Cardsmith Tournament!

Hello Everyone!

Today your fellow Cardsmiths will be participating in a tournament of extravagant magnitude. Each Round a pair/group will submit cards to match a specific action or criteria. I will then judge those cards and declare a victor to move onto the next round.

Information for Tournament Entrants:
Be sure to bookmark this conversation so you can keep in touch with all results.
Remember that losing does not always mean you are out of the tournament for good.
In case of ties that would leave an entrant with no opponent, one of two things happen:

1- One random entrant will receive a bye (move onto next round with no penalty)
2- A group stage will be placed

Entrants and first Pairings:
-------------------
@Ranshi922 (TIE)
vs.
@SteampunkDragon (TIE)
-------------------
@MonkeyPirate2002
vs.
@Dom_Rocks
-------------------
@Tommia
vs.
@JackDraco
-------------------
@Shadow123 (TIE)
vs.
@HeroKP (TIE)
-------------------
@KorandAngels
vs.
@Stormbreath
-------------------
@Blazin_Biscuit
vs.
@Je_Suis_Oluwa
-------------------
@Termite1
vs.
@Vert
-------------------
@Shmoohawk
vs.
@spookoops
-------------------
@Aggroman15
vs.
@TheWanderer
-------------------
@ASubtleGhost
vs.
@sorinjace
-------------------
@MemoryHead - Bye round (Still create a card for tournament progress)
-------------------

Rewards:
Every round you win, you earn 2 favorites.
Ties will earn each entrant in a pair/group 1 favorite.
Winning the Tournament will grant you 15 Favorites.
Losing a round will not grant any favorites, but could result in your return later on in the tournament.

Now that you know your opponents and the prizes, here is the first rounds card requirement:

Lets start this off with something simple to get you all into the saddle. I want you to create and PM me a creature that would begin this journey, and you know could finish it.

Requirements for Round 1:
Card Type: Legendary Creature
CMC Limit: 5
PM me your creation

Once i have all entries from a pair, i will judge and share result. And then every so often i will update the entrants list to show progress.

Have fun and Happy Smithing!

Comments

• So... we are supposed to PM you our entries, so as not to give references for competitors?
  • Yes, it says just above the requirements for the first round. I will emphasize it.
  • Ok; just making sure I understood properly.
  • @HeroKP May the best card win :)
  • edited October 2019
    Round 1, Results 1:

@Ranshi922
    vs.
    @SteampunkDragon

Task:
    Create a Legendary Creature with CMC limit 5.

Thoughts:
    Adara is a fierce creature who shows up more often and whose power grows with aggressive play. Great job on this.

Paulios is another fierce creature who always gets the first hit. His abilities let him avoid mass combat to single out a single opponent with ease. This replacement is hard to overcome and brings him into a great spot for when he finally decides to work with his allied creatures. Great job.

Results:
    Both of these creatures are very well rounded and quite fearsome. Adara has great potential to become a big hitter, but could still suffer death from it. With a proper structured deck, i could see this being an absolute beast of a card. In addition to that, its abilities are strong but aren't as creative as its competitor, and possibly include a keyword.

Paulios has a nice ability to replace the combat step with a more direct 1v1 creature approach. Allowing him to reduce the enemy numbers, and grow stronger from it. But this also means that he is a huge target for most kill spells. And all that work could be for naught. But apart from that, Paulios will still come out on top due to such a creative way to eliminate specific targets, as well as keeping it balanced. Though a few things were improperly stated, and words forgotten.

Due to my lack of noticing a few mistakes within Paulios i have altered my judgement within this result.

I am going to declare this match a tie for these outstanding reasons:
    1-Adara was not all too creative with abilities, i really did enjoy the flavor text though.
    2-Paulios had grammatical mistakes.

Both leading them to the same place.

So I want to apologize if this is not the results you are looking for, but you both move on with a single favorite. So PM me a card and i will get those favored and await more entries from the remaining contestants.
  • @Norzael

Hold on... this is just being decided on how the creatures would fight one another? Not about regular judging? If I had known that, I would've simply made a creature that can easily kill creatures.

I feel like you should've been more specific...
  • edited October 2019
    Got beaten to asking that question, but I'd also be extremely interested in the answer.
  • No it's about judging. But I put it into a perspective of that since it fit quite well. I still put into judging things like, creativity, structure, grammar, and costs (if any) of abilities.
  • Then I have some things that need to be mentioned on the grammar of Paulios...
  • @Norzael I'm not sure if the fight description is just an interpretation of the quality but I agree with @Ranshi922, cards should be judged by quality, not power level.
  • edited October 2019
    First strike
    You may skip your combat phase. Whenever you do, you may pay {r}{r}{w}{w}. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter Paulios, Squealing Champion and he fights up to one target creature an opponent controls.
    Whenever Paulios attacks, create a 1/1 white Seal Soldier creature token for each +1/+1 counter on him.

First strike
    At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may pay {r}{r}{w}{w}. If you do, end combat and put a +1/+1 counter on Paulios, Squealing Champion. It fights up to one target creature an opponent controls.
    Whenever Paulios attacks, create a 1/1 white Seal Soldier creature token for each +1/+1 counter on it.

