Mechanix Challenge #35 **Circuit Challenge**

84 years ago, Corwinnn, MrRansom, AustinSmith and Tomigon started a project called TheMechanix.; Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to ; Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - 35
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS SET: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/35773
and make an incredible card that uses it.

In MC-35, the focus is on Keyword Abilities - Static
This challenge features mechanics from @Dechujoh64, @Jonteman93, @jpastor, @TemurGideon, @TigerFang8, @Tbeast430, @edgebright, @RohanDragoon, @Superman101, @KrampisZman, @NokiSkaur, @Lastjustice & @TezzeretofCarmot21

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, creativity and flavor.

Limit of 15 entries max per person.
Deadline: 12/16/18
*Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY-; and added to -HALL OF FAME- !

In Addition...
First Place = 1 Circuit Point
Second Place = 3/4 Circuit Point
Third Place = 1/2 Circuit Point
Honorable Mentions = 1/4 Circuit Point

#MechanixChallenge

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Armageddon by Dechujoh64, modified by TheMechanix
    Armageddon N (When this creature dies, target opponent sacrifices N permanents. Tokens can't be sacrificed this way unless that player controls less than N nontoken permanents.)
    ..or..
    Armageddon N (When this creature dies, target opponent sacrifices N permanents.)

Phalanx by Jonteman93
    Phalanx (Whenever this creature blocks, it gets +1/+1 for each other blocking creature you control with phalanx until end of turn.)

Fear of ____ by jpastor
    Fear of 'subtype' (Whenever a 'subtype' enters the battlefield, return this creature to its owner's hand.)
    Examples: Fear of Insects, Fear of Forests,,

Hazard by TemurGideon
    Hazard (When this creature enters the battlefield, roll up to X six-sided die, where X is the number of colored mana symbols in this card's mana cost. For each die that lands on a 4 or higher, put a fortune counter on it.)
    -TheCenterOfTheUniverse, sorinjace, Dechujoh64's idea:
    Hazard N (When this creature enters the battlefield, roll up to N six-sided die. For each die that lands on a 4 or higher, put a fortune counter on it.)
    --Tomigon's idea:
    Hazard N (When this creature enters the battlefield, flip N coins. For each coins that comes up heads, put a fortune counter on it.)

Disable by TigerFang8, modified by TheMechanix
    Disable N (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put N time counters on that creature. For as long as it has time counters on it, it can't attack or block and has "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from this creature.")

Firestorm by Tbeast430
    -OG Version:
    Firestorm N (Whenever one or more creatures you control become blocked, if this creature is attacking, this creature deals N damage to target blocking creature.)
    -TheMechanix version:
    Firestorm (Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 1 damage to each creature defending player controls for each red spell you cast this turn.)

Adrenaline by edgebright, modified by TheMechanix
    Adrenaline (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, put a charge counter on it. At the beginning of your end step, if this creature is untapped, remove a charge counter from it.)

Prismatic by RohanDragoon, modified by TheMechanix
    -OG version:
    Prismatic (Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
    -TheMechanix version:
    Prismatic (Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Backlash by Superman101
    Backlash (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to that source's controller.)

Rehearse by KrampisZman
    Rehearse (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a verse counter on this permanent.)

Manaburst by NokiSkaur
    Manaburst (When you cast this spell, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, add three mana of any color.)

Supremacy by Lastjustice
    Supremacy N (Whenever a creature dealt damage by this creature this turn dies, put N +1/+1 counters on this creature.)
    ..or..
    Bloodbath by TezzeretofCarmot21
    Bloodbath (Whenever a creature dealt combat damage by this creature this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

***ADDITIONAL MECHANICS***

Exiletouch by thecreed2000
    Exiletouch (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, exile that creature.)
    ..or..
    Voidtouch by Corwinnn
    Voidtouch (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, exile that creature until this creature leaves the battlefield.)

Dying Wish by Woloa
    Dying wish [cost] (Whenever a creature you control dies, you may cast this card for its dying wish cost.)

Insanity by thecreed2000
    Insanity N (At the beginning of your upkeep, flip N coins. For each flip you win, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. For each flip you lose, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature.)
  • edited December 2018
  • edited December 2018
    Entry # 1

Fear of ____ by jpastor / renamed by Lastjustice
    Despair of 'subtype' (Whenever a 'subtype' enters the battlefield, return this creature to its owner's hand.)
    Examples: Despair of Insects, Despair of Forests

Fear is an old school existing mechanic name, so this should have it's own.

Entry # 2

Disable by TigerFang8, modified/renamed by Lastjustice

Arrest N (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put N arrest counters on that creature and remove it from combat. For as long as it has arrest counters on it, it can't attack or block and has "At the beginning of your upkeep,remove an arrest counter from this creature.")

Time counters were already as a type used for suspend and it's interactions.

