Lakas' Desolation

Comments

• edited July 2019
    @HeroKP I think we need a cycle of those lands! They're COOL dual lands that can make your mana base a bit more flexible. Though, the tap ability should be reminder text at the beginning like on other cards that have multiple land types.

({t}: Add {b}, {g}, or {u}.)

Might I suggest they be something like this:

"When Prospering Marshland enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, choose black, green, or blue. Prospering Marshland can't produce mana of the chosen color."

Provides some additional flexibility and decision-making, and enables it to function like a tap triland, but with a small drawback. Actually, maybe those could be their own kind of land cycle alongside yours! The Wizards should take some advice from you on new nonbasic lands! aaaaa! (You do also have a typo where yo say "choose [a] blue..." and don't forget about color combination order...then again, the Wizards are very inconsistent with three-colour orders, HHH.)
  • I may draw a map eventually, hmmmm
  • @KorandAngels would you mind if I used promote on some custom cards every once in a while? I do like the mechanic (you should also submit it to the custom mechanic encyclopedia if you haven't already).
  • edited July 2019
    @SammySammyson It would be a little too strong then. Gates are tapped bilands, and this is a tapped bi-out-of-triland, so it makes sense you lose life.

2 damage really isn't as much as you think it is.

But otherwise, thanks for the praise.

Also, for the order, I used WURBG, do UBG. Is that wrong? If so, why? I really hate the inconsistency with dem symbols!
  • @SammySammyson I have put it in the encyclopedia, and I would like you to use it if you want.
    Tin-Lon spends his time in a flooded cathedral on the northern edge of our territory. He uses the magical water as a base for various elixirs, many of which he gives to our troops.
  • @HeroKP Yeah I know 2 life isn't that much, but there are tap tri-lands for each set of three colours, so I was thinking releasing two cycles like that would be useful for commander.

Honestly, at first I thought that the way you did three-colour enemies was putting the common enemy first (i.e. green is the common enemy of blue and black, so it would be GUB, but if you look at actual MTG cards, it's ordered BGU.

No idea why! :D
  • @KorandAngels

Interesting card. Pumping out X/X tokens with f l y i n g every turn could really add up quickly. Dang.

For functional purposes, here are some suggestions (really only needed if you plan to use untap.in when those events roll around):

I think "Whenever a card enters a command zone..." would work better, since a spell doesn't ever enter a zone other than the stack. Also: "...untap another [target] creature you control." And that activation cost should be "{x}{2}, {t}: ..."
  • @Bowler218 how are yer gun bois coming along?
  • @SammySammyson

Oh. You're right then, I will change it
  • I’d like to join, although I can’t make cards right now
  • Well, the Daiari are starting to notice the desert creeping in, and are quickly mining the rest of the metal in the area while starting to pack up camp.
  • edited August 2019
    Far on the edge of Lakas, a small hut lies amid the scorching heat on a barren landscape. However, the hut holds more than a simple room, for it contains the Infinite Aethenaeum, a library for all knowledge in the multiverse. Its reach spans across multiple planes, providing limitless knowledge to those who find it. Only one person maintains the ever expanding library though. Once a curious wizard thirsty for knowledge herself, Assaya discovered the abandoned marvel and has took it upon herself to provide that knowledge to others. Just make sure to have your library card ready.

Leader:

The "Work Force":

Marvel:

Sorcery:

I'll continue to add cards at a later time.
  • We are WISH, the Widespread Interdimensional Shipping Hub. Think Amazon, but fantasy, and run by a genie.

• An overseer of some kind
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bhaman-head-of-wish
    Our genie leader, Bhaman, can provide anything. For a small fee. They are also the only living being in WISH.
    • An average citizen

We don't really have citizens, but we have various service robots.
    • An artifact or enchantment to represent your group (such as a weapon, or a magical artifact/enchantment to indicate your group's ties to magic) and their values

Design at least two cards to represent your group's response to the stirring conflict.

More soon!!!
  • @HeroKP Are the colours of your bugs intentionally BUG, or is that a coincidence? I assume it's intentional, but I am curious.
  • edited August 2019
    Deleted.
  • Well, here is my faction, the Empire of Duritim, led by current Emperor Gervais

It's close to a totalitarian state, however the people are loyal to their empire and actually accept the laws, which turned it into a military nation with almost every citizen being part of it

They stand behind their emperor and believe their nation to be the embodiment of justice and order, with Gervais as their savior from chaos. Thus they gladly pick up their arms to fight for their empire.

Devoted to spreading justice across the plane, their policy is either assimilate or eradicate. Only rarely are they seen communicating on friendly terms and only if they see the other nation as just. Often, the emperor will be seen on the front lines to personally see their duty done.

To uphold their peace within the nation, eventual rebel organizations are destroyed with brutal efficiency on behalf of the emperor

(more cards/story will probably be added later)
  • @PandaShoop I was waiting for someone to notice that! :D
  • edited August 2019
    Welcome to the island of Zunesha, always roaming, never really there. It is known as a "Phantom Island" due to compasses and such being unable to point to it. It is land to some of the most elite adventuring mercenaries known.

The de facto lord of Zunesha, Jaeger is never really on Plane long enough to "rule" his people. Never seeing himself above his subjects, he lets them go about their days without impediment. Jaeger is a different type of planes-walker, he never acquired a Spark, just the ability to locate and control planar portals. His ideology is to be known as the greatest bounty hunter in all the 'verses...

