Enchantment Creature Challenge [CHALLENGE CLOSED]

Comments

• @Lowlander

Nyxseer

Makes a good 1-drop as a 1/3, maybe {1}{g} though. Shrug.

9/10: Good choice on the art.
    0/10: No flavor text (feel free to @ me here and say what it would be, or edit the card and @ me about that if you'd like to!)
    10/10: This could work very well in an RG ramp deck with cards like Barbarian Ring, Manabarbs, etc. to "buff" those. I didn't just Google "mtg lands that deal damage" or anything.

Overall: 19/30

Eidolon of the Grove

The card has a good way of interacting with its first ability directly, so that's a thing. It also makes nonrandom discarding a bit less of a useful way to wear on your opponent (that is, if they have Eidolon under their control).

9/10: Huzzah, nice choice here.
    0/10: No flavor text (feel free to @ me here and say what it would be, or edit the card and @ me about that if you'd like to!)
    10/10: Good design! I don't think I've ever really played ramp, but I imagine this would play very well in a ramp deck.

Overall: 19/30

Nyxshaper

I'm not too sure mechanic-wise, so maybe you or someone else could provide some insight into this:

If you choose the first one, would creatures enter as enchantments, therefore triggering constellations?

10/10: Very interesting for some reason. Really not sure why it intrigues me so much.
    10/10: Hehe constellations
    10/10: Simple way of supporting constellations in a deck and making them much more useful than they already are.

Overall: 30/30

• edited May 2019
    @Dom_Rocks

Everlasting Doubt

Simple lil' enchantment similar to Lawmage's Binding and Pacifism, but its ability to return to your hand is nice.

8/10: I've seen that art used a lot on here. 'tis nice.
    6/10: A simple lil' enchantment, though its inability to be casted as anything other than an aura sort of renders the card not that useful as an enchantment creature. I mean, why would you choose to keep a 1/1 creature with no abilities as opposed to returning it to your hand? The fact that "or" runs off the card just a little bit u p s e t s m e g r e a t l y.

Overall: 14/30

Everlasting Doubt (Edited)

8/10: I've seen that art used a lot on here. 'tis nice.
    10/10: Love both of the flavor texts, especially the 2nd.
    8/10: A simple lil' enchantment, though its inability to be casted as anything other than an aura sort of renders the card not that useful as an enchantment creature. I mean, why would you choose to keep a 1/1 creature with no abilities as opposed to returning it to your hand? The fact that "or" runs off the card just a little bit u p s e t s m e g r e a t l y.

Overall: 26/30
  • edited May 2019
    I'll be getting to yours in a bit @The-DM, and your last entry @ElMagici. In the meantime, @The-DM, could you provide links to the cards so I can favourite them if need be? c;

Thanks!

Also, I'm not worried about reusing art from actual cards as long as it's chosen because it suits the card. Thanks for pointing it out though!
  • @SammySammyson, FLAVOR TEXT:

"You are nothing, you did something wrong, you have doubts on this you cannot think, you are nothing"

OR

"It keeps going it my head, the battlefield, everything, shades" - Kai, Solider two of thirty thousand.

• @SammySammyson, the art is used a lot, but it fits the flavor, and I know that the fact that it's basically JUST an enchantment, but it makes sense when you see what Set I made for it.
  • Entry #1, old card:

• @SammySammyson Yes, they'd enter as enchants and thus would trigger Constellation :P

Btw, Nyxseer would also make attacking manlands heal you.
  • edited May 2019
    old card

• I've got to work on a paper when I get home from school, but I'll try and get a few more entries scored during my study hall today :D
  • edited May 2019
    The third En. creature:

Sagittarius, Reincarnated

Unstoppable by Lastjustice

Also entered in the Mechanix Challenge (http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4453/mechanix-challenge-39-circuit-challenge#latest) and the Four Colored Card Challenge (http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4482/the-rare-four-color-cards#latest).
  • edited May 2019
    @The-DM

As a note, everything I'm saying could be wrong or subjective. I'm just hoping to give my reasoning for the scores I gave in as much detail as possible.

Arimilda, Peace of Endwood

I think the idea here is decent and it could make a great card with some refining, but I have a few overall concerns with the card:

1. Awaken is already a keyword ability. "Awaken N—[cost]” means “You may pay [cost] rather than pay this spell’s mana cost as you cast this spell” and “If this spell’s awaken cost was paid, put N +1/+1 counters on target land you control. That land becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste. It’s still a land." [CR 702.112a]
    2. With your awaken keyword, I think that will pose huge problems unless you specify that nontoken creatures have awaken 1. Otherwise...well...you'll keep making more 2/2 green Druid creatures when any of them die...and the more that die, the more you'll make...over and over...because each of those new Druids has that ability. Perhaps specifying nontoken creatures might help (though it can still create an outrageous number of tokens), or changing the mechanic so that Awaken N means that when this creature dies, create N 2/2 green Druid creature tokens. A possible name for the keyword could be "rebirth," sort of making afterlife, only in green.
    3. Just a small note, the second ability, I do believe, should say "Whenever a Beast you control dies..."

