[RESULTS] The HALF-Great Designer Search 3 — Challenge 1: The Multicolour Grid

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Note: please disregard any plane specific flavor text on any of my designs and assume they could be flavored for a generic standard legal set.

UW Common Creature

Flickering is a regularly used ability on both blue and white but has never been done on a hybrid creature before. I think this design is simple and functional while putting more emphasis on the flicker ability than the creature itself (3/3 for 5 is not at all exciting). I chose to make it insta-flicker like Restoration Angel to avoid the memory issue of the creature returning at EOT on cards like Flickerwisp and made it only target your creatures to reduce complexity at common.

UB Uncommon Sorcery (Split Card)
    imageimage

I couldn’t believe that WOTC hasn’t used Cloak/Dagger yet for a split card since it fits so perfectly in U/B so I decided to capitalize on the opportunity. Cloak has sort of a spy and gathering information flavor that is mechanically represented by making the creature unblockable and gathering information via scry 3. Dagger plays up an assassination theme. Usually, an assassin kills a somewhat weak but high value target, hence the power restriction but also the 3 damage. Both sides are applicable in different situations, so I think they work well together as a split card.

GB Mythic Rare Planeswalker

I chose to theme this planeswalker around tokens. Traditionally green makes saproling tokens so that felt appropriate for an old forest hermit planeswalker. The life gain on the plus one synergizes with the life payment on the ultimate. The minus ability lets you choose any token (creature token, treasure, clue, etc.) to allow for more potential combination of cards that make tokens that this can combine effectively with. I was toying with having him start with 3 loyalty but felt that 2 was safer without testing to ensure he could kill a max of 2 creatures without plussing, assuming you already have a good number of tokens when you play him.

GR Rare Enchantment

This is my take on what has now become a staple rare card in red: the impulsive draw enchantment. The main feel bad associated with these types of cards is that if you are unable to cast the exiled card or have better options in your hand, it is gone forever for no value. This card recoups some of that value by powering up your creatures and lands for exiled cards you don’t play with it. It will also lead to some interesting decisions where it might be better to not play the exiled cards to get a power boost or fix your mana.

WR Uncommon Instant

This card takes a red ability (one sided fight) and puts a white flavor on it by making it reactive and available only to your blocking creatures. Overall, it is not too strong given its restrictions compared to similar cards (Fall of the Hammer) but its combat restriction and situational character make it uncommon.
  • @bnew07
    Where's the walker? I can't see it.
  • @Faiths_Guide

It should be fixed now. Let me know if you still can’t see it
  • @Faiths_Guide

How about now? I think this one should work
  • @bnew07
    I can see the Walker! ^^
  • One of my entries:
  • @ningyounk
    Thespis was updated.
  • edited January 2019
    Here are my entries.

• edited January 2019
    WB - Uncommon - Enchantment

UR - Rare - Sorcery

BG - Mythic - Planeswalker

RW - Common - Instant

GW - Rare - Creature

• edited January 2019
  • @Derfaulehelmut
    Commented on the card page.
  • 1. G/U Creature

2. R/W Planeswalker

3. U/B Enchantment

4. G/W Instant

5. B/R Sorcery

• edited January 2019
    Changed one of my entries.
  • edited January 2019
    @Faiths_Guide Thank you for your tips. I corrected the card although it kinda hurt because it was my first card with two favorites xD. I will add the other cards during the day.

W/U Uncommon Enchantment

B/R Common Sorcery

B/G Mythic Rare Creature

R/W Mythic Rare Planeswalker

G/U Rare Instant

• edited January 2019
    Alright, it's now officially Monday everywhere in the world which means the contest is...

CLOSED FOR JUDGING (BUT...)

That being said, there are a number of people who expressed interest in participating but didn't post an entry.

@notmyprimespeaker @pjbear2005 @KalamMekhar @kandra127 @bigbadbooknerd @saveria201@KJMartin

If I extend the contest to this week-end, will any of you enter, or should I just go on with the judging phase? If no one asks for an extension in the next 24h, I'll just assume I can go on with the judging ^^
  • @ningyounk, You can go ahead and judge
  • @sanjaya666

Man, that MTGDesign planeswalker frame looks sharp. Any chance of something like that any time soon, @MTGCardsmith?
  • I'm too busy to design the full set for this sadly :(, but I will enjoy looking at the other entries.
  • @ningyounk: got caught up with work, but I have some design skeletons that I just need to make into cards, so could I have an extension? Sorry about this!
  • edited January 2019
    @ningyounk Sorry to be a pain, there was a big typo on one of my submissions that I just noticed!

It's the RB - Enchantment

Sorry to be a pain but could this one be submitted rather than the one in my original post, obviously I missed the deadline but if this is possible I'd be very grateful
  • @KalamMekhar
    Alright, we've got an extension happening, is Saturday enough for you?

@SmallJem
    No problem, I'm going to extend the challenge a few days for everyone in the end ^^
  • @ningyounk: Saturday works for me!
  • I've got the cards, I just need to post them
  • edited January 2019
    I can't. sorry. :(
  • edited January 2019
    As am I!
    .|
    .|
    \/
  • I am announcing my entry! I'm working on these cards now and will surely be done before Saturday.
  • I messed up on my colors, posting cards laterer.
  • @All

DEADLINE HAVE NOW OFFICIALLY BEEN POSTPONED TO SATURDAY 02/02/2019 FOR REASONS ABOVE
This discussion has been closed.