[RESULTS] Pack and Play: The HALF-Great Designer Search 3 — Challenge 6

Comments

• @shadow123
    Looks like you fixed all of them (I think you had at least 4 in your original post).
  • @Faiths_Guide Yeah. I started to look more carefully and I found most of them. Thanks for telling me!
  • edited May 2019
    Question: Are you allowed to create new tokens not originally in your set? Someone might already have asked this, but I thought I'd check. (I want one of my cards to make a red Minotaur token).
  • edited May 2019
    @Undead
    New tokens are possible, but they should make sense in the set. For instance, if the token is the same size and colour as another token from the same set, it would be less likely.
  • Understood. Thanks.
  • @sanjaya666
    Hey, I was re-reading your entry and realised I missed something really important, you have three uncommon cards instead of the two required x) Your entry is 9 cards, not 8! Can you remove an uncommon please? ^^
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk Ah, sorry about that. :))

EDIT: Okay I fixed that.
  • edited May 2019
    Surrak's Grizzly (Constraint 1)
    In base KTK, there were no common green Ferocious creatures. Ferocious creatures must have base power 3 or less, which reduces design space. FRF had 2, both of which were well designed. The other issue at common is that the Ferocious effect had to be one-shot to avoid memory issues. This card's effect on a 2/2 is typically done at 2G, so Ferocious gives you an undercosted effect. Also, it gives value to a 2/2 in the late game which is important in KTK since games often go long and 2/2s have reduced value due to morph. Finally, when you use this to push through some damage, it will feel ‘savage’, evoking the Temur dragon aspect.

Sultai Ambassador (Constraint 4)
    I envision this card as part of a common cycle of creatures that encourage drafting a single clan by caring about the two other clan colors. Each would align to the philosophical center of the clan rather than its color-center since KTK clans are not philosophically centered in the common enemy color. This card checks on ETB to eliminate any memory burden and has several cool features (as would other members of the cycle): 1) effects are synergistic. 2) effects overlap in the color of the creature and the color of the referenced permanent (like hybrid). 3) the enemy color effect is stronger, making it playable in the other clan that shares that enemy pair. 4) A common naming convention including the clan name to connect the clan to its colors. 5) Supports the clan mechanic. This card (and cycle) contribute to encouraging 3 color play without enabling 5 color soup, one problem the set had.

Chillwind Yeti (Constraint 3)
    Typically, Hexproof at common can cause problems (Jade Guardian in XLN),but at 6 mana it shouldn’t be problematic, particularly with KTK’s lack of auras/equipment. I intend this to be a common cycle of enemy color morphs that are playable in two clans. It enables Ferocious in Temur particularly well because it is hard to remove, but is also a fine morph for Sultai and plays well in the Trail of Mystery/Secret Plans archetype. Also, the ‘gotcha’ aspect of surprise hexproof is reduced in this set because of morph. If you aim a conditional removal spell at a morph into 5 open mana, it is unlikely to be effective since the morph could be anything so that fact reduces the feel bads of a card like this to a minimum.

War-Name Worthy
    Of RBW, only W got a common combat trick in KTK. I think red would have benefitted from one, hence this card. Given the prevalence of prowess and defiant strike already existing, the card wants to be 2 mana and increase power by no more than 2 (to avoid being too strong with prowess), not cantrip, and care about attacking specifically to bolster mardu more than Jeskai. Where I landed was: 1) square stat boost to reduce stacked buff math and tracking with prowess. 2) trample to force through damage. 3) Rummaging to give mardu card flow. and 4) combat damage delayed trigger to make the trample relevant even if the blocker absorbs damage. Because combat damage resolves right after this card is cast, the memory burden is minimal. This card helps combat flood in Mardu and force through damage. Also, it fits the flavor of earning a war-name: you prove yourself in battle (deal combat damage), and when you do you gain a new name (rummage).

Rakshasa's Price (Constraint 2)
    Rite of the Serpent in base KTK always felt clunky and a necessary evil since you needed a destroy effect in black and it was the only unconditional one. To improve it, I made an unconditional removal spell at an aggressive rate but a restrictive mana cost (double color in a 3-color set) with a downside. Picking your own poison felt like classic ruthless Sultai, and the flavor of the Rakshasa’s payment being the torturous choice is perfect. The fact that Rakshasa wouldn’t bargain with each other is reflected in the non-Demon clause. I chose Demon rather than Cat Demon for both elegance and the fact that a vast majority of Demons in KTK are Rakshasa.

Dauntless Stampeder (Constraint 3)
    Daunt (WOTC slang for "can’t be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less") had not yet appeared on a card when KTK released. This ability would be much more relevant in a set full of 2/2 morphs. That makes it perfect for an “outlast lord” (likely replacing Tuskguard Captain). Abzan has problems with board stalls and this can help break through if you support it with other counters matter cards. On its own, it is quite strong but not oppressive. All KTK common creatures had 2 mana outlast costs and all uncommons had 1 mana costs, so I chose to adhere to that trend. This is positioned as a 3 mana 3/2 so that it can enable ferocious early in the game with one outlast activation and once outlasted can’t be double blocked by 2 morphs. I think this is the perfect use of new design technology in an older set.

