at the horizon as the ship cut through the waves like a knife, drawing ever closer to the Tower and his destiny.

Flashback

“There. It’s all done,” said Janial, removing her hands from Kyoniq and stepping back to admire her handiwork. Kyoniq’s wings were now gone, the wing removed by his own form-shaping magic. All that was left were arms. Also, Kyoniq now sported a glowing electro-magical light below his sternum, the power source for a system of magielectronics that stretched through his back and behind his shoulders. All this was an experiment of Kyoniq and Janial with Kyoniq as the test subject.

“Focus hard. Picture the wings on your back. The neurosensors will pick it up,” instructed Janial, the aven artificer. Kyoniq closed his eyes and imagined a pair of wings expanding from his shoulderblades. He felt a thrumming where the light was implanted in his sternum, and with a sizzle, a pair of aethereal, glowing blue wings were projected onto his back.

Janial squealed in delight. “Yes! It worked! It actually worked!” She took a deep breath to calm herself down. “Okay, time to do the test flight. Just pretend you’re flying normally.” She and Kyoniq walked to the balcony. “Whenever you’re ready.” Kyoniq paused…and jumped off the tower balcony.

Though seemingly insubstantial, the phantasmal wings were magically potent. Janial had enthusiastically explained the aetherological concepts to him, but they were over his head. Kyoniq had mutated his own wings into arms and created a cavity below his sternum while Janial painstakingly built the power core that runs on bioenergy, aether collector, aether field generator, and neurosensors. Now they were all implanted in Kyoniq’s body, and the contraption allowed him to summon and dismiss the wings with a thought.

Kyoniq spread his new wings, and they caught the air just like his old ones. It was hard to control his new appendages at first, especially since he was used to flying with what were now his arms, but eventually he got the hang of it. Kyoniq swooped around the tower, then flapped back up to the balcony where Janial waited.

“Are they good? Do you like them?” asked Janial breathlessly. Kyoniq aven-smiled. “They’re great,” he said. “We did a good job.”
    Janial embraced Kyoniq, which made him blush under his feathers. “I’m so happy, Kyoniq,” she said, and smiled at him.

Things couldn’t be better.

imageimage
    (First card is my original planeswalker card. Second is a story card and proxy.)

Present

I don’t have to complete this journey.

The thought came to Kyoniq suddenly, as he was studying some of his notes.

The planeswalkers whose sparks are eaten disappear. That probably means they return to their home plane. That probably means that I would return to Janial.

Kyoniq sat there, wondering whether he should just abandon this journey and his spark and go home.

But how much would he miss out on?

A nigh-infinite expanse of worlds, stretching out to the bounds of the multiverse. So many creatures to find. So much knowledge to gain. So much potential to realize.

If Kyoniq gave up, not only would he lose this, but also something for himself. He had made a huge mistake with Janial. He had to prove to himself that he was capable of more than mistakes. Also, if he ended up losing the Walker Game he would return to her anyway, so he might as well just do it.

No. He had to do it.

The shores of Zhenqi lay a week away. Kyoniq thought he could almost see a pencil-thin silhouette on the horizon, stretching up to the stars.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, that's the end of my story for now! I'm all caught up. That wasn't too bad, was it? Don't answer that. Anyway, I made a card to commemerate this achievement:

• Not for nothing, but I love the premise of his walker and the way it was executed, and that is counting in my natural distaste towards non Cardsmith mtg card sites...
  • edited October 2018
    Yeah the double-faced Split 'walker is pretty flashy.
  • And the backstory blends expertly!
  • edited October 2018
    @ShaperKyon Sorry. I hadn't had any coffee and thus was bad at reading signals hehe...

Update

I'll shoehorn in an extra challenge that will take place after challenge 8 (this might be changed)
    So the setup should be like this:

Challenge 7: Normal challenge [12th of October]
    Challenge 8: Split challenge with option of new color [19th of October]
    Challenge 9: Normal challenge [26th of October]
    Challenge 10: *Special challenge (You better be prepared for this or you might find yourself... out of options. [2nd November - 4th of November]
    Challenge 11: Welcome to the land of the seven rings. (Option for new color) [4th of November - 10th of November]
    Tower challenge: Unknown

As you can see, challenge 10 will be very short and challenge 11 will be 6 days.
    *These dates above might change. Especially those in November since my status in November is rather uncertain.
    2 planeswalkers will be eliminated after challenge 7-9 and 1 planeswalker will be eliminated after challenge 10.

I appreciate feedback of this.
  • @ShaperKyon
    Yeah I'd be willing to start out the story for this leg. However, I'm on vacation and won't have tons of time to write all at once. I'll try to get something out for you ^^
  • I would think that being on vacation would provide more time...
This discussion has been closed.