New Idea for a Contest - Dungeon Crawl!

Comments

• @MonkeyPirate2002
    Not sure, I just thought you didn't realize they meant faerie.
  • edited December 2018
    @MonkeyPirate2002 I'm planning to build a second deck of blue / green faeries.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 I made my deck, featuring a few custom cards which I hope aren't too broken which is dedicated to buffing teammates creatures and Merfolk
    Commander:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rainblesser-totorfin

Creatures:
    x1 Finva, Living Tank ( https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/finva-living-tank )
    x2 Splintering Merfolk ( https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/splintering-merfolk )
    x1 Manta Riders
    x2 Shapers of Nature
    x1 Drudge Beetle

Instant/Sorcery Spells:
    x1 Aggressive Urge
    x2 Forced Adaptation
    X1 Hindervines

Lands:
    x4 Forests
    x4 Islands
  • edited December 2018
    @Potato13 None of the cards seem overpowered and the deck as a whole seems really fair. The fact that both Totorfin and Finva are uncommon is a little strange (but they're from Dominaria so it's fine) and I might suggest that Finva became a rare because counter-adding seems to be a mechanic at rare (though it's also a mechanic in green only, so you're shifting the colour pie and so I can't be certain).

One other thing is that Totorfin should probably be slightly more powerful. My recommendation would be to reduce the cost of his activated ability to 1UG. Here's the reason why he should be a little stronger:

• @Potato13

My biggest issue with the cards is that it is not properly worded and one card, Finva, has two abilities that make no sense together. Also, if she's called the Living Tank, why is she blue and can't be blocked instead of being green (or blue/green) and has more defensive abilities?
  • edited December 2018
    @Potato13 Actually, change of suggestion based on what @MonkeyPirate2002 said. I'd recommend that you make Finva green as well as blue to make it fit the colour pie. I'd also recommend that you change the "can't be blocked" for something that makes more sense, perhaps something like hexproof or trample.

As said above, Finva should be rare because more-counters-per-counter is a strictly rare mechanic and Totorfin should be more powerful because Plaxcaster Frogling is a card.

One final thing is that Finva's right, non-edible isn't a word. It's inedible and it makes no sense because neither "living tank" nor Finva's current mechanics have anything to do with eating.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 I'm not too good with wording, but here's the fixed Finva (Hopefully the concept of dwelling somewhere relates to food, staying hidden from spells under the depths) and a buffed Totorfin.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/finva-deepwater-dweller
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rainblesser-totorfin-1
  • edited December 2018
    @Potato13 Other than the fact that the graft subtext on Totorfin should technically be in italics and the word "teammates" should be "teammate's" those seem a lot better and make more sense.
  • Sorry guys for not much activity here. To make it up to you, I'll ask you a deceptively simple question:

How often should boss battles be done?
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 I'd say that in terms of the dungeon, they should happen sometimes, but not too often. For example, meeting a horde of zombies would be a boss battle, but a few random zombies would be more of an encounter, similar to the "how do you deal with the locked door?" scenario we did a little while ago.

In terms of real life, it would be based on schedules aligning and I have no idea how that would go.
  • @MemoryHead Now that I think about it, two bosses per month would be a good amount. After every other week I'd create a little scenario for the winning team right before they are introduced to the new boss, then discuss with them about scheduling, and sort of make a chart of times in which I'm available, then have everyone commune which time they should do the boss.

For everyone, do you think bosses should be introduced to the winning team through private messages, or on the thread itself?
  • edited December 2018
    Previous question about bosses is now considered null. I will post everything publicly on the discussion, except for hidden info that is gained by parties.

Different question, you guys have any suggestions for titles? "Dungeon Crawl" just doesn't do this contest any favors.

