The Great Cardsmith Designer Search - Stage 1: The Design Challenge

Comments

• Again, just a friendly reminder, if you are making any last minute edits to your cards, please let me know by posting in the thread below.
  • Gah. I... haven't had access to a pc. Even this is only a short visit. Gonna have to drop out, sadly.
  • @ningyounk
    Your feedback is always appreciated.
  • I will check it out soon!
  • I need to get cracking, will make cards ASAP.
  • First of all, I am positively gobsmacked by all of the amazingly creative entries! The ingenuity of MTGCardsmith always blows me away.

That being said, my biggest gripe against most of these entries are by how complex the cards are. I feel like many of the entries should be rares judging by how most WotC uncommons are. So I have focused on making my entries simple (compared to others), flavorful, and fitting in the color pie. I would definitly consider checking out the MTG mechanical color pie to see how all of my cards fit.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

Enjoy!

White and black strive to control the game. Penemue's Sorcery can remove a troublesome threat, or it can power up a creature you control. Nice and clean.

Black and Green want to outlast their opponents, typically by accessing their graveyard as a resource. Guttergrime Revenants is useful in both the early and late game by giving you an aggressive threat plus stabilization in your curb, or by recurring a fallen game-ending creature.

Green and Blue want options and versatility in winning the game. Serul Mystic has many uses. You can flicker a creature you control, saving it from removal or just making it bigger, or remove a creature attacking you from combat. An excellent way of getting tempo.

Blue and Red have issues with mechanical overlap, so Fiendish Genius is simply a mashup of what both colors do best. It is a welcome spell in control decks, giving you more fuel or blasting a creature (or player!) to oblivion. Plus, how about that flavor text?

Finally, Inspiring Insurgency feeds into white and red's swarm tactics by stealing your opponent's best blocker and pumping your team. As a note, giving your team +N/+N is not in red's color pie, but in white's, so this card can't be mono-red.

I hope you like my cards!
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

I noticed you starting to make some cards for this challenge but the ones you made so far Are ally color and they need to be enemy color.
    G/B
    B/W
    W/R
    R/U
    U/G
  • @bnew07 Sorry, I misread the rules. I have some spicy enemy color concepts though!
  • edited October 2018
    >deleted<
  • You should submit them all at once. It's in the rules.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 it’s okay if you submit them one at a time now since we are close to the deadline, I think you are the last Cardsmith left
  • I'm editing my previous comment with new links in it.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

You need to have at least one instant, one sorcery, one enchantment among your submissions. The last card can be any one of those four card types
  • Well, now my computer crashed and I can't access MTGCS. This sucks.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

The deadline is in 30 minutes...do you think you can have your submissions (according to the contest criteria) posted in 3 hours?
  • @bnew07 I’m fine to drop out. I’d like to see how and what other smiths do. Thanks for the opportunity.
  • I've edited some of my entries: Vindictive Sage, Confront Adversity, and Embrace the Storm.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21

Understood, sorry you are having computer issues. if you change your mind in the next 20 min, just let me know and I will extend the deadline to 7pm
  • is it extended?
  • All right everyone thank you for your submissions! Thanks for all your effort!

This contest is now closed for judging! No more edits or submissions will be accepted from this point forward.

I will post the results in the next 3 days.
  • Well, that's great. I was away the entire day, so I didn't get to read @ningyounk 's feedback and do some stuff about what he said.

Can I just post some edits tonight or tomorrow? Please?
  • @Aggroman15, don’t! Only 13 people made submissions! That means we have better odds now!
  • edited October 2018
    @Ranshi922 Why would me making edits matter for the odds? Or was there something else you meant by that?
  • If you are allowed to edit, then those who didn’t get their entries could get their entries in!
  • @Aggroman15 @Ranshi922

I am sorry but the deadline has already passed all entries are final at this point
  • All right everyone the results are in! Refer to the google doc link below for all the written feedback and to the google sheet link for raw scores and some data. Let me know if anyone has trouble with the links.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JU32249IcHvI7xEeD9ijQ-LPRGLVyP_b9SkjRu04wDs/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xLoMrSfomxBTMoTHf0Geq9kA53XvP8jag_0QnhGeiYs/edit?usp=sharing

13 excellent Cardsmiths entered, but only 8 were able to move on. I want to thank everyone for their effort, entries, and participation. There were some truly great designs submitted!

8th Place: @brcien with 78 pts
    6th Place: @fiskerton with 80 pts
    6th Place: @ChuckTesta with 80 pts
    5th Place: @ningyounk with 81 pts
    4th Place: @Lujikul with 84 pts
    3rd Place: @Faiths_Guide with 86 pts
    2nd Place: @TheCenterOfTheUniverse with 89 pts
    1st Place: @Temurzoa with 94 pts

Congrats to everyone moving on!!! I will post the next stage's challenge in the next few days.

I will also favorite one entry from every submission, and the top 3 placing Cardsmiths from this stage can request the follow amount of faves of their choice from me:
    3rd Place: 1 fave
    2nd Place: 2 faves
    1st Place: 3 faves

• All Cardsmiths have now received one fave each
This discussion has been closed.