Cardsmith Tournament!

Comments

• Has this stalled?
  • Hello Everyone, I deeply apologize for the delay. I got slammed with meetings at work. We are establishing a new ERP and it is quite gruesome. So I will still be in touch and trying to get results out as quickly as possible. So thank you for being so patient.
  • Round 3, Results 1:

@KorandAngels
    vs.
    @TheWanderer

Task:
    Card Type: Artifact
    CMC Minimum: 6
    Must assist a creature, or creatures, in some manner.

Thoughts:

Stasis Compass - Despite it not being CMC 6 or more, this is a pretty interesting card. Just the equipment being on the field gives all creatures protection from creatures, but it does look a bit sloppy. But due to the CMC not being within range of what it needs to be, KorandAngels will not be moving forward.

The Stormblade - This is a pretty well designed card. The flavor behind it is great, and its quite fluid. I just feel that the counters equal to the toughness of the slain creature is a bit much. Maybe make it a static number rather than that much of a variable. Or make it to where you remove those +1/+1 counters to use the second ability. That way it balances it out.

Results:
    Congrats to @TheWanderer, you move on! @KorandAngels, You had a chance to change your entry and still gave me something that didn't follow criteria. So i'm sorry to say that you are once again knocked out.

@TheWanderer, please send me two cards you'd like favored. I've also just finished favoring your other 5 from my other discussion!
  • @Norzael, have you nothing to say on the matter of the misleading nature of the framing of this round?
  • While I feel like the rules for this round were not actively misleading, I do agree that there should be a little more clarity when framing rules, given that I won the last two rounds through my opponents being disqualified.
  • @TheWanderer This DQ was due to low CMC. Something that IS stated under the criteria. So it was automatically not acceptable.

@Ranshi922 I honestly don't understand how it's misleading. By underlining it i felt it would point it out to people and they would be more inclined to read it, feeling it may be important information, which it was. So it's not my fault when people don't read a post as a whole, or if they don't understand or have questions, but don't ask them. And don't get me wrong, I'll be sure to somehow denote those things in a more noticeable way in the future. Either way, since your opponent has yet to enter their submission you still have the chance at entering a new one.
  • Have you not considered that the number of those who did not notice the mislabeled criteria could very well indicate that the reason you see it as obvious is through a lens of he who wrote the statement?
  • Look, I've already acknowledged that the way it was put into the post wasn't recognizable enough for everyone. But i have also stated that it is still required. 2 of 8 entrants missing this requirement isn't going to make me just change the fact that it's still needed for this round. So please, just submit a new card or edit the current one so whenever I get the remaining submissions I may continue on.
  • @Ranshi922
    I'm not trying to start conflict here, but in Norzaels defence, this is a tournament, where we as cardsmiths try to achieve professional standards. If some people didn't read the whole comment on rules, guidelines and additional notes (which should be followed as close as possible in this kind of setting to ensure the highest chance of you getting through), well then they're just setting themselves back and that isn't the hosts fault.

Also the additional notes section is very clearly underlined and right under the the guidelines section - so it's quite hard to miss in my opinion.

Not only that, but Norzael took the initiative to correct any misunderstandings the participants who entered these cards (also keeping them anonymous), by posting a comment which is very clear of the point they are making (also in bright colours to make it hard to miss and indicating something important) and allowed them to resubmit a new card - so there was no reason any of the DQ cards should've even needed to be judged.

In relation to your comment on the number of people who submitted these cards, there was only two people, out of the eight of us in this round, which I don't believe classifies as enough people to make that kind of comment.

The only thing I would say to @Norzael was that maybe these participants should've been able to have longer to resubmit.
  • @Blazin_Biscuit I've extended Ranshi's since their opponent has yet to make a submission. And Korand had done a resubmission already and it was DQ for a completely seperate reason altogether.
  • Alright... I just need a lot of time to A) find art I can work with, and B) make a balanced card.
  • I actually thought Cmc Minimum was a typo.
  • I feel like the rule breaking is a little bit of both. Some people didn’t read the rules correctly and the rules weren’t stated super clearly.
  • *bump* Still waiting on submissions. If i don't receive them by Thursday at Midnight, I will declare the opponent as victor by default. Just so we can continue this contest.
  • I should move forwards because I thought Cmc minimum was a typo.
  • @KorandAngels You could have always asked about it before entering your submission to verify. Your comment right after the round 3 post made it seem like you had understood very well that it was a minimum cost. Especially with the comment of "I guess you said powerful".
  • I already entered a disqualified card for this round.
  • Round 3, Results 2:

@Blazin_Biscuit
    vs.
    @MonkeyPirate2002

Task:
    Card Type: Artifact
    CMC Minimum: 6
    Must assist a creature, or creatures, in some manner.

Thoughts:

Recapitulation - This is truly a powerful card that emphasizes creature abilities, especially if you can build it up with multiple charge counters. I've been seeing a lot of deck running cards that let triggered abilities trigger additional times. It's something so simple but can be crazy good for most decks. My only concern is the cost of the activated ability. For 1 counter, it's 0. For 2, its 2. 3 is 4. I feel you should add a static generic cost there. Like maybe [2][X]? That way for 1 counter, it would be 2. 2 would be 4. 3 would be 6. So forth and so on. Otherwise, great work on this!

