Q&A for Lucas Nighttail (aka: why is a non magic card on the featured section)

This is to reply to all the comments on the current featured card (Lucas Nighttail). Sometimes a question is posed in a normal comment, so i will more or less be specifying some things. The card is my character from the mmorpg Wizard101, and is mainly an ice mage with a splash of life for healing.
Q1: from Tomigon: What is "2d10"?
A: two ten sided dice used together to get a random number from 0 to 100.
Q2: from Tomigon: If I understood it correctly, the maximum result of "3d6+3" is 6x6x6+3=219. You don't need that much damage to kill something. And this needs 4 counters to activate {t} abilities.
A: The max is not 6x6x6+3, it is just adding to a max of 21
The abilities represent actual in game abilities, which requires 4 pips or counters or whatever to use.
Q3: from TezzeretofCarmot: So does this mean I can make my Fallout 76 character and get featured?
A: Maybe? Here's what I did: make it for a different challenge, get a mystery box and get lucky, and tell corwinnn to make it featured

Comments

• Maybe you should have put it in the comment section?
  • edited December 2018
    I don't have disqus so it is here for now
    This will be updated
  • Why don't you have disqus?
  • I never got one, and it just seems so complex to use.
  • It’s not. You just sign up with a disqus account or through google, and then you’re signed in, and you can comment on many sites!
  • I don't have a google account
  • edited December 2018
    You can also make one directly via disqus.

1) If you don't have an account then the top of each comment section should look like so:

2)You can access the disqus login screen by clicking on the word login and then selecting disqus.

Alternatively, you can click the blue D icon on the far left.

3) Click the "Need an account?" that appears in the bottom right of the login window.

4) Enter the necessary information, prove you're not a robot, then click "sign up". Your account will be created. The form provided for this will look something like this.

5) You may possibly be required to verify your account. (I don't remember if disqus requires this or not.) To do this, you'll go to the email address you provided and check your inbox. If verification is necessary, disqus will have sent you an email containing a link. Click the link, and your account will likely be verified. After verifying your account, access the login screen as shown in step 2, enter the login information, and you'll be able to comment on cards on mtgcardsmith!
  • edited December 2018
    @Bowler218 , you don't have make magic accurate cards on this site. I think going and saying we can only make cards a certain way stiffles creativity. if somethnig makes you happy and has emotional attachment, then that's more than enough reason for it to exist. I think making what you enjoy for yourself should be the starting point of what you do. I sometimes make cards that are silly or impractical because I like to challenge the limits of things or get a laugh. Not every card I make is a winner, or comes out ideal, but I continue to improve and get better ideas as a I do more. There's some older cards I probably need go back and edit as I see their flaws in reflection with time.

(Cards made for other reasons than to make simply accurate magic cards.)
    image image image

That said I wouldn't discard all feedback you receive. My major request is you learn to make your text not run over the sides of the boxes. You have made some good cards that are marred by this. When the text runs over, look before you upload it. Preview your work, and make sure it's the best you can make it before clicking accept. Go back and hit enter, which will move it to the next line of text so it looks neater. This is especially important since you lack the ability to edit your cards after the fact. This alone will make people far more interested in what you make.

Other than that, keep making cards and trying improve. Look at real cards to mimic what wording is best to make your card do what you want it to. The Gather http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx and Mythic spoiler are a good place to look at real cards. http://mythicspoiler.com/sets.html
  • Okay, thanks! I did do that on the non-submitted version with a third tap ability, but it always ran over, so I scrapped it
  • edited December 2018
    Q1: from Tomigon: What is "2d10"?
    A: two ten sided dice used together to get a random number from 0 to 100.
    Q2: from Tomigon: If I understood it correctly, the maximum result of "3d6+3" is 6x6x6+3=219. You don't need that much damage to kill something. And this needs 4 counters to activate {t} abilities.
    A: The max is not 6x6x6+3, it is just adding to a max of 21

That's what I thought at first, but your card says "on anything below 80". So I thought you multiply numbers.
    If you add numbers like that, you get a random number from only 2 to 20. And probability on each result is not equal. There are only one way to get 2, but there are many ways to get the results around 10, 11, 12..

• edited December 2018
    @Tomigon 2d10 in this case means use the first die as the tens digit (00, 10, 20, 30...) and the second die as the ones digit (1, 2, 3, 4), then add them together.
    Normally this is referred to as percentile dice.

3d6+3 on the other hand is just normal addition.
  • @TheCenterOfTheUniverse
    Ok. So a ten-sided die has numbers from 0 to 9, and the maximum result of "2d10" is 99.
    And "+3" in "3d6+3" means something like "add them normally".
  • @Tomigon

00=100
    As in 1-100, and not 0-99
  • @Corwinnn
    You know what to do, and do it without taking my last word.
This discussion has been closed.