Edit: Each party will have a leader in their group, which is responsible for moderating the discussion between party members about what they're gonna do during scenarios, then post all cards submitted from their party for said scenario. Party Leader will be added as a guild choice.
  • Warriors and Wizards, Monsters and Magic, Shamans and Spells

Those are just of few of the x & y theme of the titles.
  • @pjbear2005 I'm looking for titles that represent a campaign rather than a system, like "Tomb of Annihilation" instead of "D&D." I should've mentioned this in my question; the game is set in a prison inside of a giant mountain where rumors have been going around that the prison folk, criminals and faculty alike, have mysteriously disappeared. Everyone who participates in the challenge are "adventurers" who have set out into the mountain to figure out what has happened.

• @MonkeyPirate2002 Ooh, actually knowing where we are. I like it. The name would probably either be based on the names of the mountain and / or prison (depending on whether any part of the adventure takes place on the mountain) or the name could be related to something in the prison relating to the story (if there is one) though that might give the plot away.

You might just want to call it "the prison of [mountain name]" or something similar (even though that's pretty unoriginal) or just refrain from naming it for the time being.
  • edited December 2018
    @MemoryHead I was thinking the title could be something like "Ruin of Kolgreath's Keep." What do you think?

To everyone, there will be no map for you to see. The dungeon was very secretive of its inner workings and the sudden disappearance of everyone in the mountain has opened up an opportunity to learn about the enigmatic history of "Kolgreath's Keep." Instead, I'll create a flow chart (for my eyes only) that will basically tell where each party goes to based on their decisions in the scenarios. This is why I want groups to have responsible party leaders.
  • ALWAYS GO RIGHT!!!!
  • edited December 2018
    @MonkeyPirate2002 Assuming that the place has something to do with Kolgreath's Keep then yeah, it has the right ring to it. Also @Bowler218, that may be a slight problem as I'm a "go left" person.
  • @MemoryHead Don't worry, most of your decisions don't require you to choose a direction.
  • So how is this going.
  • @BorosPaladin Damned if I know. I think I might be the only person other than you who remembers it still exists *definitely not a suggestion for some people to come back*
  • I think it’s time we get some proper rules together to make this into a new discussion for the saga category
  • Sorry guys, I’ve been quite distracted with other things. However, I am planning on play testing a different boss sometime next week with the new room mechanic you guys came up with. Details will be posted later.
  • Ooh, nice. Also, I've got a few bosses and their decks that I've fully created and some that I only need to smith a few cards for to contribute. I'm helping!
  • edited January 2019
    Alright, time to talk about the second play test. If we have 4 players, then the players will have 15 health each, and the boss (me) will have 65 health. You should all make a deck with 25 cards in it. What I'd recommend having is 17 nonland cards (including the commander) plus 8 lands.

Don't worry @MemoryHead, I've already got an idea for a boss for play testing. Send me a private message once you're done!
  • You and your party are walking through the lower levels of the dungeon when you hear loud crunching sounds. You walk over to where you hear the sounds. There is a closed door in front of whatever is making that noise. One of your party members gets the great idea of opening the door and checking what's inside. The door creaks uneasily and-

Corpses. There are corpses everywhere. Each one with marks that resemble charred flesh. However, upon closer inspection you all realize that the fire was not normal. It was created by something of unholy origin.

As you walk into the room the crunching continues, only getting louder and louder. Soon enough you see with your dimly lit lantern a hulking beast in the center of the room, feasting upon the corpses lying around. Or it was feasting, until the weak light of your lantern hit the creature. Its gaze was fixed upon you, your party, and the fresh meat that presented itself right in front of this monster.

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS APPEARED

Room:

Special rules: N'aix starts the game already in play with a corpse to feast upon. The corpse's toughness will be decided by a d6. However, N'aix takes the last turn, with turns going counterclockwise.

The Boss and its room is done! Now I just have to put the rest of the deck together...
  • Do you guys think we should do play testing on Martin Luther King Day? Or would a later time be better?
  • I'd be fine with that. I feel as though the actual time in the day that we do this is going to be more of the problem.
  • I have no idea when that is
This discussion has been closed.