It's time for our third round of...
The premise of this contest is simple:
1) It follows the original GDS3 challenges
. You can find the original challenges HERE!
2) You only need to design half the cards
compared to the original rules (usually going from 8-10 to 4-5 cards). I adapted the rules accordingly.
3) A little twist
has been added to each challenge so people who followed the GDS3 can't come too prepared.
4) No elimination
, you can skip any round or jump in at any moment.
Without further ado, let's jump to the challenge:
__________HALF-CHALLENGE 3: A CIRCUS ACT
You can find the rules of the original challenge HERE!
I took them and cut them in half:THE HALF-RULES:
1) You must design 4 cards.
2) You must only use names from the list below. You must use the card names exactly, no tweaking (with one exception listed below).
3) Your cards must mechanically capture the flavor of their title.
3) You must use at least three different card types.
4) You must make one card of each rarity (common, uncommon, rare, mythic rare).
5) You must make at least one legendary card. For legendary cards, and only legendary cards, you may slightly tweak the name to make it sound legendary.
6) Each color must appear at least once. It doesn't have to be in the mana cost.
7) You are allowed access to all evergreen mechanics (which do not include deciduous mechanics) and up to one non-evergreen mechanic. Note that there is no requirement to use named mechanics. Please do not create any new named keyword mechanics.
But that's not all. To prevent people who already did the full original challenge from having too much of a head start, I added... a twist.
8) The cards won't be about circus. Instead THE NEW THEME IS FAIRY TALES
. I also cut in half the number of options available for the names, so you'll find below a list of 12 names that you must use to make your four cards.
• Big Bad Wolf
• Eerie Ballroom
• Enchanted Flower
• Fairy Godmother
• Hundred-Year Curse
• Kiss of True Love
• Mirror on the Wall
• Once Upon a Time
• Princess Rescue
• Prison Tower
• Questing Beast
• Shining Armor
Here are some additional information for the contest:OLD CARDS ARE:
Allowed, as long as they fit within the restrictionsFORMAT:
Design cards for an undefined Standard-legal setTEXT-ONLY CARDS ARE:
Allowed, but you must link the illustration that would go with it. DEADLINE:
Saturday, March 16th (2 weeks from now)REWARD:
- 1st place — 5 favourites of their choice
- 2st place — 3 favourites of their choice
- 3st place — 1 favourite of their choice
This round is really about flavour. The best design will be the ones that manage to extract the flavourful essence of the names, so choose carefully. Finally, there are *A LOT* of rules for this one, read them twice to make sure you don't forget anything ;)
Good luck everyone, let the third round of the HALF-GDS3 begin! =D