Face Down **Circuit Challenge**

In this challenge, I'd like to see some cards that send cards to exile face down!

Examples:
imageimageimage

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, creativity and flavor.

Limit of 3 entries max per person.
Only new cards.
Deadline in two weeks: April 25th
*Top 3 winning card will get a favorite from -TROPHY-; and a spot on -HALL OF FAME- !

First Place will get 1 *circuit point
Second Place will get 3/4 circuit point
Third Place will get 1/2 circuit point
Honorable Mentions will get 1/4 circuit point
*circuit point?: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4160/circuit-challenge-2019-season-2

Comments

• edited April 2019
    Guess I'll start :D

• edited April 2019
    Can I post an old card @Tomigon?

If yes...

I made this yesterday
  • @shadow123
    The rules say "Only new cards," but @Tomigon might let it slide since it is such a recent publication.
  • edited April 2019
    Here are some cards using my custom mechanic Infuse:

imageimageimage
  • @shadow123
    What a coincidence! Ok, I'll accept that card!
  • @ArmisJoe
    Those are very cool cards, but your Rooting Riverside doesn't count because it exiles the card face up. Sorry!
  • edited April 2019
    Here's a card that I made to work with morph creatures and my custom mechanic conceal:
    Conceal [Cost] (You may turn this creature face down at any time for its conceal cost. Turn it face up at any time for its morph or mana cost.)

Exiling face down actually has a lot of benefits because your opponents will no longer have a right to know which concealed creatures are which since they were unknown in another zone and then entered the battlefield face down! Hopefully the card is fun and conveys the political story behind the mechanics it works with. Cheers :)
  • @RohanDragoon
    That's a very interesting card! But there are two problems..
    1) WotC would make it say "as a 2/2 creature" after "Return them to the battlefield under your control face down". But if you say face down permanents are always 2/2 creatures, then it's fine.
    2)Opponents can know which concealed creatures are which, because they can see your movement and remember which face down cards are which. Check out example cards I provided in my first comment. They say "exile them in a face-down pile, shuffle that pile ..." Maybe that's what you want to do.
  • @Tomigon
    Rules text from Wizards says that any face down permanents are automatically 2/2 creatures, which is why I didn't specify there.

And I definitely would say shuffle for more clarity, unfortunately I completely ran out of room on the card to add any more words! Also, unlike the graveyard, Wizards has yet to define a specific rule that says that the order of exile matters (because there were cards that relied on the graveyards order, but there aren't for exile), so the only real precedent is cards like Ghastly Conscription that have rulings that say that shuffling is specifically for disguise. It's just vague so the shuffle really should be there I just didn't have the room sorry
  • edited April 2019
    @Tomigon guess I'll change the wording
    edit: fixed!
  • @Tomigon Thanks a lot!
  • edited April 2019
  • edited April 2019
    Revised!

Cache is a mechanic by @fabiocbinbutter:
    [To cache a card] (Exile it face down. You may look at it at any time. You may draw from your cache instead of from your library.)

Question: Would it be better to do this -
    Cache N (Exile the top N cards of your library face down.You may look at it at any time. You may draw from your cache instead of from your library.)

Related rules text:
    To cache a card means to exile it face-down as cached. Players may look at any cached cards they own at any time. If a player would draw a card and they own any cached cards in the exile zone, they may instead choose one of those cards and draw that card instead of drawing from the top of their library.

Much Change Has Been Taking Place

Here's a related walker among other things.
  • edited April 2019
    Revised!
  • edited April 2019
    -BANISHED-
  • edited April 2019
    Pulled this card from the contest.
  • edited April 2019
    @Faiths_Guide
    Oh.. I discussed with @fabiocbinbutter a lot about his cache mechanic. He never agreed with me, but the problems of the original are-
    1) No matter how many cards you cached, if you don't shuffle them, opponents can take notes and remember which face-down cards are what.
    2) You can add cards you don't own to your hand.
    3) "draw from your cache" sounds weird, and it needs related rules text that doesn't fit in cards.

So I made my version of cache.

Cache ___. (Exile it face down, then shuffle all cards you cached in a face-down pile. Cached cards gain "The player who cached this card may look at it and choose to put it on top of its owner's library any time.")

I know giving abilities to exiled face-down cards are weird, but cards like Delay give an ability(suspend) to exiled card, so I think it works.

@sorinjace
    But that card doesn't interact with the exiled cards.. Then why the exiled cards need to be face-down?
  • edited April 2019
    Deleted.
  • edited April 2019
    EDIT: Ok nevermind.
  • edited April 2019
    @Tomigon they are face down to count in your contest. Is there a rule they have to do something to be exiled face down and not face up that I missed or something?

I edited it. Nevermind. I'm pulling this card from the contest.

"Back to the 'ol drawing board..." - Wile E. Coyote
  • edited April 2019
    @sorinjace
    Yeah, that card didn't break any rules, but it just didn't have the point of exiling cards face down: Face-down cards should be like your 2nd hand/library(1st example card), smoke bomb that confuses your opponents(2nd example card), or some kind of secret weapons(3rd example card).
  • edited April 2019
    Deleted.
  • edited April 2019
    EDIT: Ok card fixed.

• went even crazier with this one someone stop me

• Not that good but since I made something I'll share It:
  • @Tomigon
    @ningyounk and I are reworking the Cache mechanic. Wording and function along with a reminder token card are in the works.

I don’t think you’d ever be able to add cards you don’t own to your hand? Maybe I’ll have to check back with you on that eventually.

He burns through a lot of books, but eventually finds what he's looking for.
This discussion has been closed.