[RESULTS] Pack and Play: The HALF-Great Designer Search 3 — Challenge 6

Comments

• @Faiths_Guide @Ranshi922
    Nymphs are directly inspired by greek/roman mythology so they would work for any set of the Theros block yes ^^
  • Could I have Amonkhet please?
  • Thanks @ningyounk !
    Before I forget, I'm going to claim Aether Revolt.
  • I won't join this one.
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk Can I have Guilds of Ravnica?
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk So we have to include all the card types (creature, instant, sorcery, enchant, artifact, and/maybe 'walker) too?
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk EDIT: May I claim Fate Reforged?
  • @sanjaya666
    You don't have to, it's your choice based on the plane you've chosen. I don't think you can skip creatures, instant and/or sorceries but for the rest use your best judgement for what would make the best entry. It will be considered a bit better if you vary your card types, but in an 8-card pack it's totally believable if you didn't get any artifact, or land, or planeswalker for instance.
  • I am including an old card to include in one of the draft archetypes. I may have taken "archetype" a little too literally.
    (It being multicolored while the original archetypes being mono isn't a problem, right?)
  • @Ranshi922
    No it isn't a problem, you can take your own spin on things. If I see a card like this, I'm going to assume there's a whole cycle in the set, which might have replaced the original one.
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk

So, I'm jusst gonna put them here before I'm getting more headaches, boss.

The commons:

image image image image

And for the constraint number 1:

The uncommons:

- | | -

For the restriction number 2.

- | | -

For the constraint number 3, a flying zombie dragon with madness that is also a boardwipe. The rest you can think about it by yourself.

The rare :

Can also valid for the constraint number 2.

EDIT: Changed some of my entries.
  • @sanjaya666
    I'm afraid Liliana is not from Innistrad though, for the purpose of constraint number one, she's born on Dominaria. I realise the constraint may not have been clear enough, sorry about that :/ The point is to prevent you from using planeswalkers from other planes so you have to design for a character that's really about your plane, not a Gatewatch member that just appeared in the story or something like that.

Would that be more clear:

DISCLAIMER: CLARIFICATION OF CONSTRAINT #1
    • I want a card with the name of a character born on the chosen plane in its title.
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk Fine, gotta change that quick.

EDIT: OK I changed some of my cards.
  • @ningyounk, am I allowed to make a thing of a planeswalker canonically dead? (Xenagos died in BTG but I thought of a good idea for him)
  • edited May 2019
    @Ranshi922
    Your card should make sense in the set it's supposed to be, so if you make a Xenagos card it should fit within the lore of your set. In the case of Xenagos, in Born of the Gods he just became the God of Revels, so he's an available character but remember he's part of a cycle so that comes with a number of restrictions. Basically, ask yourself the question: "If I were in the development team of Born of the Gods and I just presented this card for the set, would it make sense?" If you have a good idea but it doesn't fit exactly the lore, I'm sure there are alternative ways of doing something close.
  • @ningyounk, so no time shenanignary should be going on?
  • Wait, so since I'm doing battle for zendikar, I can use Nissa?!?!

I like this challenge.
  • edited May 2019
    Champions of Kamigawa
  • @Ranshi922
    Well nothing that would go against the lore of the set, your goal is to design as if the cards were going directly into that set ^^
  • There they are, Champion of Kamigawa doesn't have any multicolored card, so, as the challenge is to add them to the set and keep it as it is, I did this, most of them have refferences to other cards in the same expansion.

Common 1: White Enchantment

Common 2: Black Creature

Common 3: Blue Sorcery

Common 4: White Instant

Common 5:

Uncommon 1: Green Instant

Uncommon 2: Colorless Artifact Equipment

Rare:

• Goootcha...
  • May I have Magic Origins?
  • edited May 2019
    @pstmdrn
    Hi! Unfortunately, Magic Origins is not a valid choice :/ You need to select a Modern-legal black-bordered Magic expansion set and Magic Origins is a core set (so not an expansion set). The reason this rule is there is that Core sets are simpler and often don't have more than one non-evergreen mechanic so they're not as difficult to design for as expansion sets ;)