Gift of the Concordat - Quite nice for an artifact with two choices. The second choice lets you give your creatures a second chance. The only things i see odd, is the wording of the second ability. You aren't clarifying the "lesser converted mana cost". Are you referring to the CMC of the discarded card, or the amount of mana you spent to activate the ability? I'd assume to the discarded card, but it isn't described, so i'm not completely certain. but overall, it's still a great card, especially with having a choice.

Results:
    Congrats @Blazin_Biscuit with "Recaitulation"! I found this card to be quite impressive. The way you laid out the ability to be reliant on the cost of X is great. Makes it scale very quick, but i still feel to reiterate that it should have an additional static cost with it so the first 2 and 3 counters can't be placed so easily. As for Gift of the Concordat, i feel that you could have incorporated creatures to both abilities rather than just one. As well as the wording on the second ability is a mouthful and i can't really decide on the CMC issue i described above. Both cards were fantastic though!

@Blazin_Biscuit Please send a PM of the two cards you'd like favored. [Or add them to your pool of favorites until the end, since i know you had wanted to do so.
  • Has my opponent seriously not submitted yet? It's been nearly a week and a half, if not two!
  • I apologize for delay. I had been distracted with work and family. I had made a post saying *bump* Still waiting on submissions. If i don't receive them by Thursday at Midnight, I will declare the opponent as victor by default. Just so we can continue this contest. on last Tuesday (11/12). I apologize again.

@Ranshi922 is winner by default due to such a lengthy wait for submission by @HeroKP.

As well as @Tommia is the winner of his match-up by default due to @MemoryHeads delay.

@HeroKP I know you submitted yours yesterday, but i had already made everyone wait long enough and i did forewarn everyone.

@Ranshi922 and @Tommia please send me two cards you would like favored.

I will begin the structure for round 4!
  • WELCOME TO ROUND 4!

Here is the updated roster!

@Tommia
    vs.
    @Ranshi922

@Blazin_Biscuit
    vs.
    @TheWanderer

Round 4:
    After escaping enemy territory, you make way towards your homeland, artifact in hand. As you arrive, you are greeted with a celebration! People bring you gifts and hold a massive feast in your name for bringing a renowned artifact back to your lands. It's very existence means that the land can be protected without worry of neighboring invaders!

Task:
    Create a card of any color and type which represents your celebration. Be as creative as you want! This can be anything from resembling a feast, or a gift from the nobles. Even as little as your feelings of being home at last.

Guidelines:
    Card Type: Any
    Colors: Any
    CMC Restriction: No Restriction
    Border Restriction: No Restriction (This means silver borders are allowed)
    The card must resemble feelings, gifts, drink, or anything else you'd find at a celebration.

Happy Smithing!
  • edited November 2019
    Sorry about mine. I've been working on too much other stuff to get an entry in (and didn't really have any ideas for the challenge that I thought would be good enough) and just forgot to say that that was the case here.
  • Round 4, Results 1:

@Tommia
    vs.
    @Ranshi922

Task:
    Create a card of any color and type which represents your celebration. Be as creative as you want! This can be anything from resembling a feast, or a gift from the nobles. Even as little as your feelings of being home at last.
    Card Type: Any
    Colors: Any
    CMC Restriction: No Restriction
    Border Restriction: No Restriction (This means silver borders are allowed)
    The card must resemble feelings, gifts, drink, or anything else you'd find at a celebration.

Thoughts:

Hellish Hospitality - The flavor of this card is magnificent! I love that this card is staying true to your Original creations lore and personality. Rather than a celebration with others, you have your own celebration by pretty much just taking over any land you set your eyes on. This is definitely a great game reset with a chance at getting your field back haha. And with plenty of cards to grant players No Maximum Hand Size, this would be one hell of a card.

Toast of the Triumphant - So much flavor! Everything from the Art all the way down to the abilities. This card really feels like a big boost in morale and motivation! You have done a great job with this and it's honestly well balanced. The versatility is great, and any combination of options feels just as powerful as another.

Results:
    Congrats @Ranshi922 with "Toast of the Triumphant"! Your card spoke many different levels of celebration and it was truly a great piece. @Tommia , As i said above, yours was also a great way to represent your characters personal celebration and I fully acknowledged this in judging. It was definitely a hard decision between the two, but I felt Ranshi922 came out a bit higher.

Congrats @Ranshi922 ! Please send me a PM of 2 cards you would like favored!

@Blazin_Biscuit Please send me your submission as soon as you can.

• GG Everyone. I do think Tsurszaza might be too busy to participate anyways XD
  • Whichever 2.
  • @Blazin_Biscuit, @TheWanderer, @Norzael, you guys ready to move on?
  • edited November 2019
    Blazin_Biscuit has been unresponsive, hasn't been on since the 18th. Norzael also hasn't been on for 3 days.
  • I submitted my entry a while ago...
  • Hello all, i apologize for the delay. Holidays and such. If i don't receive an entry from the last entrant by today i will do one of two things which i will let the remaining three decide.

1 - DQ entrant and replace them with someone who lost in a previous round.
    2- DQ entrant and move onto final three
This discussion has been closed.