What would you imagine one's true form to be? challenge

Hello fellow cardsmiths, it has been a while since I've tried a contest/challenge just for the fun of it. So I wanted to see something specific from each of you. Which I'll mention shortly!

Firstly, this may be a just for fun challenge. But if we get lots of interest in this challenge, I'll offer prizes as thanks.

Now onto the challenge premise, I want you to make a transform card that features you or a friend of yours' believed true form. How will this work? We'll show some examples made from us to start, then get into the details.

From @Ranshi922 (More of a split persona)

imageimage

From @murkletins (Transformation into true form)

imageimage

Prizes:
To be determined, depending on community engagement.

Due Date:
The due date for this contest is the 7th of April. Late entries will be accepted as long as we haven't finished judging.

Rules:
1) The card must feature yours or a friend's true and alternate form.
2) The card must be a transform card.
3) Up to five entries.
4) Up to two old entries.
5) Make sure to credit the creator of the artwork on your cards.

Brief guide to uploading linked pictures/images in comments! (W/ Visual Aid)

Comments

• edited April 2019
    Forum Etiquette:
    1) If you don't have a good idea of what your friend's form would be, ask them.
    2) Please don't make cards that would be insulting to another cardsmith.
  • The one I made was about you... just want to make sure that's clear.
  • imageimage

One of my friends is the sort of person who's an upstanding citizen everywhere except in games. He's always polite, friendly, doesn't swear, etc. But, he does have a sadistic side that comes out during the various games we play, one of which is Magic. He's also somewhat obsessed with vampires, and there's no doubt in anyone's mind that they're his favorite mythical creatures. There's also no doubt that if he could choose, he wouldn't be a bloodsucking child of the night.
  • @murkletins @Ranshi922 I love the allusions to transgenderism in those cards!
  • I love the entries we have so far.

@Ranshi922
    Yeah, no worries. I'm aware I just wanted to show it off. It's also entered to this contest.

@pjbear2005
    Thanks, I'm inspired by the idea of transformation. As such, I wanted to see more cards inspired directly by cardsmiths and their friends.
  • Oh! Well, thanks for covering that already!
  • By the way, I was wondering if it would be appropriate that I start a transgender (trans-species?) challenge later. I wasn't sure how many people would be interested, since the limited scope. but it's something I'm very interested in.

If you could ask a friend of yours from the site to chime in and let me know, in addition to how you feel about it. I just wanted to save up a collection of cards made by the community to get printed physically and shipped. I might consider starting another contest to get the community's cards printed for one lucky cardsmith later on as well, if the other one goes well.
  • I wouldn't be opposed to one, though the inherent controversy of the subject may make it a bit... daunting.
  • I honestly don't understand why people are still so against it...
  • @Ranshi922 @Lujikul
    Yeah, I just wanted help making a collection of cards, that I can have as keepsakes. So I hoped this would be a reasonable challenge to start.

But I'll wait to see if at least five people are willing to enter later, when I start it. I'm contemplating having unique rewards distributed through mtgcardsmith for an upcoming contest and that may be the one to have them.

How would this sound?

The winner gets a full playset each of one of their favorite entries to the contest and another card of theirs they choose.

Would this be interesting, if I can get this organized? I'm assuming everyone would like their favorite card immortalized.
  • Unique rewards? Pray tell! (What do you mean by that?)
  • @Ranshi922
    I'm thinking of getting someone's favorite cards printed for them for placing highly, and having a new avatar unlockable for entering the contest. But I have to speak to MTGCardsmith again about my change in plans for the avatar design that I had before.
  • I think the avatar should be for placers.
  • Friendly bump.

Here's an old card
  • @pjbear2005
    Cool, I like cards with reflections. There one of my favorites.
  • @murkletins I couldn't find the artist for it though, if I find it I'll put it on
  • A transform card I made, it shows coming out of the darkness and into the light. It also shows breaking out of a shell that you were put into and living your best life.

https://mtg.design/i/loam72
    https://mtg.design/i/sorb87
  • edited April 2019

These two are based off of a friend of mine. Morgan is gender fluid and has a personality disorder that causes them to act differently at different time. They can go from reckless and disorderly to perfectly organized and somewhat stuck up in a relatively short time. Also, they like pirates.
  • edited April 2019
    @Lujikul
    Sure, if you use two different images within the challenge theme.
  • @Lujikul
    Or if you have them in the same artwork. I forgot how flip cards work.
  • edited April 2019
    I figured I may as well tackle myself.

I'm a big fan of the philosophy that a person has three questions they need to answer about themselves before they can be at peace. "Who am I? How am I? What am I?" "Who" is your identity on a personal level, "how" is the personality qualities and values you adhere to, and "what" is yourself on, for lack of a better way to put it, a physical level, even though that's not quite right.

I've had my first two questions answered for myself for a while. I'm simply me, and I want to be the kind of person that, as I put it once, returns a borrowed car with a full tank of gas. The question of what am I has eluded me, though, and has only arisen in the past two years or so. So right now, my 'true form' is simply a mystery, an indeterminate fork in the road that is my life.

imageimage

Once I procured the artwork (with a little editing in ms paint) I was going to use the art+ text box of one as the "art" when making the other. It didn't work out (doesn't fit/ line up well) so I made two separate cards instead that contain all the details of the other as hidden text in their text box.
  • Sweet entry! :)
  • Casually Shy Bump.
  • I'll join if I can
  • I am having trouble brainstorming...
  • I'm having trouble deciding on artwork for your card, @Ranshi922. So no worries, its challenging!
This discussion has been closed.