"CHOOSE YOUR OWN SAGA" CONTEST 2019

Comments

• @Beastakles here is what number 31 is:

You have unlocked:

"Good fortune"

Congratulations you have found a number that rewards you with your choice of 3 favorites. Please post them here for me to favorite for you.

Your task: Create a command card for your main character.

No added lore here, please continue with your lore you have provided!
  • @IronCrusher here is what number 60 is:

You have unlocked:

"Omniverse"

You may submit a card you have created OUTSIDE of this contest into the contest for it to be judged! It can be any type of card, just state you are using this item/ability when you post the card please!

Your task: Create a card capable of allowing its controller to play cards not in their deck, but are cards that they own. Please keep the colors with true to your main character if possible please.

Your character has run into another creature!

What will your creature do, and what will this creature do? Please add this creature to your ongoing lore!
  • 51! I choose you!
  • edited January 2019
    Only a few grey clouds obscured the horizon. The morning sky was a charming blue tinged with pink, and the tall oaks and birch trees that lined the narrow road moved softly in a gentle breeze. It was eerily silent however, save for the rare cawing of a lonely carrion bird looking for its next meal. It reminded Grayvan of home.

"If I can ever call that place my home". In truth, he rather disliked the gloomy realm of his lord, it was empty of ... everything, really. The Spider God kept all for himself, rarely ever sharing even small parts the massive hoard he had accumulated over the eons of his existence with his minions. Which included Grayvan, who was riding atop a medium-size coursier across yet another forest. It seemed to him that Innistrad was an endless succession of unwelcoming forests, gloomy marshlands and miserable towns. But he welcomed it, inhaling the smell of the wild undergrowth. The smell of life.

It had been two days since the small eight-legged messenger had delivered his mission to him. He hadn't heard of Karveen since. He didn't mind. The mere touch of his overlord's alien sentience could send tremors through his hands and fingers, and Grayvan would more often than not end up sweaty and breathing hard when the contact ended. But he could not disobey. Never. Not if he wanted Karveen to keep the promise he made to all his Agents when they were born in the abyss of his kingdom, that is.

As Grayvan drifted through his thoughts, his awareness descreased ever so slightly. His horse took that opportunity to break out from his rider's mental grip. It reared and bolted forward, almost throwing him down. At the last moment, Klenn's hand snapped forward with blinding speed, oily black claws bursting from his fingertips and gripping firmly the saddel's pommel. He regained control, forcing the horse's mind into submission with sheer willpower.

He cursed. Of course the horse hated him, he thought as his hand returned to a more human appearance. Every beast he encountered could somehow smell out his otherworldly nature, and sometimes even some sentient species like Elves, vedalken, viashino or sphinxes. These he would usually avoid. Humans and dwarves were more dull in that sense; he could sometimes befriend some. "Until the mission is over, and I have to move on, that is", he muttered.

That human "tolerance" was why he and most of his Agent comrades chose a human appearance. Some disliked it, but Grayvan much preferred it to the towering, chitinous form their master had originally given them. It had been over forty years since he had taken that appearance, and didn't miss it at all. Humans had warmth, they had feelings. He found them very interesting, and felt in his place amongst them.

"Speaking of humans ..." he mumbled through his beard, as a small band emerged from the trees and onto the road in front of him.

"Stop right there, ye filth. You ain't getting through that easily", growled a dark-haired, slouched individual, swinging a mace menacingly.

Grayvan stopped the horse. In a few seconds, twelve men and women had surrouded him, all armed and wearing tarnished red surcoats over chainmail. Some kind of town guard, he tought. Or a milicia. "What do you people want with me ?"

"We were told some dark rider would come today, with evil in mind" spat the slouched man through yellow teeth. "No rider 'till you. Surrender or else !"

"Who told you that ?" Grayvan asked.

"None of your buisness. Get down of yer horse."

"Was it a woman ? Versed in ... the arcane perhaps ?"

"That's enough ! Take him down !" With that said, they sprang forward in a coordinated attack from all sides, weapons high.

Klenn released the horse, which rushed forward, knocking down an assailant. Grayvann jumped and landed expertly on the packed earth, drawing his axe with one hand and donning his helm in one swift motion with the other. With inhuman speed, he dove under a spear and smashed his own weapon into the wielder's ribcage. It caved in with a crunch, chaimail and bones. A sword glanced off his shoulder plate, and we swung around, almost gracefully, his axe slicing a throat before blocking another blow from the swordsman. An armored punch into an unprotected jaw, and three men were down in less than six seconds.

The remaining men regrouped a few feet back, faces tense.

"Oi, Forgas ! A hand perhaps ?", shouted Slouched-Back. "We wern't warned we would have to greet some demon of sorts!"

A thirteenth man emerged from the brush. We wasn't armed, and wore a long brown coat instead of armor. But Klenn immediatly sensed it. The man was a wielder of magic. A real threat; the withered face and gnarly hands didn't fool him. He braced himself, dark energies coalescing deep inside him.

The man stopped, and extended his hand, bushy eyebrows frowned. There was the sharp smell of ozone, and, without a word, lightning sprang from his fingertips, arcing towards Klenn.

"Now." He raised his right hand with blazing speed, and a cloud of oily black smoke exploded out from his outstreched palm, smothering the bolt, which forked in all directions. Four men were struck down, and the others ducked for cover. The sorcerer readied himself for another assault, but he was blinded by the smoke.

