Your MTG Collection Highlights

Comments

• Nvmd, I realized i have pretty good
  • I had a friend give me two Kaladesh booster packs for my birthday once. I puled a masterpiece Aether Vial.
  • @FizzyGig

I'd say three Zendikar Fetches is pretty crazy given their prices
  • @Arceus8523 Yeah... I realize that now. Also, I should sell them since I never play them.
  • @FizzyGig
    Honestly, you aren't wrong. Invest in cards you'll actually play. At the beginning of this year I made my largest investment into a deck ever and got a Gaea's Cradle for my Rhys, the Redeemed EDH deck and I've played it and won games thanks to it so much that I completely considered it worthwhile and a good purchase, despite the outrageous price tag tied to it.
  • @Arceus8532 Funny thing is I didn't even buy them at like a bunch of money, I don't even know where I got them. Found them in my piles of bulk, maybe from an old draft or something
  • @FizzyGig

I remember when I cracked one of the Khans fetches and an Ugin's nexus in the same box early on as an MTG player and thought the fetch was garbage and the nexus was amazing.
  • I am glad I got a Cradle back when they were printed. I got a playset of a few of the original dual lands. I considered getting a savannah just because I don't have one and play so much Green/white as it's one of the cheaper duals. I play my cards as I build my share of commander decks so my older cards out of standard get to live on. I bought a Judge promo landlax for myself for my birthday last year. I had a bunch of store credit saved up, and said I am getting that. It's in a commander deck, though amusingly they reprinted that art on the battlebond version, and I opened a foil at the midnight release. Like well now I got two. (I had an OG landtax from 4th edition, but I wanted the new art.)

I sometimes look back thru my collection and don't realize cards are worth more than I'd guessed. I had some Ensnaring bridges and Metalworker just chilling in my extra cards. People are this card worth money, and like oh I got those. I mean I'd looked up the cost before ever trading, but it's stuff that just went up in value over time. I didn't collect it simply make money later. I am sure I'd probably come out ahead if I sold off all my cards but I am have no desire to part with any of it as of right now.
  • I have a primordial hydra and my friend has progenitus
  • edited December 2018
    I won 3 packs of Dominaria from the Warlock Contest. I got a mythic in the first I opened. It was Karn.
  • My most prized possession is a foil Teferi I pulled from a fatpack.
  • edited December 2018
    My most prized possessions are two box topper engineered explosives. And two ugin the spirit dragons.
  • I just got 1st in a UMA draft and got a topper Life From the Loam
  • My most prized mtg cards?
    Well for one my Liliana the last hope and my two foil risk factors.

Second, (go on and laugh if you will) my foil Hedrom Crawler and foil Skin Invasion.

My most prized deck is my Tymaret the Murder King EDH.

Some of my other prized cards are 5 of the 6 meld cards (I am missing Gisela, The Broken Blade and it is killing me!)
  • For my birthday on prerelease for kaladesh i pulled a masterpiece manavault. I immediately traded it for about $280 wirth of cards, mostly planeswalkers. I handed out so many planeswalkers to my friends that day. Lol

I got a foil tezzeret with 1 booster pack only in the core set 2019 tool kit, so the odds was slim there but it was fun.

I had an avacyn restored version of cavern of souls also and sold it off before it jumped in price to a card shop like an idiot... i still get razzed about even owning one by my friends in my playgroup lol.

I didnt look andsee if i already shared this earlier. If i did, sorry!
  • A couple actually, My foil Emrakul, promised end, which was my first card ever. My 72 Copies of shadowborn apostle, which I could sell for a good bit of moneys and my signed Liliana of the Veil. Pretty good stuff
  • @sorinjace I just looked at this thread and saw your friend was heading to Tennessee a few months ago? I live in TN!

As for my collection, I had a Jhoira deck that would use paradox engine to make an infinite number of wurmcoil engines. Now I don't have anything too nice since my group has kind of agreed to stay at low prices.
  • edited December 2018
    @brcien his names Alex hes going to dark horse institution ive never been there to visit but its pretty amazing from what Alex says. He tells me minimum wage is lower there in tennessee too, that sucks! But yeah we all miss him, hes supposed to visit us all (dechujoh64, aryanf, myself, temurgideon, murkknight5, jfoster90, etc....)when out visiting family so hope he gets time to. He rarely gets on here but his name on here is @Profaneprince. Maybe you guys can play edh commander? His deck is demon tribal monoblack i helped him build it. XD

Sounds like budget is your pricerange for your playgroup? Mine doesnt claim budget, we just are broke and play what we can get our hands on. Itd be great to play you sometime, weve played @Ranshi922 over video on phone already its pretty fun when Ranshis not stopping my attacks. But it is fun to watch him beat up temurgideons warrior deck lol!
  • @sorinjace that was one time I actually played it! But if you think about it, that makes my streak against it undefeated. Just wait till my deck beats your dreaded mill deck! >XD
  • A few years ago on a whim I got two packs of Eldritch Moon. The first one had Liliana, the Last Hope. The second one had Gisela, the Broken Blade. So that was pretty fun.

As a sidenote, it's frustrating to pull your crazy awesome mythic rare Gisela and learn you need another mythic to make it work at its full potential.