Not to mention that all of this is a bit crazy for a 5 cost creature...

(Writing this took a while because I was making sure to check gatherer before making any amendments.)
  • In relation to this incident, I'd like to request that the results of rounds are presented in a fashion that's a little bit more feedback-and-explanation based, if only so that people can see the justification for why they won / lost and we don't get constant repeats of this. Also, I like knowing where I went wrong whenever I do.

I've got nothing against the fight descriptions, but I don't think that they're anything like enough by themselves in some cases, and this round looks like one of them.

• @Ranshi Using You may skip your combat phase is perfectly viable, there are cards out there that specify a player or players skip phases or steps. This just gives him the option to avoid combat before having the choice of activating the ability. Say if you have a creature that is goaded, but don't want it to attack. That'd be a great way to avoid that or similar things.

I guess my brain input the word "on" without seeing that.

And i'm not sure if giving the creature a gender is against standards, but skimming though i notice only Planeswalkers refer to themselves and Him/Her. So in turn I'm not going to count that one as harshly, but itll matter.

And its not a bit crazy, it's just lengthy. Paying 4 mana for a +1/+1 counter and fighting another creature isn't that crazy. Nor is the second ability, which requires you to use the first ability beforehand. I see no problem with this aspect.

I will redo the results once again lol.
  • Cards can specify gender, look at Nicol Bolas, the Ravager.
  • I used Grenzo as a template on account of his thing to +1/+1 counters. Also, it is worth noting that all sparkers are gender worded, but not all legendary creatures are.
  • I also meant the fact that the direct attacking is slightly out of color and allowing him to basically kill whatever creature is a threat.
  • Fight is a R and G mechanic. Mostly green, yes, but also red. Also, i updated the results
  • Fave whatever you want.
  • edited October 2019
    DELeted
    TORA
  • @Vert only legendary creatures can be referred to by their assumed gender. It's rare to see, but it does come up once in awhile, such as the Nicol Bolas card you shown here. I believe gender was represented only with Planeswalker legendaries? But I could be wrong. In fact, I bet I am wrong. I think gender shows on (some) other legendary creatures as well.
  • I made my card.
  • Whoa, any chance I can still join in?
  • In relation to this whole gender thing, only planeswalkers or the double-sided cards that show a 'walker as a creature on one side and a planeswalker on the other (the five from Origins and the Bolas card from M19) refer to themselves by gender.
  • edited October 2019
    Round 1, Results 2:

@Shmoohawk
    vs.
    @spookoops

Task:

Thoughts:
    Akane - A very well rounded card that could be beneficial for most situations. I really like the addition of evoke, it provides versatility, although I'm not sure if it should be capitalized. On the plus side the addition of Bushido is nice and definitely makes it viable.

Vatra - A mono red dragon, with mana ramp. Very interesting creation. I feel the card should be a 5/5 rather than a 6/4 just because of the second ability. With him generating cumulative free mana on each of your precombat main phases, he can get real heavy real fast. Nothing too crucial.

Results:
    Congratulations @Shmoohawk, your card "Akane, The Raging Inferno" is the card that takes the place. Overall i feel this card could be a nice backbone to any deck, but not be too powerful to just have every counter/kill spell used on it. Yes, giving all creatures evoke is pretty good, but it's not good for every creature, so i feel that balances it out quite well. So i am granting this victory to you.

@Shmoohawk , please send me 2 cards you'd like favored in PM.

@spookoops Don't forget to continue following, you can always get a chance at making a reappearance in a later round.

Onto the next Results!

• Round 1, Results 3:

@stormbreath
    vs.
    @KorandAngels

Task:

Thoughts:

Aliene - A simple useful white creature. Both abilities are quite nice, and it's not an absolute target immediately. Yeah, it's pretty easy to get her to two or three +1/+1 counters, but after that, it's gonna take a bit of work turn by turn getting her to be just that much stronger. Good job on this. Quite the card.

Rupture - A Psuedo reverse Hellrider? I'm not seeing much of the appeal of having a 3/6 lifelink first strike creature doing potentially so much damage to it's controller. He doesn't have much of a threat value, and your opponents would just let you keep him so you widdle yourself down in life. Now if this creature was a 6/6 and no first strike, i would say i could understand. That way he actually has a chance to gain what you lose.

Results:
    Congratulations @stormbreath, your card "Aliene, the Fool" takes the cake! I decided this because i really liked the synergy and balance this card has by itself, and how much synergy it could have with some select other cards out there. Also Rupture wasn't exactly on par with that, and i just don't feel like it'd actually see much play due to the imbalances. And don't get me wrong, it's not "weak" per say, but just a bit unbalanced for his own good. I feel @KorandAngels, you were trying to take a safe step, but you should have just inched a bit further.

@stormbreath , please send me 2 cards you would like favored in a PM.

@KorandAngels , please remember to keep up with the discussion, you may make a return visit in later rounds.
  • @Norzael Can we submit an old card?
  • As long as it fits the criteria, yes.
  • edited October 2019
    @MemoryHead I was right? Woah...
  • edited October 2019
    All that stuff was intentional.
This discussion has been closed.