Entry # 3

Backlash by Superman101

Phalanx by Jonteman93

Entry # 4

Supremacy by Lastjustice

Entry # 5

Insanity by thecreed2000 /Modified by Lastjustice
    Insanity N (At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. If you win the flip, put N +1/+1 counters on this creature.If you lose the flip, deal damage equal to it's power to it's controller and itself.)

Voidtouch by Corwinnn
    Voidtouch (Whenever this creature deals damage to another creature, exile that creature until this creature leaves the battlefield.)
  • edited December 2018
    @Lastjustice: I totally agree with you that it can't be Fear. However I feel like Despair conveys loathing and anguish rather than fear. Perhaps we should call it Dread of (quality) or Aversion to (quality)? Dread seems the best here.

Edit: how about Phobia of (quality)? Conveys exactly what needs to be conveyed.

@jpastor @Corwinnn: what think you?
  • *Laughs maniacally, quietly* I approve of the new name! >XD
  • I'd gone with Dread @KalamMekhar if @TenebrisNemo hadn't already named mechanic dreadful. https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/infamous-rider?list=user It's a good mechanic so I wasn't going share names with it. I used phobia in reference to something else. https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/squeakz-the-hydrophobic?list=set&set=31890 I was running out of fear related terms so I went with despair heh. I strongly considered terror, but I had association with the old school creature kill named that.
  • I would say phobia or aversion are okay. Hydrophobia is such a specific reverse hate ability it's probably better without a keyword, especially since it isnt easily "cycle-able" to the other colors due to requiring a different keyword.
  • You are always welcome to re-name something, especially in light of the way certain terms evoke other ideas... such as Fear having once been used as a keyword (though it was removed so in my mind, can be repurposed). As long as the gist of the mechanic is still there, we're all about customizing and improving.
  • Also... please note that THREE more Mechanix will be added to the list today!
  • Rehearse by KrampisZman

• edited December 2018

Did a complete U-turn and went with Fear of quality, since it sounds so much better. I'll just pretend the old fear doesn't exist. This card is basically a whole bunch of references, MtG and otherwise, thrown together. When I saw Fear of, the first thing I thought of was Progenitus, and Fear of Everything obviously led me to Norin the Wary. I was initially going to make it a female Norin counterpart called Nora the Cautious, but once I saw the pun opportunity there was no looking back. Flavour text was another golden chance I couldn't miss. The power/toughness might seem too high on an explore creature, but it's actually fairly arbitrary considering it won't usually stick around until combat, with even a land played by the opponent sending it back to hand. The value is in the repeatable explore. It's also balanced by being in a colour combination that can't really abuse the repeatable explore. It escapes the likes of The Eldest Reborn, any planeswalker with a removal ability, Dead Weight, Seal Away, Oblivion Ring, Arrest/Pacifism, and Ravenous Chupacabra, the latter prompting me to put it in RIX and not XLN. Mythic because 'X of Everything' is a very splashy and cool looking keyword that deserves to be mythic (also the rare symbol colour doesn't look good on gold cards XD).
  • Backlash by Superman101:

• Backlash by Superman101 as well:

• edited December 2018
    Here's one for Armageddon by Dechujoh64 (TheMechanix version)

And a cycle of allied dual lands using Hazard by TemurGideaon (TheCenterOfTheUniverse, sorinjace, Dechujoh64 version)

(I know it is supposed to be for creatures, but I decided to do something different with it.)

imageimageimageimageimage

Edit: I just realized that I forgot to put the "enters tapped" clause, so just pretend they all have that because I don't really want to remake them all.
  • New Mechanix Added!!
  • @KalamMekhar In the movie The Mummy, the mummy has a fear of cats and runs away from them. So Fear of Cats is what I went with when i made that ability, cuz he has a fear if cats. Also Im a pretty bad card maker so never ask my opinion lol
  • @KalamMekhar already beat me to the punch on this one, but I made the card anyway.

Entry 2, using phalanx by @Jonteman93. Phantom Lancer was the first thing I thought of when I saw the phalanx mechanic.
  • edited December 2018
    Using Rehearse

Fair Rhymester
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/fair-rhymester
  • edited December 2018
    Using Hazard by TemurGideon (the updated version of TheCenterOfTheUniverse, sorinjace and Dechujoh64)

• edited December 2018
    @koover is here!?
  • Hey hey hey, I made a thing using jpastor's Fear of [blank]! This time it's not even a joke!

• edited December 2018

"We are the warriors of the new world order!
    We are the soldiers, the bringer of war!
    We are the storm and the roaring thunders!
    Fire and flame, we are one!"
  • edited December 2018
    Deleted.
  • @Faiths_Guide @Corwinnn
    Every once in a while, when earth, sun and moon perfectly align, I find the time to create a card or check out some challenges >.<
  • Insanity by thecreed2000:

Adrenaline by edgebright.
  • Hm. I've never thought to do this before so ima ask first, may we rename a mechanic if we note it in our entry? I'd specifically like to do such for Armageddon, rename it... Hm... Downfall, maybe.
This discussion has been closed.