If you're unsure, you can find a list of all valid expansion sets here: LINK. Remember the Modern-legal rule as well (the first expansion set to be Modern-legal is Mirrodin).
  • Sorry, I didn't read the expansion part, just modern legal part! New choice soon.
  • edited May 2019
    FATE REFORGED

The Commons:

The Uncommoms

The Rare

I thought it would be cool to cast manifested instants and sorceries. I feel it fits the Jeskai pretty well.
  • @shadow123
    Heads up, you used a lot of existing card art.
  • @Faiths_Guide Really? I didn’t know... If you can tell me which cards, I’ll change them immediately. Thanks for telling me!
  • @shadow123
    Note that it's not 100% forbidden to use existing illustrations (especially if you need to show something very specific to MTG lore like a character), but it's usually better to avoid it if you can ^^

Here are the two illustrations that I recognised myself, I think the other ones are fine:

image image

• edited May 2019
    @ningyounk Thanks! I’ll edit the cards now.
  • edited May 2019
    Before I reveal my entry, a fun fact that I discovered about Amonkhet while completing my entry for the challenge:

Clerics are the default spellcasters. There are 15 clerics on Amonkhet and only 7 wizards. On most planes, when there's a generic spellcaster-type character, they tend to be a wizard. In fact, outside of their main two colours (red and blue) there are 173 wizards. Meanwhile, outside of their main two colours (white and black) there are only 40 clerics (and many of these are Amonkhet clerics). The reason clerics are default on Amonkhet is probably because it's a plane with a heavy religious element.

This card fits into two Amonkhet draft archetypes. It works with the tribal zombies in white black and it works with black green -1/-1 counter matters, especially the cards that can remove them. Flavour-wise, this is an initiate who's dipped into a number of taboo disciplines to supplement his powers and improve his chance in the trials (the curse of wandering is a handy tool for the lazy necromancer).
    This card references a subtype unique to Amonkhet: the Cartouche! I fell in love with the art when I saw it, but realised that the character depicted (Thoth, who looks like some of the amonkhet aven) has no wings. Quickly, I made that part of the card's story (and yes, I know, the ibis headed aven are usually blue. This card was originally blue, but saw a last minute change to white).
    There's already a four mana draw two in Amonkhet- Hieroglyphic Illumination. However, Amonkhet is a notoriously slow and controlling limited format thanks to embalm and cycling, so a second control card like this won't go amiss. The value of Hieroglyphic Illumination its versatility- it can be cycled away if needed. This card sacrifices that for some useful card-filtering and some potential 'virtual' card advantage by dropping embalm creatures into the yard.
    Half expensive tormenting voice, half dangerous wager. Plays into red black's minor 'heckbent' theme in Amonkhet, which is based around emptying your hand to one or fewer cards. That was a very cool theme, but felt under-represented among the cards. The card goes well with embalm, though it's not in the right colours.
    This one was hard to balance, as deathtouch is quite strong in limited, but those snake tokens really were the most appropriate. It ended up being a bit of a pushed common, but that's alright- green's commons in the set are noted for not being overly exciting, so this is a little spice to push it back into the game.
    This attempts to solve a general problem with the set. This is the challenge I found the hardest, since the problems Mark Rosewater identified in his state of design article are tied to the mechanics included in the set, and I couldn't create any new mechanics. This card aims to solve the problem of a lack of synergy by bridging the gap between cycling and embalm- using one as an enabler for the other. Obviously, a single uncommon can't solve the problem, but it tries. This also has the Embalmer's Tools ability. I played around with that card and thought it was cool, so thought I'd add more utility by making it coloured and adding a new bit of functionality.
    Not really much to say about this one.
    This is for the first challenge - referencing Neheb. Amonkhet has a tiny amount of minotaur tribal, but I thought I'd add a little more. This card has a little bit of self-dissonance, which creates interesting choices for the player to make. There is some precedent for red getting must be blocked if able in hinterland scourge and inescapable brute, so I thought it was an appropriate bend for a rare.
This discussion has been closed.