Custom Commander Contest

Comments

• I also agree with @DoctorFro. Also, I'd like to ask that nobody does anything super net-deck-ish (as in, don't just build some optimized top-tier super-competitive thing which is basically just a normal competitive EDH deck that happens to contain custom cards).
  • I agree with @MemoryHead but I think that infinite combos have to be really hard to get, such as needing three cards or more that are hard to tutor for in your deck. If they were easy to tutor for, it would go against the whole thing about competitive decks not being allowed.
  • @AxNoodle Yeah, my main thing is that I want to see something clever and original, not "oh, I play Doomsday and you might as well concede now".
  • @MemoryHead & @AxNoodle
    Good points.

My big thing is that I want all decks to be fun for everyone even when they're winning. IMO, infinite combos tend to be fun only for the one playing them.
  • edited February 2019
    Commander:

Other Custom Cards:
    image image image image imageimageimage imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage imageimageimageimageimage

Feedback on all is welcome! Notice that I've avoided any custom keywords (and I think we should refrain from doing otherwise).
  • @FaithsGuide Is there something I can help with? This looks all locked up.
  • edited February 2019
    @Beeswax
    At this point, probably not. I wished you'd been here when this started because I consider you the best custom EDH card designer on the site.
  • Am I still able to join, or has it maxed out on players?
  • @MittoMan
    I think it is temporarily maxed out. @Ranshi922 is the one to double check that with though.
  • @MittoMan, you can join as a reserve for the nearly certain but hopefully avoided event that somebody drops out.
  • Okay, will do. Do I have to do anything, or just wait for a response?
  • @Faiths_Guide Command Mill should activate the top part when the land is tapped, and maybe it enters the battlefield tapped...idk seems ummmm OP in commander...there should be a cost for the free like {2} so Like you only have to pay it once
  • @MittoMan, prepare as though you are certainly going to be in it. Post your commander(s) and your custom cards. Basically, you will need to be ready should someone drop out.
  • Ok, will do
  • Nice.

@Participants & @Reserves, I would like you to send me your decklists. I want to clump together the cards that are being used so that I can make a set for it similar to the WotC Commander sets. Basically I looked into the numbering patterns and then am doing that.
  • edited February 2019
    Before I send you the decklist, I'll post my custom cards in here to have them evaluated
  • edited February 2019
    Commander:

99:
    image image image image image image image image image image image image image image
  • edited February 2019
    @DoctorFro It's possible that Command Mill's been edited between you talking about it and me seeing it and making this comment, but the top ability removes commander tax for everybody, not just the mill's controller. It's the kind of thing that can be exploited for infinite combos with the right commander, but Marr isn't one of them.
  • @MittoMan My first take on them is that they're all stupidly wordy. My second take is that most of them are overpowered. Indestructible isn't a mechanic to be bandied around and a decent number of them can be defined as "Keyword soup with indestructible that does something extra-overpowered if you have your commander."

The fact that they all have difficult mana requirements is notable, but 5-color EDH gives you a lot of ways to fix mana so I'd say that doesn't matter too much.

I can give my opinions on balancing each individual card if you want me to, but that's my take on them as a whole. I might be being too harsh though, so I'm sorry if I am.
  • I'm going to have to drop out of this.
  • @pjbear2005... *sighs*

@MemoryHead, you’re in.
  • @MittoMan
    I'm afraid I have to agree with @MemoryHead on your customs. Sorry about that.
  • edited February 2019
    @DoctorFro
    I could drop the Mill altogether, that'd be no problem. All it does is passively remove commander tax for all players.
  • @All
    Any more thoughts on specific cards of mine before I combine them with my decklist?
  • @Faiths_Guide The only card that really worries me is Eyralesh, Despot. I feel as though there are terrible things that can be achieved with him and a rushed-out big demon like Griselbrand, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.
  • edited February 2019
    @MemoryHead
    Well, no need to worry about Griselbrand (since he's banned), but Eyralesh might be too pushed. Personally I think he's probably going to under-perform in EDH since he can't add counters unless a Demon gets killed while in play, so I will probably cut him.

As a matter of fact, I think Gobbahl wasn't designed well enough either and will be sub-par so I might cut both 'walkers.
  • @Faiths_Guide Wow, I had totally forgotten that Griselbrand was banned. I really need to read that banned list again...

Also, I agree with the decision to cut Gobbahl. It seems really counterintuitive in a deck based on playing loads and loads of tiny 1/1 creatures that take forever to sacrifice and big payoffs you don't want to sacrifice.
  • edited February 2019
    @MemoryHead
    Well, you could tutor Gobbahl by sacrificing all your Apostles and he'd likely flip on your very next upkeep, but he's still (probably) not strong enough.
  • edited February 2019
    My alphabetized deck list (complete with links to all customs used).
    Unused cards from above: Wrothfire Terror, Time Focal, Gobbahl font/back, & Eyralesh.

Commander (1)
    1x Marr, Shadowborn Surger

Land (26)
    1x Badlands
    1x Blood Crypt
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Cabal Coffers
    1x Command Tower
    1x Crumbling Necropolis
    1x Crypt of Agadeem
    1x Dragonskull Summit
    1x Drowned Catacomb