Enduring Formation (Constraint 4)
    This card represents another reward for playing a single clan. You can have an overcosted effect at 5 mana in monocolor or an undercosted effect at 3 mana in tri-color. The beauty of this cycle is that it increases the rewards of playing a single clan (like the CCDD uncommons in GRN/RNA) without actually increasing the as-fan of 3-color cards. This card represents a cycle of cards with the “DRAGON ASPECT" Formation naming convention that affect all of your creatures and synergize with that clan mechanic. In this case, putting a counter on each creature without one flavorfully conveys the strong bolstering the weak. Together, they can endure anything, hence the indestructible. Although this card is technically anti-synergistic with outlast itself, it is very strong with the outlast lords which are the real payoffs.

Cunning Ultimatum
    Wedge ultimatums are the ultimate rewards for strict 3-color clan play, and although they won’t show up in limited much, they push that theme in the mind of the audience just by existing. The naming convention for this cycle would be “DRAGON ASPECT” Ultimatum and each card would feel like the pinnacle of that dragon aspect. For this card, it lets you go nuts with prowess in a single turn. It is worded such that only the spells in your hand as this resolves are free. Any cards drawn later are not, preventing this from causing free cantrip chains. I think this card will make the caster feel cunning by building their deck,sculpting their hand, and timing the casting of this card in such a way that it likely wins the turn it is cast.
  • @bnew07 I just want to let you know that your art for War Name Worthy is Art from the card Zurgo Helmsmasher.
  • @shadow123 actually it is not but it definitely looks similar
  • REMINDER: 1 WEEK BEFORE DEADLINE
  • @shadow123
    Just realised you had the same problem as sanjaya666 xD You have three uncommons instead of two, would you mind removing one from your entry? ^^
  • @sanjaya666 & @bnew07
    If figured I also should warn you two since you both made the same mistake by misreading the constraint #2. Both DeadWood Druid // It That Lurks the Wood and Sultai Ambassador are a type combination that is specific to their respective set (Eldrazi Horror & Cat Demon) but the constraint is to have that type appear in the rules box, not the type box. Basically, the card must mechanically care about the subtype, not just be it.
  • @ningyounk Ah alright, gotta change it then.
  • @ningyounk

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. One question, the “unique” creature types in KTK are only really Hound, Naga, Efreet, and Cat Demon, none of which the set mechanically cares about. The only subtypes that are mechanically cared about are warriors and maybe bears. Do I have to choose one of the first four even if it doesn’t fit with the set?
  • edited May 2019
    Can I claim Ravnica Allegiance? Also, when is the deadline for this?
    EDIT: It says May 26 in the rules, nevermind.
  • @ningyounk Okay, changed the card to a much more simpler one. That works right?
  • edited May 2019
    @sanjaya666
    Yeap, the card interacting with non-Eldrazi creatures checks the box ^^

@bnew07
    It does have to care about a unique type like Hound, Naga, Efreet or Cat Demon even if the set doesn't have a tribal theme around it. The point is to make you design cards that you wouldn't have otherwise. I won't call you out for caring about a subtype that the set doesn't though, as it's a constraint added by the challenge itself, but there are more or less subtle ways to do it and you can validate that constraint with various levels of elegance ^^
    Note that the card doesn't have to be a creature tribal card per se, it could be a card that hates against the subtype, or it could even use noncreature subtypes like Planeswalker subtypes.

Here's an example of card that cares about a "random" subtype in its set:

@Je_Suis_Oluwa
    You got it ^^
  • edited May 2019
    @ningyounk Ok I believe I forgot about the color restriction. Gotta change that then.
  • @ningyounk sure. I’ll do it now! Thanks for telling me.
  • @ningyounk

