POKEMON Set

edited October 2018 in Custom Card Sets
I am currently designing a set themed around Pokemon, specifically Generation 1

So far this set will feature all 151 pokemon in the Kanto pokedex and around 119 other cards (A total of around 270 cards)

I assigned each type to a color identity

Some new things for the set:

First off, the rarity is based off of the border. (This is because of the custom set symbol)

Black = Common
White = Uncommon
Silver = Rare
Gold = Mythic Rare

Rares and mythics are full art.

Each pokemon will have it's types and there will be cards based on types.

Also there is a leveling system based on combat damage to players.

*Card SPOILERS from now on! You have been warned!*

Leveling system example: Pidgey line

imageimageimage

You can cast higher evolutions, but you get a benefit if you leveled up the previous pokemon.

For the types, a card might look like this

Comments

• edited October 2018
    If any body has any suggestions for mechanics or anything else, that would be great.

I'm having trouble with the eveelutions.
  • For eeveelutions, I'd say make a theme cycle of creatures with the "eevee" subtype in addition to their other types, and they all buff each other, kinda like slivers. It's not too far off from what actual eevee decks do in the pokemon card game (usually backed by a supporting subtheme, like the team plasma subtheme in the Psy Crusher theme deck).
  • I think u could create 3 different eevees 1 for each evolution
  • I don't quite understand the leveling system? What's the benefit and how does it work mechanically and all that?
  • In the game, the pokemon gains experience when it wins a battle.
    Here the pokemon gets a level counter when it deals combat damage to a player.

The name is the pokemon you play from your hand

pidgotto has "Leveling 2 Pidgeot"

After it deals combat damage to a player twice you may "evolve" it into pidgeot if it's in your hand.
  • edited October 2018
    maybe it should be this: (pidgey as an example)

leveling (whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a leveling counter on it.)

Remove 3 level counters from pidgey, exile it: put a card named Pidgotto from your hand onto the battlefield.
  • But then I can't shorthand it you see.
  • edited October 2018
    Oh and here's how I thought of a solution to the evee predicament
  • edited October 2018
    I think u could solve the Eevee thing easier with a keyword for item evolutions...because Eevee does not share a type with flareon...like at the top just shorthand to

Fire stone, Thunder stone, Water stone (If this creature becomes the target of one of these artifacts then search your library that shares a type with the artifact and put it onto the battlefield, exile this creature)

I know the wording is awful

With your current one you are not searching for a type but normal and Eevee does not have a normal type evolution unless you count the Z-move buffs
  • This is how I covered Evolution in my abandoned custom Pokemon set.
  • edited October 2018
    @DoctorFro

All the eevees are foxes
  • @Arceus8523, that is a pretty good mechanic!
  • I don't like the cheating of the cost.

Maybe if you exile the previous evolution as you cast it and get a benefit.
  • edited October 2018
    Leveling relates to combat, like the game
  • @DoctorFro

It's talking about the CREATURE type not the pokemon type
  • edited October 2018
    Hm! I have a contest that deals with this same stuff! (#ShamelessSelfPromotion)

http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/3908/gotta-catch-em-all#latest

Hence, I have a few Pokemon lying around. Unfortunately, they are not Gen One, but they do show off my take on Mega Evolution:

imageimage
  • I figure that, while I'm here, I may as well help the set.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Here are the starters! If you don't like them or don't understand some of their abilities, feedback is appreciated!
  • edited October 2018
    @Aggroman15

I've made a few of the starters already.
    The second evolutions get abilities to so you can shorthand the leveling as "leveling # (name)"

And I'm using fan art.
  • edited October 2018
    Hey @Aggroman15

If you want to make cards, make non creature spells and artifacts, I need more of those.
  • edited October 2018
    I'm unsure about arbok's ability, I don't know how powerful it will be.

This discussion has been closed.