Also as another sidenote, I did trade away both Lili and Gisela to my friends each for a large pile of rares. They wanted it more than I did, and I knew that would make me happier.
  • The best cards I have are probably The Chain Veil $(29.99) Sliver Hivelord ($27.99) and Lilliana Vess for 10 dollars.
  • Some of my favorite cards in my collection are my foreign language cards.
    Lord of Scatterskull Pass Spanish Foil Promo
    Chinese (I believe) Goblin Game
    Scion of Vita-Ghazi Chinese Simplified
    Russian Plasm Capture
    Timeshifted Lightning Angel in Spanish
    Grindclock in Russian
    Dragonshift in Spanish
    Spanish Blood Tyrant
    Italian Leyline of Lifeforce
    Russian Nissa's Revelation
    Japanese Decimator Web
    Korean Sword of the Animist
    Chinese Simplified Nantuko Shade
    Japanese Redirect
    And my two favorites of these are:
    French Glorious Anthem from 8th edition (aka white border)
    German Promo Foil Maze's End with date stamp

A couple other favorite cards of mine
    The first mythic (possibly the first pack I opened) was Shadowborn Demon, which I happily still have.
    Treiskaidekaphobia is one of my all-time favorite magic cards, completely sold me on SOI, and I bought a box of it and thankfully opened it. Still don't own thirteen of them though...
    What I might own thirteen copies of though is Atarka, World Render. I ended up getting so many of the promo ones because I would get the packs at Walmart that had two booster packs pretty much any time I saw a return to ravnica block pack inside. Still haven't opened a shockland.
    I also have a bunch of the red chaos cards (the goblin game I have is very intentional).
    I think I also have a Mana Tithe, which I just love because of course.
  • My MTGO collection tanked given the recent price drops. It's down to around $2,000 buylist value. It's roughly everything you need to play most decks in legacy and modern along with lots of commander stuff.

My paper collection is a lot more extensive and liquid. I have four modern decks (GDS, rakdos burn, mono green devotion, and bogles) and two legacy decks (GB nic fit and the parts for miracles/stoneblade/D&T).

My personal favorite card is Serra Avatar. I own one of each version of it and have three custom alters of it from JB Alterz. Some other things I like to collect are Mana Crypts (I have one of each printing/version) and artist proofs. I own all of the Chandler artist proofs that exist, all signed by Douglas Shuler. One has a sketch by him and one is altered by Joseph Meehan (a more recent Magic artist) to look like his is in the kitchen from Friends. I have an Eldest Reborn artist proof with a sweet commissioned sketch on it as well as a foil Muldrotha proof with a sketch of Multani watering baby Muldrotha on the back of it.

In terms of art pieces, I have all 16 black-on-black SDCC planeswalkers framed. I also have two framed uncut sheets. One is foil SOI commons and the other is the Zedruu commander precon deck signed by 20 different artists.

In terms of other value I have playsets of all of the dual lands NM (all revised white border), all of the fetches, shocks, etc. I have some oddball expensive cards like Living Plane and Raging River.

I have a pet pauper deck (list here) which is currently about $500 in value. All of the cards are foil (except when the don't exist) and their most expensive versions otherwise. Notable cards are 4x alpha Pestilence and 4x masterpiece Diabolic Edict and 3x foil Thorn of the Black Rose along with 1x OG Torment Chainer's Edict foil. The next step for the deck would be getting guru basics but at about $400 per plains and $450 per swamp, it's not an investment I'm making any time soon.

I also just took apart two commander decks to make two (temur clones and Tibor and Lumiya came apart to make UR copy spells and 4c animation). I have... 13, I think, current commander decks that range from $50 mardu fun stuff and $150 Homura suicide aggro to cEDH Meren and Xenagos decks.

Here's a link to pictures of some of the stuff
  • edited May 2019
    Prize cards that I got when I won FNM and tournaments are my favorites. I especially like Ajani Goldmane that I got in finals 2011.
    Technically that card wasn't a prize. Everyone who participated could get one, but preliminary stages were hard, and I'm really proud of the deck I was using(This deck- https://i.imgur.com/Y8ecQB5.png It may seem like a normal WU control, but it's very different from other popular WU control decks back then), so that Ajani means a lot.

I also love this monstrous pile of cards that I made with my friends.
    We pick cards randomly from that pile to play cube draft. No one can know what's in the cube, so it's fairer. There are a bunch of cards in it, but we care about the curve/balance of colors, costs, rarities, types, and synergies.
  • My Kaalia of the Vast EDH Deck that allows me to use 30 or so of my Angels. I'm a big MTG Angel guy, so having a deck that lets me actually use so many different ones is amazing.

I'll look through my collection later and see what individual cards I have that stand out as well.
  • My (brief) collection highlight was what I called, the "Lucky Week".

December 23, 2018: Leaving the LGS, I bought the last pack of Modern Master 2017, we opened it, Liliana of the Veil.

December 26, 2018: I sell Liliana of the Veil, then bought a loose Dominaria Pre-Release Kit from a random LGS on my way home, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria as foil promo.
  • I got a near mint Doubling Season for free today.
  • In my first pack I got an Nicol Bolas God pharaoh and Nicol Bolas Dragon god.
This discussion has been closed.