Thanks for the clarification, I updated Rakshasa's Price to meet the criteria.
  • @ningyounk Okay, finally fixed the colors. Done.
  • Oof... only a week left...
  • edited May 2019
    OK, here we go. About my cards in general: sorry about the art quality on many of these. They're serious cards, so please don't judge them by unserious art boxes. Thanks. Also, I've tried to utilize lenticular design (simple abilities that work in complex ways) and adhere to Wizards' new policy of making exciting commons.
    imageimage
    Feisty Officer: One of my biggest problems with Ravnica Allegiance is that there isn't really a good aggro strategy. Feisty Officer would change that, by providing a turn-1 2/1 to smash face. The whenever-blocked ability is the kind of small upside appropriate on a 2/1 for W these days, but it also helps deal with Faerie Duelist, a main reason why cards like Trained Caracal aren't viable right now. If this was in the set, it would replace Twilight Panther as the set's white one-drop, and Tenth District Veteran would be given a black activated ability.
    Duet for the Scourge Diva: There isn't much to say about this card, to be honest. I guess Grotesque Demise was a bit good and I wanted to make the black premium removal spell a bit less impressive. It's possible this should be uncommon, but I feel like it's simple enough to be common and doesn't affect the board too much...maybe it does. Not super sure. This would replace Grotesque Demise as one of the black common removal cards. (Note: this is not me saying, I think Shallow is a scourge, but it was just good duet art. It's a bit overplayed and that's all.)
    imageimage
    Ready Elves: This card might replace Incubation Druid in some decklists for its ability to cast spells on your turn and your opponents'. It's also good in the type of deck that wants Wilderness Reclamation (but not the cheaty Nexus of Fate ones.) In limited, this is basically a worse Druid of the Cowl, so still very playable. This would replace Territorial Boar as a green two-drop that likes expensive creatures.
    Smashwolf: Watchwolf was many years ago. Zhur-Taa Goblin proves this is fine. The reason I have this here instead of Zhur-Taa Goblin is because Gruul needs a boost in Limited, and it's a nice clean design without any keywords like bloodriot. This would replace Rubblebelt Runner (and Zhur-Taa Gob would be replaced with another card).
    imageimage
    Rakdos Hellhound: This is inspired a bit by Rix Maadi Hellhound, a card by bnew07 that won my Common Challenge. (https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rix-maadi-hellhound) However, I modified it a bit. First of all, it has spectacle for BR, giving it a bit more lenticular design. Most new players will assume that this is only a Rakdos card, however, it can be played in Gruul decks and agressive Orzhov decks as well. It sits back on defense while still furthering an aggressive gameplan. I would be content to play this in Limited all day. This would replace Footlight Fiend.
    Restraining Order: This is my cross-archetype card for Azorius and Simic. (I know I didn't have to have one, but I thought it might help me.) It taps down a creature, slowing the opponent down to help their strategy. It also can reset the counters on a Sharktocrab or such, for the "I feel clever" moment. It says "nonland" only because Dark Depths. This would replace Code of Constraint.

Krenko's Lieutenant: This is my name-brand character's card. This also is tribal without being parasitic. (I know gobs aren't really Ravnica-only, but I didn't have to do the tribal requirement anyhow.) It's pretty strong, as four mana for a 3/3+1/1+2 damage on its own is not bad. It might even be more powerful than... (replaces Clamor Shaman)
    Whims of the Audience: I thought about doing a splashy mythic, but I really like this card on its own. It reflects the killing of the black and the spontaneity of the red. It could be a tournament card perhaps. I debated giving it Spectacle B/R instead of 1B/R but I think that's too strong. I don't just want it to be worse Terminate. I debated this in hybrid as well, but I feel like it's close enough to Diabolic Edict to be black and random enough to be red.

If anyone has any feedback before the deadline, I may incorporate it. Is this a pack you'd be happy to open? I hope y'all likey.
  • Sorry I'm late! If the contest is still going, I'd love to choose Rivals of Ixalan.
  • edited May 2019
    I'm not going to give much description on my cards, but here they are!

*Heliod's name is in the title.
    *A distinct creature type. It's a Greek myth that WotC has designed a few of, but they *skipped Theros!
    *Fits into three major draft archetypes: G/W Heroic, W/U Heroic, and W/B Control.
    *Tries to fix the problem with Theros: MaRO said "'enchantment matters' was delivered too late in the block."

*An actual Greek mythological creature, though not a unique type.
    *Fits into two major draft archetypes: G/W Heroic and R/G Monsters. Does it do enough to strengthen them?
    *Seems pretty good in the Theros draft environment.

*A distinct creature type that references itself in its rules text.

*Fits into major draft archetype "W/U Heroic" and anything else running blue and enchantments.
    *Tries to fix the problem with Theros: MaRO said "'enchantment matters' was delivered too late in the block."

Basically a situational super cool instant:
    {1}{b}
    As an additional cost, sac a dude.
    Destroy target creature.
    Draw a card.

*A Hyleoroi is a Greek nymph of the woods. Each of the other nymph names of Theros has similar connotation.
    *Fits into a major draft archetypes: G/W Heroic. Really shines alongside bestow.

*A Minotaur is a distinct Greek mythology creature type.
    *Fits into two major draft archetypes: R/G Monsters and Minotaurs.
    *Red was underwhelming in the Theros draft environment, but cost reduction is pretty sweet.

Ok, so the dream would be to stick this guy on a monstrous Hundred-Handed One, but the likelihood is admittedly low. However, a 3/8 vigilance with this ability would still be very good, so you should try to draft both :P

*Fits into major draft archetype "W/U Heroic" and anything else running blue and enchantments.
    *WotC made 3 out of 5 mono colored rare bestow creatures, this makes 4/5. I wonder what the red one would be?
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks to @DomriKade for wording tweaks on Kid and Hyleoroi.
  • REMINDER: 1 DAY BEFORE DEADLINE
This discussion has been closed.