Deck Ideas

Comments

• Esper & Grixis control: Mr Stark I don't feel so good..
  • At least they get some of the temples. Try being a green-red player who wants to play a card with a cost of 2GGGG after rotation.
  • I got 2 copies of Knight of the Ebon Legion today! Let's see how good Knight tribal is going to be in the next standard.
  • Mono. G. Stompy!
  • I recently started remaking some decks for the rotation, and me being a lover of multicolor, I've been having a lot of fun with:

Naya Angels;
    Modified Feather deck to run green as a ramp to slap bigger threats like Sephara and Parhelion II onto the board a lot faster. Also a bit of green flying creature removal and buff spells.

Grixis Land Destruction:
    Probably the cruelest deck I play. Runs a playset of Tectonic Rift, Rubble Reading, Demolish, and Bedeck//Bedazzle. Use Bedeck and Angrath's Rampage to keep early threats off the board, use blue draw and shimmer or possibility stuff to nab your cards, then get to work. For optimal result, pair with Ral and Expansion/Doublecast and Finale of Promise to remove multiple lands at once. Added points for playing leyline of the void so they can't get their lands back.
  • @RohanDragoon
    Those decks sounds fun to play. I'm especially interested in land destruction. I've never played against it.

The deck I'm using in current standard 2020 event is Rakdos deck that built around Priest of Forgotten Gods. Gruesome Menagerie is my favorite in that deck.
  • Got a pretty janky mono-black aristocrats deck for brawl with Ayara, First of Locthwain as commander. Haven't playtested it at all. Here's the decklist:

1 Cauldron Familiar
    1 Bake into a Pie
    1 Revenge of Ravens
    1 Syr Konrad, the Grim
    1 Wishclaw Talisman
    1 Piper of the Swarm
    1 Ayara, First of Locthwain
    1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General
    1 Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted
    1 God-Eternal Bontu
    1 Priest of Forgotten Gods
    1 Bloodsoaked Altar
    1 Vindictive Vampire
    1 Vilis, Broker of Blood
    1 Ill-Gotten Inheritance
    1 The Haunt of Hightower
    1 Font of Agonies
    1 Clackbridge Troll
    1 Witch's Cottage
    25 Swamp
    1 Dreadhorde Invasion
    1 Lotleth Giant
    1 Midnight Reaper
    1 Murder
    1 Bloodthirsty Aerialist
    1 Heraldic Banner
    1 Witch's Oven
    1 Diamond Knight
    1 God-Pharaoh's Statue
    1 Awaken the Erstwhile
    1 Liliana's Triumph
    1 Castle Locthwain
    1 The Cauldron of Eternity
    1 Cauldron's Gift
    1 Festive Funeral
    1 Witch's Vengeance
  • @Mantis17
    Ayara, First of Locthwain should be a fun card!
    Why did you build a 60 cards commander deck btw?

Anyway, if you have Karn, the Great Creator, it's good with Wishclaw Talisman. You can move God-Pharaoh's Statue to side board. And Ugin, the Ineffable makes them cheaper and provide creatures to sacrifice.
  • @Tomigon Brawl is sixty cards. Thanks for the advice btw.
  • Finally broke and used a mythic for Kethis. Created a nice wubrg deck around him that just constantly pumps out walkers and legendary creatures.

For the time that I've been playing, I've noticed that a lot of people will use their removal to get rid of early threats, so the deck uses a lot of powerful low drops (mainly like 2-3 mana legendaries, but also hero of precinct ward and stuff). Loads of players use up their removal on those early drops so late game when I start dropping 2-3 legendaries a turn, you don't have enough removal.

Love Kethis with Vannifar. Constant sac to get your bigger legendary creatures and a way to play back the ones you really like
  • Okay, so, I met somebody on my campus who just started playing Magic a few weeks ago and today he texted me with his first combo deck idea: Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and The Magic Mirror. Basically, you use the two in combination to rip through your deck until eventually you draw while your deck is empty and win. I helped him theorycraft this list from it, and I thought it was worth a share:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2377885#paper
  • edited October 2019
    @RohanDragoon
    That deck sounds really fun! What 2-3 drop legendaries do you run?

