RNA Spoiler Discussion Thread

**SPOILERS AHEAD. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. NO NEED TO WORRY. EVERYTHING IS FINE.**
-- Azorius Senate

Hello Cardsmiths! What are you looking forward to the most from the new set? Let's discuss all this on this thread!

Comments

• edited January 2019
    First off, can we all agree that Judith, the Scourge Diva is easily the greatest card name of all time? Such a lovely old-school vibe.

Irritatingly for constructed, this is a legend. Although it is fun to use the legend rule to Shock the opponent!
  • More new-player friendliness, I felt like the last few sets were more pros-only, mainly kaladesh's energy and ravnica's faction heavy cards. I want more like dragon's maze, where it was like:

Creature
    Deathtouch
    Multicolored creatures you control have deathtouch

I would like to see that more or similar stuff to it.
  • edited January 2019
    @Bowler218: I'd say M19 was extremely new-player friendly (has to be, since it's a Core Set) and so was Ixalan block, IMO. You're right about the other sets though: Kaladesh was just poorly executed design, Amonkhet was way too aggro/red friendly, Dominaria was a nostalgia trip intended for older players, and GRN was pretty powered up. GRN was kinda good for everyone, though. Spikes got a ton of playables, combo players got stuff like Thousand Year Storm and Divine Visitation, while new players got plenty of flashy mythics like Doom Whisperer and Aurelia, and also neat intuitive commons for limited like Fresh Faced Recruit. More importantly, the aforementioned flashy mythics were also extremely powerful and playable, leading to fewer feel-bads for new players who often raredraft.

Regarding the latter half of your comment, something slightly similar was spoiled a while back, check it out:

Combine with Fiery Cannonade for an instant speed hard boardwipe for three mana? Or how about one more mana for Radiating Lightning for a one sided instant speed wrath that also Bolts the opponent's face? Statline is also decent, with menace and deathtouch being a spicy combo that makes this a nightmare to block. Could be a thorn in the side of Carnage Tyrant decks.

Edit: not to forget Shake the Foundations for an instant speed cantripping boardwipe. All of this is rendered not as good as it would have been by Adanto Vanguard though.
  • I’m mostly looking forward to the potential commander decks. Judith and Lavinia are gonna become CEDH decks which is boring, but I think Teysa could build the foundation for something interesting.
  • edited January 2019
    A standard esper deck with cards like:

Seraph of the Scales, Teysa Karlov, Kaya and other Azorius
  • Also Kaya is back!
  • @Lujikul: Love Teysa and her Necroharmonicon effect. Was only a matter of time before such an effect showed up. Someone's definitely going to try to combine Lavinia with Knowledge Pool for a hard lock. You even get to play creature Teferi in her colours for some degeneracy with Knowledge Pool.

@pjbear2005: I was very underwhelmed by Kaya.
  • @Lujikul: Can you imagine a Wurmcoil Engine dying with Teysa out? Quite scary!
  • @KalamMekhar

I was too, but she's one of my favorite characters storywise and I'm happy she's back. But also graveyard hate.
  • Amonkhet 2.0!
This discussion has been closed.