Can I rant? Because Kamigawa was great.

edited July 2019 in Off-topic Chat
I watch the youtube series Pretty Deece, and an interesting video came up. titled:

"Actually, Kamigawa was great"

It talked about standard at the time of Champions of Kamigawa release, and basically to sum it up, Kamigawa did not make players quit because the set was bad, but because it could not deal with the Mirrodin block and Affinity.

So many people talk about how Kamigawa was a bad set, but it wasn't, it just bad credit because people quit because someone bringing their Homebrew deck could not beat Affinity, and Kamigawa didn't deal with problem.

Think about this, please.

Comments

• Long live Kamigawa!

• @TheSuturedHeartMan

hAmIgAwA jesus christ
  • But yeah, I never got the Kamigawa hate. I would love to see the moonfolk again, and Tamiyo would be a great character to explore when and if we come back.
  • Link to the Pretty Deece video:

• The only really big problem with Kamigawa was Wizards kneejerk reaction to underpower the whole block after they made such a powerful (and broken) block right before it.
  • Kamagawa was nearly a complete failure in terms of the creative team and the design team (though I’m not blaming the people behind it, they just tried several things that went south). MaRo has a pretty good podcast explaining why he considers it a failure that can be learnt from. From a designer’s perspective, he talks about some really good lessons.
  • edited July 2019
    @Red_Tower, that's the point, it wasn't a bad set flavour or play wise, it just could not keep up with Mirrodin Block and Affinty.

@Tigersol, well...

Kamigawa was great, there we're some things wrong with it, but we have to remember one thing. Magic was still taking baby steps and learning to read.

The legendary rule at the time SUCKED, and Kamigawa was trying to experiment.

You can't say a set was bad just because Affinty and Kamigawa just didn't have a contest about what can do better.

(And if you are STILL not convinced, then watch that video I linked earlier, then come back and tell me what you think)
  • Kamigawa's biggest failure in my eyes was bushido, one of the ultimate feel-bad mechanics.
  • @Lujikul I'd actually love to hear your thoughts on Bushido. I'm trying to use it in a custom set I'm working on and I'd like to know what you think are things that made it not work.
  • edited July 2019
    I wish they had chosen a different keyword for a bushido mechanic. The mechanic seems neat, but it's used by only Samurai creatures because of the name. Also "bushido(武士道)" is the code of honour and morals developed by samurai. I don't know why that pumps P/T during combat.
  • edited July 2019
    Again...

"Kamigawa was trying to experiment."

So Bushido didn't work well because it wasn't really done well.

But can you blame Kamigawa trying to experiment?
  • They gave the creative team too much power.
This discussion has been closed.