The Arthurian Legend Challenge — *Circuit Challenge*

Welcome to the Arthurian Legend Challenge!

In this contest, your task is to design cards that would appear in a top-down set based on Arthurian Legend.

Contest Rules
1. No joke cards.
2. Old and new cards are allowed.
3. A maximum of 3 cards may be submitted.
4. Each entry must fit within the flavor of Arthurian Legend (See below)
5. No planeswalkers may be submitted.
6. Each entry should be appropriate for printing in a standard legal set from a play design perspective.
7. A maximum of 1 legendary card per Cardsmith.

Arthurian Legend Flavor
Here are some examples of common tropes:
-King Arthur
-Excalibur
-Merlin
-Mythical beasts and monsters
-Knights
-Quests
-Camelot
-Peasants
-Intrigue
-Sword in the Stone
-Destiny
*Don't limit yourself to just these...there are many, many more!

Judging Criteria
Each entry will be judged out of 100 points by the following criteria:

Templating: 10
Rarity: 10
Flavor: 20
Card Design: 30
Play Design: 30

Prizes
1st: 5 faves of your choice and 1 CP
2nd: 4 faves of your choice and 3/4 CP
3rd: 3 faves of your choice and 1/2 CP
4th: 2 faves of your choice and 1/4 CP
5th: 1 fave of your choice and 1/4 CP

Deadline
This contest will close for judging on Sunday, May 19th at 11:59 PM EST. No late entries will be accepted.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them.

Comments

• Did I hear Aurthurian Legend?
  • SO excited.
  • edited May 2019
    King Arthur's father, Uther Pendragon:
    The temporary Arthurian Sakashima.

Suffice it to say that Merlin's transformation of Uther resulted in the birth of King Arthur.
    Also, I did the research for this and designed the card in less than 1.5 hours after this challenge posted. I know virtually nothing of Arthurian Legend other than round tables and swords in stones. Disney adaptation anyone?
  • edited May 2019
    First Entry! This represents, not only the Lady gifting Excalibur, but also her fostering of Launcelot after his father's death. The second is from a series of Wards for the different factions. The third is a Quest!

imageimageimage

• Gauvain (or Gawain), nephew of Arthur and half-brother of Mordred, considered one of the best at the Round Table. One of the most gallant and noble of Arthur's knights, his strength increases as the sun rises in the sky.

Fun fact: can be cheated into play on turn 3 by the Lady of the Lake. Nice !
  • Sir Mordred, brother of Gauvain, most often characterized as Arthur's villainous bastard son, born of an incestuous relationship with his half-sister, the Queen of Orkney named either Anna, Orcades or Morgause.

An old card, based on metal band Blind Guardian's song named as "Mordred's Song." The song is about the fight which sir Mordred, king Arthur's only son, had with his father. Mordred and Arthur both fatally wounded each other, but Arthur was taken to Avolon and healed, while Mordred was left to die. Mordred was raised by a witch, who told him that he must kill his father. The song is from Mordred's perspective. Here's the link if you're interested:
  • @pstmdrn
    Only one legend!
  • @faiths_guide still narrowing it down. Leaning towards lady of the lake.
  • edited May 2019
    Here. The Dark Saber from Fate series (a.k.a. female, inverted King Arthur).

• This contest is now a Circuit Challenge!
  • edited May 2019
    Card changed.

• Here is a top down lady of the lake to get your creative juices flowing:

• @bnew07 & @Animist
    Does "monarch" work with rule (6.)?
  • @Faiths_Guide

I guess it depends on whether WotC have a rule that Monarch can't apply to standard. Perhaps an Arthurian set would be a good place to try the mechanic in standard?
  • @Faiths_Guide @Animist

Nothing technically precludes the Monarch from being a standard legal mechanic (it was originally in the Ixalan block design file before conspiracy snapped it up), so it is allowed.
  • @bnew07 & @Animist
    Cool, I was hoping it would be!
  • @faiths_guide I changed it to a quest.
  • edited May 2019

Mordred, bastard son of Aurthur, a part of Morgan Le Fay's plan to bring him down. Mordred divided the king and Lancelot, turning them against each other. (I don't know who did the art, but I found it on Devianart.com)
  • @Crabbycabbage With all due respect, you might want to use "Holy Grail" rather than "Cup of Christ" there.
  • @Yururu, With all due respect, thats up to me. Also, it sounds really cool lol

The one and only. She has so many powers I couldn't decide which one to go for so I went for her "healer" dark side which seemed more interesting than a necromancer.
  • @Bowler218, while I do love Monty Python references, I don't think that the Knights who say Ni are part of original Arthurian Legend...
  • 2nd entry:

This card's abilities have many references to the Arthurian legend. The 12 quest counters refer to the knights of the round table. In some stories there are only 12 of them. The Holy Grail provides happiness, eternal youth, and/or sustenance in infinite abundance to the worthy (legendary), and the "win the game" requirement is a reference to the three knights who achieved the Grail: Sir Galahad, Sir Bors, and Sir Percival.
  • edited May 2019
    Entry Number one.
    Hope this is what your looking for.

• Here’s another one to get everyone thinking:
  • @Ranshi922
    Well, it should work, it's based off of Arthurian legend.
This discussion has been closed.