A bad-ass, plain and simple. Ludus is revered as the greatest sniper to come from Zunesha. She has little care for the lives of others not from her lands, but will fight fiercely to destroy all who impose onto Zunesha.

The Cavaliers of Zunesha are the protectors of the lands. Never to set foot off the Phantom Island.

• Sorry for not being on here for a bit, I was working pretty much all weekend. Huzzah!
  • @MonkeyPirate2002

hmmMMMM interesting. Do you treat this "library zone" as a second library? As in, you can draw from it, search it as if it was your library, etc.?

@kandra127

I like Bhaman's second ability a lot, and I don't often like things that interact with cards outside the game (which are exiled and sideboard cards), but I think that's interesting in this case. Also, its first ability would couple well with Teferi's Time Twist or a control deck running things like Oblivion Ring and Thopter Arrest to discourage their destruction. As a control player, am liking this.

@sanjaya666

Our first culture to brave the Desolate. I think I already know what the first challenge for them is gon' be.

@Vardrus

Make e v e r y t h i n g i n d e s t u c t i b l e .

@spookoops

Fun cards! Does pierce work identically to trample, except you reassign the damage to a target creature as opposed to the defending player/planeswalker? (If that's the case, it might make a tiny bit more sense to have it deal that damage to target creature defending player controls.)

If you can't remove Ludus quickly, then he's gon' be hard to deal with. Without having first strike or double strike on your side, he'll wipe out two creatures each time you block him (assuming pierce works how it appears to).
  • edited July 2019
    @SammySammySon, Pierce works exactly how it is written, you can take out any other creature with its excess damage. I designed it this way, because I have cards that also enrage in my set.

I understand Ludus is a little OP, but she is meant to be the top sniper in her land. Based off a D&D campaign character I am running. She is easily taken out with any type of direct damage.
  • edited July 2019
    @spookoops Mhm, that's why I didn't say she was OP. I almost did then went "Oh, two toughness. She can be taken out pretty easily as long as you can draw your removal or pretty much any burn spell that can target creatures."
  • edited July 2019
    Presenting: The Grove

The Grove is a group of sentient trees and treefolk who have grown angry with the "fleshlings" (any sentient animal life) because of rampant deforestation of their lands.

The Grove is a hotbed of wild magic, which is how (prior to the fleshling issue) all members of the grove were created. (Ties to magic)

The land The Grove controls is mostly forests, with some swampy areas, which are still heavily forested. Because most of The Grove is unable to move, for many, where you are lucky enough to spawn is where you stay, leaving some in less favorable situations. (Citizen)

Their current leader, The Tanglewood, recently took over from the previous ruler in a violent uprising because it had the gall to attempt DIPLOMACY of all things with the fleshlings. The Tanglewood rules with a wooden fist of isolation and hatred towards all fleshlings. (Leader)

Since rising to power, The Tanglewood has begun conducting experiments surrounding how the members of the grove are created, in hopes to create powerful living weapons to enforce its rule and strike back against its hated opponents. Some have been very successful. (Reaction to conflict, weaponry)

If any treefolk even suggest any other way to react to the fleshlings, they are brutally punished, frequently through burning, delimbing, death, and/or exile, with the latter being only used for very lucky cases. If one is not outright killed, they are put on show for all to see, horribly mutilated, as an example. (Reaction to conflict, shelter[?])
  • edited July 2019
    @PandaShoop quick question uh...why does the Tanglewood's text say 10,736 additional creatures..? Is that relevant or..? I'm just asking because I'm confused haha

I really like the Grove. Land creatures are a fun time and I like them, so yeah. The idea of not attacking in exchange for some benefit is quite interesting, and I'm excited to see more of it.

Some suggestions:

The Tanglewood, Exiled Sympathizer, Bog Drinker, and any other land creatures you plan to include should probably have either casting costs or something like Transguild Promenade that says "When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you pay [mana cost]" in order to balance them (matters mostly if you plan to use untap.in when those challenges come along). I personally think they should be cast like creatures so that players can respond to them (playing a land doesn't use the stack), like I did with Elphorycep here. I love land creatures though, and I think the Wizards should do something that involves them as cards rather than just elemental things. Yeet, just some suggestions.
  • @SammySammyson It's just I number I picked randomly. I think your suggestions for the land creatures is a good idea, I'll probably implement that. The only reason I didn't is that the only current existing land creature, Dryad Arbor, has no mana cost, and I figured that was an important piece of the archetype, so I didn't want to mess with it. It does mean balance is impossible, except for the fact that you can only play one per turn. They would be insane in any deck not built around them, because they are essentially free good creatures, so giving them a mana cost in some form is probably necessary. But I'm rambling, so whatever.
  • edited July 2019
    @PandaShoop I didn't even realise a land creature was ever published. Based on it, I guess they'll probably see a "When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you pay [cost]" if the Wizards ever design more of them and need mana costs to balance them.

If you wanted more serious text, you could say "Creatures you control may block any number of creatures."
  • edited July 2019
    @Kandra127 The alliance would like to but 400 intelligent monkeys from you. How many treasure tokens do you need?
This discussion has been closed.