Klenn wasn't. The men scrambling around him appeared as red and orange figures in the dark haze, but one stood out bright blue. He rushed to him, bringing down his axe in a deadly cleave. The metal met no resistance from the woolen clothing, and the magic-wielder collapsed.

The smoke dissipated, and Grayvan found himself alone, surrounded by corpses. The remaining men had fled, and his horse was nowhere to be seen. "On foot it is, then." It didn't matter; he was close. This patrol had been warned by his target, he was sure of it. The short vision his lord had given him through the spider had seemingly established some sort of brief connection between him and the woman, allowing her to prepare herself and send people to slow him down. She likely was on the run now.

Grayvan's nostrils flared, and he broke into a sprint down the road. The hunt had started.

As the dust settled, the crows gathered for a feast, and the oaks and birch trees resumed their rustling.

• @sorinjace So being new to the whole cardsmith thing (at least account stuff like favoriting or joining competitions like this), I have absolutely no idea how to "favorite" cards or what that really means.

Nor do I play a lot of commander, so therefore I am a little in the dark about how to make Aldren commander-playable.

So my questions to you @sorinjace are: How do I favorite a card? What does it mean to favorite a card? And what are some traits of commander legendary creatures that set them apart from just normal legendary creatures? Would you - or anyone else in this competition - be willing to help me out with these? If so, thank you so much for your help.
  • edited January 2019
    @sorinjace Or perhaps I should ask, what's a command card?

Like a cryptic command kind of card, like a temur charm for example, or as in make your creature a commander?
  • @Beastakles yup, command cards are cards with options cards like primal command, austere command, etc. Your card must be in that style or as close as you can get it.

Favorite cards mean you click on the star below reading the rules text. Itshkws a totalnumber, if any, of all who have done that already. So if you earned favorites you post the cards links here and i will go favorite them.
  • I will continue lore later, I'm playing Dnd right now.
  • @sorinjace
    Mkay since this is the last phase, I'm gonna use that snazzy Foreseeable Future power and take a look at 70, 71 and 72 before I make my decision!
  • @Revan ok, and also I favorited 5 cards from that set.

@LostinStatic i'll private message you what 70, 71, and72 are asap. :)
  • Message received, I shall choose 72! @sorinjace
  • @LostinStatic here is what number 72 is:

You've unlocked

"Gideon's Ego"

Treat this as an emblem that no one can change for the rest of the contest. When you use it, your entries can't be destroyed for the rest of the contest!

Your task: create a card of any kind that grants indestructible to a permanent.

No lore has been added, please continue with your story already provided!
  • Before I get the card + lore up, which I'll do tomorrow, I'll immediately use the emblem! Hoorah for indestructible entries!
  • Sorry @sorinjace I was just hoping to seal myself a spot. I'll be submitting an entry tonight sometime most likely.
  • edited January 2019
    @sorinjace

The last of the Koranoran, Mygwyl still struggles with the fact that he is all that is left of this once great race. Mygwyl does has real power, you see, he can create things instantaneously...... from his mind. He has the gift of artifice, which means he can control metal using the magic that naturally flows through Triskyla. He can craft great weapons and mechanical marvel in a series of seconds. He's now helping to fight in the Blue Bold, a war that has lasted ever since the fall of Koranor, between their destroyers, the Trobuf, and protectors, the Ryrmouyt. And he is discovering ways to push his abilities beyond what they could ever be before.

imageimage

• @sorinjace quick question : are we allowed to post lore even if we don't currently have a challenge ?
  • @ASubtleGhost yes, drop as much as you would like to add to your lore! That goes for everyone. The contest has until January 31st, so if you don't request for numbers the unopened numbers will just fizzle out and what cards that have been submitted will be judged so long as they survive until the end of the contest. :)
  • @sorinjace I see n°8 wasn't picked. I'll do it if possible.
  • @sorinjace
    Am I joining to late?
  • edited January 2019
    @bigbadbooknerd Just create a card and story to start off in the contest. Its running until 1/31/19 but you may be able to crank out a few cards by then.

Ill get back asap @ASubtleGhost for your #8.
  • Okay I did I just posted it
  • Here's the next part of Aldren's story:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/inceptive-edict-1

I will post the lore for this in full later, but the premise is that Aldren and Mila travel to a neighboring city in Bura Sam, beyond the borders of Thesgal. They are meeting with the viceroy of the city as they conduct a diplomatic mission. What is the purpose of their mission...we'll just have to wait and see.
  • @bigbadbooknerd I am curious, what is the program you are using to make your card? It looks wonderful!
  • @Beastakles

Thanks, I used MTG. Design, its online and free
  • @ASubtleGhost here is what number 8 is:

You have unlocked

"Dynamite!"

The dynamite is set to go off, you have no choice you must choose an entry by another cardsmith to destroy. It can only be used on a cardsmith with more than one entry other than yourself.(just name the cardsmith and card. It wont be judged as long as Dynamite! resolves without interference.)

Your task: Create an artifact that will help you search your library (for whatever youd like.) But the artifact must have a drawback of some kind.

There was no lore here, please continue with your ongoing lore already provided!
  • @sorinjace So if I'm doing this right, I have favorited these three cards from the website:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ulvenwald-banker

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/erudil-krothian-manipulator

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/arinska-wandering-sellsword

Or are they supposed to be from this contest?
  • @sorinjace In any case, once that is done I will choose number 48 from the remaining list.
This discussion has been closed.