10/10: Great art!
    8/10: Cute and simple flavor text.
    3/10: Feel free to @ me and correct me if I'm wrong, but the card seems horribly broken

Overall: 21/30

To Home Forever

Not going to spend much time on this since it isn't a legitimate entry, but I like the card. I don't know if it will play well or not because it will be absolutely devastating to people running whatever colour(s) you exiled. Without haste or riot, it effectively disables the ability of an opponent to do just about anything unless they counter the spell or remove it. Similar to above, I think the idea is good, but as basically an ongoing board wipe that can be casted without risking your own plays...I dunno. I'm no Magic expert though.

Magg, Identity Thief

Just a little note, I don't think X is technically defined. Could be fixed by saying "...distribute X mask counters with...on any number of creatures, where X is the number of instant and sorcery spells you drew."

To avoid cheating, I do believe the card should say "Whenever you draw cards, you may reveal any number of instant and sorceries from among them. If you do...where X is the number of revealed cards."

Finally I don't believe counters can be interacted with like that, and the wording sort of implies that the counter, not the creature it's on, has that ability. I think you should put the mask counters on creatures, and then have Magg have an ability along the lines of:

'Creatures with mask counters on them have "Whenever this creature deals damage to a player, you may cast an instant or sorcery for {u}{b}.'"

10/10: Fantastic art choice!
    9/10: Great flavor text!
    7/10: I like the mechanic and the ability to cast spells like that is useful and, to me, balanced because of the fact that you need the creature to deal damage to a player. Though, the instant and sorcery interaction says Izzet to me as opposed to Dimir. In fact, its ability may fit even better by enabling a creature to more easily deal damage to players, as, you know, red is good at dealing damage directly.*shrug*

Overall: 26/30

Sagittarius, Reincarnated

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the half of the life gained thing needs to specify whether to round up or down. Not sure though.

Overall, I like the card (granting unstoppable 2 to all other creatures you control will be as useful as giving menace to all creatures you control, which is very). Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the card is just doing too much. It has a life-gain-triggered ability, haste, menace, can gain trample, unstoppable...again, maybe just me.

10/10: Awesome art decision
    0/10: No flavor text (feel free to @ me and tell me what you'd do for it)
    6/10: Good card I think, but a bit messy IMO -- but hey, we've all been there a few times. Or many. *points at self

Overall: 16/30
  • @ElMagici

Duchess of the Blossom

A simple card, and honestly, maybe a bit underpowered for a legendary 5-drop. I'm not a Magic expert by any means, though. The 4-color "restriction" (though, as I'm sure we all know, that doesn't mean a whole lot because eve 5-color decks are more than viable with the right mana base), is another thing that makes it seem underpowered to me. Again, not an expert or long-term player.

10/10: Awesome art choice, duh
    10/10: Great flavor text, though I would like to point out "plantingvegetables."
    8/10: This is for the same reason mentioned above.

Overall: 28/30
  • @Dom_Rocks editing the score now :D
  • @SammySammyson : Thanks for the feedback!
  • edited May 2019
    @The-DM no problem! I started this challenge to expand my knowledge of Magic, and to hopefully provide what limited constructive feedback I can give. :D
  • @SammySammyson on Sagittarius: Yeah, I was tired.
  • @SammySammyson on Magg: You see, I'm making a masked set that I want specifically as Dimir and Orzhov. Also, the art doesn't yell "IZZET!!!", if you know what I mean.
  • @SammySammyson on Arimilda: To me, she isn't.
  • edited May 2019
    @SammySammyson on To Home Forever: Yes, but it says "whenever a player casts a card of the same color", just to balance it out.

To Home Forever
  • edited May 2019
    @SammySammyson : What's your opinion on this card?

Mockery of the Masked
  • @The-DM

Magg: Yeah, the art definitely doesn't, but just the interaction seems a bit more Izzet to me. I actually intentionally avoided using "screams" (which I almost did) because that was inaccurate haha

Arimilda: Let me put it this way:

You cast her turn 5. You have a card A, B, and C on the battlefield (all of which have Awaken 1). An opponent attacks you, and you block with card B, which dies. You then create 3 2/2 Druids (card B's Awaken 1 would almost certainly trigger when it dies). Now, you have 5 creatures on the battlefield. In sequential turns, that could then become 9 easily, then 17 with ease...and so-forth by only requiring the death of one creature each of those turns, which you could even do yourself with the right spells haha

To Home Forever: I noticed that, but in a group of people, it'll be just as easy to avoid all colours in your deck. I dunno; it's just a thought, and would really require me playing with it to see. *shrug*
  • edited May 2019
    @The-DM

Mockery of the Masked seems like a good card. Easy to manipulate if you've dealt with your opponent's win condition before, so you can keep that number of counters on them. A fun control card, and the 6-drop seems fine because, I'd image, it could be very restrictive in the right circumstances, but also not at all if not used correctly.

As I've mentioned and want to make clear, I'm still fairly new to Magic, so don't take everything I say too seriously c;
  • also I just realised that the hyphen prevents me from properly @ mentioning you and that u p s e t s m e
  • edited May 2019
    Yeah. I can't change it either. I was going to remove the hyphen, BUT I CAN'T

Also, I've noticed you like shrugging a lot.
  • The first time I saw the art on Mockery of the Masked, I almost screamed, but then I said, "hey, that looks kind of cool."
  • Not to bother you, @SammySammyson , but what's your account name on MTG Cardsmith? I want to follow you. *Shrug*
  • @CrafterofTruths thanks for getting back to him for me haha
    *shrug*
This discussion has been closed.