Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• @Ranshi922 I'm glad you liked it!
  • @DeepSky, just you wait a bit... ;)
  • edited October 2018
    Here is the set for my mechanic. more cards will be added later.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Revan/sets/35341
  • edited October 2018
    Almost certain this mechanic will have been done before, but anyway:
    Associate {Cost} ({Cost}: Pair this creature with another target creature you control. Associate only as a sorcery.)

I'll make an example card soon.
  • edited October 2018
    Here's another one:

Armorph - When [name of creature] dies, create a colorless Equipment artifact token with Equip [mana cost of creature] and has, "Equipped creature gets +[power of creature]/+[toughness of creature] and has [abilities of creature]."

Example: image
  • Some mechanics I used for the set Ritinar:

Incapacitate (Target ___): Tap target ___. It loses all abilities until end of turn.

Bomb X: Create X Bomb artifact tokens under target player's control.

Detonate (Target Bomb): Destroy target Bomb. It deals 2 damage to its controller.

Crowd: Crowd - _____________ equal to the number of creatures you control.

Decay: Whenever this creature becomes blocked, put a -1/-1 counter on each blocking creature.

Infrastructure: This spell costs {2} less to cast as long as you control 2 or more artifacts.
  • edited October 2018
    Parasitism {cost} ({cost}, {t}: This creature loses this ability and becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it to target creature. You may pay {cost} to end this effect.)

Also check out this Licid contest! http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/3961/venom-contest-create-a-licid
  • @KJMartin kinship already is an actual keyword in Magic the Gathering.
  • @sorinjace
    Oh, thanks. Didn't realise that.
    I'll probably change its name to something like associate or consort
    then.
  • @KJMartin I'm going to suggest you use lineage, it sounds cool and I don't believe it is either already used here on mtgcardsmith nor in the actual game of magic the gathering.
  • Harness - If a land left your battlefield this turn, [Effect]

Stitch - [Cost] - Exile this creature onto target creature you control. That creatures gets +X/+Y, where X is this creatures power and Y is this creatures toughness.

Celestial - For each creature you control in exile, [Effect]

Holy Hand - Whenever you exile a creature you control, [Effect]

I don't have any cards for these yet, but here's some fun one's I made. Mostly Innistrad based.
  • edited November 2018
    Graveborn (When you draw this card, you may discard it. If you do, it has “You may cast this spell from your graveyard.”)
  • edited November 2018
    Easier than writing a whole bunch just to get your creature back into your hand.
    Fade - [cost] - (Return this creature to your hand. Use this any time you could cast an Instant)
  • edited November 2018
    One generic keyword ability that has probably been done before:
    Relentless X (Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/-X until end of turn.)
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/molten-fiend?list=user

One probably original ability:
    Linger [Cost] (You may reveal this card from your hand by paying its Linger cost. Cast this card only if you revealed a card by the same name from your hand during your last turn.)
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/obliteration-6

Would appreciate thoughts on these abilities if anyone has any. :)
  • Can't think of a name, but here's a mechanic. If any one can think of any names that would be great.

(You may discard any number of lands when you cast this spell. Each land discarded this way pays for 2 or two mana of that creature's color)

Would it be color or colors?
  • @01101
    So If you want to cast a {r}{r} creature with that mechanic, you can discard an Island and it pays for {r}{r}?
  • @Tomigon, Yeah. I didn't think about it that way, but yeah it would work.
  • Vengeance (when ever a creature that shares a creature type with this creature dies, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn)
  • @Shadow29870 I made a Spirit creature with Holy Hand check it out on my profile if you want to see how I used holy hand. I think it works!
  • Shift X:
    Look at the top X cards of your library. Exile any number of them, then put them back in any order.
  • @FizzyGig, is shift x on creatures or on noncreature spells or both?
  • edited November 2018
    Based off feedback on one of the cards with Honorbound, I decided make a revised version of it. I shortened it to simply Honor as puting Honor bound twice on a card eats up more text than I'd like.

image image image

(Update as a vertical cycle, as you'd want to play them all together.)
    Honor-bound by captain_Pugsley -Modified/renamed by Lastjustice

Honor (Opponents can't gain control of this creature and costs {1} less for each other creature with Honor.)
  • First Knight, Last Justice. There is something very poetic about that.
  • I suppose there is, as I wasn't considering that when I made it.
  • @Lastjustice was just naming the 'mechanic' Honor deliberate on the card? Because your description says Honor-bound (when you read it on Disqus)
  • edited November 2018
    @sorinjace I edited it after the fact on couple other cards, I updated disqus on the card I posted. I happen miss one as I made a few cards with it for the mechanix, then came up with the altered version.

Edit:minor update

Breach (You may have This creature assign its
    combat damage as though it weren't blocked.)

What was classicly referred to as Super trample for slang. I felt it needed a better title.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/seismic-titan?list=set&set=30974

Repel *Color* (This creature can't be blocked by *Color/Type) (I renamed this from Breach)

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ulvenwald-berserker?list=set&set=31890

• @sorinjace Both creatures and noncreatures can have shift. On a side note, yes I know shift is similar to surveil, but I made the mechanic slightly before I knew about it.
  • edited November 2018
    image image

After playing with Honor, a cost reducing mechanic https://mtgcardsmith.com/vi... I thought what about doing an Antithesis for it. Creatures that prefer to be alone, and fight with others. Hence Discord. So I came up with Discord.The idea is you'd get powerful undercost creatures, but the creatures on the board the more they'd cost, meaning you'd need get them down quick or play down that board wipes often to exploit their cheaper cost. The more extreme the creature, the higher Discord you can attach to it, since it can be 2 and be 2 more for each creature. You can always make this a seas saw function, and may be give the creature some sort of bonus for opponents creatures being in play or getting a bonus for them dying. Or you can make them at war with the mechanic, as Voracious Nightstalker wants more creatures to eat, but she will cost more if you load up on critters. I think there's alot of ways to play with this concept that could work.

By Lastjustice
    Discord N (This spell costs {n} more to cast for each creature on the battlefield.)

I thought why should creatures have all the fun.