Theorycrafting Challenges: Request commanders here for future challenges! (Feedback appreciated)

edited November 2019 in Off-topic Chat
Hello fellow cardsmiths, myself am looking to build custom commander decks to bring out to a meet up with other cardsmiths. As such, myself want your recommendations of commanders for possible decks.

In addition, myself am planning on hosting theorycrafting challenges for some of those cards as commanders.

What are the requirements to enter? (All you have to do, is post a suitable commander or pairing of commanders.)
1) The commander(s) can't require other custom cards in the deck.
2) The commander(s) must be balanced for commander.

Update: Please post no more than three commander pairings each day! This is to prevent flooded entries and promote comments on individual cards.

Crediting the Artist: Myself require all entries to this thread to include the artist credited on the card.

"That's basically all that needs mentioning, except for how these challenges will work."

-----------------------------

Theory crafting challenges will generally have favorites, follows and if popular enough, premium prizes.

For upcoming theorycrafting challenges, to participate, do any of the following...
1) Post comments thinking of individual or group of cards that could help the deck.
2) Post a decklist from your thoughts on the custom commander card.
3) Leave feedback on anything discussed in the comments.

Happy smithing and thanks for reading!

Are you ready to assemble the pieces of the puzzle?

Also, make sure to check out a friend of us' contest, over here.
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Comments

• If you feel this isn't an interesting challenge idea or dislike it, please leave feedback! All feedback is helpful in the process of experimenting.
  • Here's a few commanders I like that I think you'd have no problem building without custom cards and that are balanced for about a 7 or 8 power level.

• If you want a real commander, I had an idea for converting my Primal Genesis deck into a Marisi, Breaker of the Coil Turn combat in your favour deck.
  • edited November 2019
    @KorandAngels
    Sorry, this is for custom commanders only. If you'd like to deck build for existing WotC cards, that would be best done in one of the past threads for this subject.

The main reason this challenge concept is viable, is it's harder to copy/paste existing deck lists. As such, it wouldn't make sense to allow purely real cards as commanders.
  • edited November 2019
    That is sensible. I like making commanders, but they're all rubbish.
    (I could post Artiel, but you already saw him.)
    (Hata, Tata and Kata might actually work on your Gwen deck thing.)
  • edited November 2019
    Update is being made to the main post to state you can post up to three commander pairings each day, from now on.
  • @Kingtalk
    Sorry, but all of your cards in your fist post have no credited artist. Hence myself can't accept them into this group of challenges. This is required since myself will need to reprint these in MSE for various reasons.

In addition, myself don't accept entries with unaccredited artists in all my contests/challenges. Myself will edit the main post to clarify this rule.
  • Vel-Fetr, gods of unity and protection of the masses, have come to intervene.

imageimage

Will likely get minor cost increases, but here they are for now
  • edited November 2019

this is imho the perfect selesnya commander and is already available on untap.in for your deckbuilding pleasure

Some fun and simple boros highjinks
  • edited November 2019
    @Credius
    Looks like a great choice, myself will only make one change to the reminder text. To clarify it happens as it enters the battlefield, if it's one of the ones used.

Or change it to a trigger.
  • Bumpidy bump!
  • @Credius
    Do myself have permission to remake your commander in MSE, with the fixed first ability as a ETB? The Selesnya one that is.
  • @murketins, you mean with the errata for the reminder text? No that's fine, if possible, could you message me the finished version? I might want to put it in untap xD
  • No problem, will do so later.
  • edited November 2019
    Do these count?
    image image
  • edited November 2019
    Cool!

Here's another pair:
    image image
    "Duo" is a custom mechanic that does something when you control two of your commanders.
    Alzaric's purpose is to change the tax on his partner from "plus {2}" to "minus {1}."
  • Put new borders on all four (which took time to relocate artwork)!
  • edited November 2019
    Thanks a ton. Am looking to collect three commander pairings to start up the challenges again and am looking to collect more so myself have options to make sure we have a variety of archetypes/themes in that challenge.

Edit: @everyone
    Brew your own commander! challenge (Looking for commanders to print and play with!)
  • If you want this challenge to continue, please leave a comment saying so.

Otherwise, myself am closing this due to issues with printing manufacturers.
  • If anyone's still interested in creating commander cards, pleas put your efforts here:
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4870/commander-cube#latest
    Thanks!
  • Just am gonna drop one of my favorite cards that could be a commander.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/pederan-dark-mage
  • @murkletins, so you said they can’t require other custom cards in the deck. Are other custom cards allowed in the deck?
This discussion has been closed.