@Arceus8523
    Nice! Did you test it? I feel like Contentious Plan would be nice in that deck. It's also a cheap card.
  • I made a disgusting Esper control.. I put 12 life gain lands(WU, UB, WB) so that they trigger Dawn of Hope. It's not that bad but it's super slow.

BR aggro is the deck I mostly use. Weather you win or lose, the game ends quickly so it helps me earn golds in a short time.
  • I don' t know anything about deck design.
  • @KorandAngels
    You use someone's deck or you've never played mtg?
  • @Tomigon

I haven’t tested it yet. I also don’t think Contentious Plan does much. Two mana for a card isn’t great and the only thing you’re typically proliferating is a Jace, which doesn’t feel great when the only thing you’re playing him for really is the static ability.
  • edited October 2019
    @Arceus8523
    You can proliferate The Magic Mirror. One counter on The Magic Mirror means one additional draw in every future upkeep, so it's more than "two mana for a card". And I believe you need Jace's activated abilities too. One additional -2 of Narset is also sweet.
  • @Tomigon

Oh yeah, forgot the mirror uses counters. Any suggestions for potential cuts?
  • @Arceus8523
    I would cut Emry, Lurker of the Loch.
  • @Timigon?

Really? I really like her in this list. Thins the deck and recurs mirrors.
  • edited October 2019
    @Arceus8523
    I know why she is there, but I think there are better cards for this deck. Merfolk Secretkeeper thins the deck too and its tougher and cheaper. If you want to find Mirrors, there are Narset, Shimmer of Possibility, Anticipate...
  • @Tomigon

Right now, I run the following 2-3 legendary drops:
    Tomik, Distinguished Advokist
    Vivien's Arkbow
    Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    Lazav, the Multifarious
    Emmara, Soul of the Accord,
    Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer
    Narset, Parter of Veils
    Ayara, First of Locthwain
    Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    Krenko, Tin Stree Kingpin
    Tibalt, Rakish Instigator
    Vivien, Champion of the Wilds
    Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
    Dovin, Hand of Control
    Teferi, Time Raveler
    Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    Oath of Kaya
    Ashiok, Dream Render
    The Royal Scions
    Judith, the Scourge Diva
    Grumgully, the Generous
    Tajic, Legion's Edge
    Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner
    Kethis, the Hidden Hand

At the absolute worst, each of these is a 2-3 mana target for murderous rider. At the mediocre level, they're each decent 2-3 drop instants or threats that should be addressed. At best, they each provide such distinct abilities that opponents are confused at how to target, thus allowing me to adapt to any type of strategy I need.

Late game, they're all still good, because a Kethis turns them all into 2 drops, so it's easy to by turn 6 or 7 (if the game reaches that stage) to drop 3 or 4 legendaries on the board at once.

It's fun. It takes a long time to set up, so either you die super quick to really good aggro if you can't hit the right lands for early plays, or you get a nice longer game where you control the board.

On a side note, what are your best cards in your BR aggro deck? Aggro is my worst enemy and I tried making a mardu deck for it so I'd be really interested to know what works well!
  • edited October 2019
    @RohanDragoon
    Cool! I really like Lavinia there because Fires of Invention is very popular now. It's good against Nissa too. I would definitely add Fblthp though XD

I don't think there are "best cards" in aggro decks.. Because it's simply a pile of good cards lol. Board wipe spells always make aggro deck cry, so Mardu is perfect for anti-aggro.
  • My decks are just a bunch of cards put together.
  • @KorandAngels
    Those decks are actually fun because you can play many cards!
  • @Tomigon
    I actually shut down my first fires of invention with Lavinia today! And she's also great in case your opponent tries to run Golos
  • I know I'm late, but RoFLMao @Timigon!
  • @Corwonnn
    I just noticed lol
  • Field of the Dead got banned and I'm happy.
This discussion has been closed.