Historical Hassle *Class Challenge*

Comments

• I had to make cards for To Kill A Mockingbird. My favorite: Bob Ewell, Hot Gas.(yes i know bob was a terrible person)
  • @IanLowenthal, your European entry is not a person. It does not qualify.
  • Why no natzis? I mean, without them, ww2 wouldn't have happened, which means everything after that and any political and wartime leaders wouldn't come to power.
  • edited December 2018
  • I didn't say that.
  • This is my contest.
  • Wait what did i do in my what @Bowler218?
  • And I quote:
    "b) Adolf Hitler should NOT be allowed (or anything with nazis for that matter) due to sensitivity surrounding that subject. Do you agree?"
  • edited December 2018
  • edited December 2018
    Can I make a nuclear Gandhi card?
  • edited December 2018
    lmao how bout no
  • edited December 2018
    Yeah you guys who are old enough to drive should know the ford jokes by now, but honestly, Ford was a company that really did things their own way and they found their own niche and their own way to succeed without government bailouts. Despite all the bad jokes, Ford is a respectable and powerful company in the USA, whether building cars domestically or not. I didn't think anyone would do one for Henry Ford, and then this idea came to mind of what he would do to relate to the game of magic: he'd work with vehicles. I mean, duh. :)

• Put that in one drop!
  • @Bowler218 i did already before i had to fix it.
  • edited December 2018

Asia: A card for Sir Mokshagundam Vishweshwarayya (full name did not fit in the card!). Considered the Father of Engineers in India. Among other things, he shifted entire states to hydroelectric power, and was instrumental in city planning, including having fully planned and designed the area I now live in. Pretty pleased to have some connection to him.

Europe: A card for Alfred Russel Wallace. I had already seen a Darwin card on this thread, and it's only fair that Wallace gets his share of the credit in coming up with the theory of natural selection.

Also, @Ranshi922, a suggestion. I agree with @sorinjace that submissions need to feature an agreeable historical figure. This is an online forum, so you don't have information about where everyone is from. It is important, then, to be sensitive to all nationalities and communities when making submissions. I agree wholeheartedly with @sorinjace that Nazis can't feature in this, and was extremely disappointed to see users demanding otherwise. Having a card made for you is something I view as an honour, that your actions and words are taken seriously enough to be depicted as mechanics, and a literal Nazi does not deserve such an honour. It's one thing when you're a fantasy villain. It's another thing when you're an IRL 'villain'. Moreover, what constitutes a 'villain' varies from region to region. If I saw a card depicting, say, Winston Churchill, it would completely ruin my day since he's nothing short of a monster to me and other people in my region, though many view him differently. There's also other issues: insincere representation (looking at all the 'nuclear Gandhi' people), incorrect representation (James Cook is NOT from Australia/Oceania, he just visited), negative representation (Osama as the Asia representative), and other nasties. These are bound to happen in a contest of this nature on a forum of this nature, so I implore you to include some clear guidelines in the rules and to take strong action against any insensitivity.
  • edited December 2018
    @KalamMekhar your perspective on this contest is inspiring, thank you for your input and agreeing with me, I just hope I represented Gandhi well enough for you, and i hope they take the thoughts you expressed seriously.

On my version of Gandhi, it has exalted. Exalted means placed at a high or powerful level; held in high regard. I felt this fit Gandhi. He was regarded as one of the greatest leaders ever in history, and while its easy to think of him being about peace, if it camedown to violence being the only option to obtain peace or to protect yourself or others, Gandhi wasnt shy of these defensive tactics.

I did a lot of research on both Gandhi and Henry Ford before I made their cards. I will continueto do so for the next card(s) i create for this contest. Remember, the challenge was to make it as historically accurate as possible to the historjcal figure the card depicts while being as magic of a card as possible. I think @Tomigon's representation of Gandhi is really awesome, but I still like how mine turned out i feel both represent him. Regardless if mine wins or not, it took a great amount of research to come up with the card i did for Gandhi. KalamMekhar i cant wait to see your next cards for this contest and im favoriting your cards you enter here to show you that support. XD
  • edited December 2018
    Well, I never said that he was FROM Australia, just that his influence played a significant role in Australia’s history.

But fine. I am not trying to be controlling or anything: I just want people to have more options. King Shaka was very unagreeable, but I covered him. History is full of atrocities, but if we fail to acknowledge them and be willing to own up to the human race’s mistakes, we are doomed to repeat it.
  • This shouldnt represent the worst of humanity but the best @Ranshi922. This could be a touchy subject, depending on the historical figures covered. But most people are respectable about this.
  • @sorinjace: no I had no issues with your Gandhi whatsoever, it was well made :)
  • @Ranshi922: I agree with you in principle, I just meant there should be clear lines. I'm talking about Shaka Zulu vs Idi Amin. One, as you mentioned, had his controversial moments, but is an otherwise respected figure, respected enough to have an airport named after him. The other expelled all Indians from Uganda and was a generally murderous person and should not have a card made for him. I'm talking about these kind of lines. No one is failing to acknowledge anything; regardless of whether someone makes a card or not, I will know who Idi Amin is and how his military career began and all the atrocities he committed. I'm not turning a blind eye to it, I'm already aware. It's just that I consider having a card made for you an honour, and some people do not deserve that honour, as it would be like glorifying them. Also note that internet forums are often filled with racists and other bigots who will misuse such a contest if you don't draw clear lines.
  • Touché. Proceed!
  • edited December 2018
    @KalamMekhar thank you so much! that means a lot! Also i faved your entries.
  • edited December 2018

I just remembered I made this hehe. I am sharing even if doesn't count as I generally avoid making cards after real life people.
  • Here ya go @Ranshi922. I saw this discussion while watching a documentary on secret mysteries and was inspired.

King Tutankhamun
  • @jpastor, this is a wonderful surprise; having you join the fray!
    My first entry.
    My second entry, maybe the only non human creature in the entire contest.
This discussion has been closed.