Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

That was a good challenge. Another box?
  • Hello? Anyone? Lmao
  • @Dizzydude Your Quick Mystery Box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a Rhino creature card.
  • edited November 2019
    Mystery Boxers, we have encountered a problem.

I've been "away" because I've been constructing this encounter. For those of you who do not know what an encounter is:
    1) It acts as an additional challenge for your mystery box challenge.
    2) Completing your mystery box challenge while meeting the criteria of the encounter's challenge guarantees you a prize in your next Mystery Box.
    3) The encounter lasts as long as it needs to until a series of cards have been created that will bring the encounter to its end.

A colossal, mythical monster by the name of Gijirzo arose from the depths of the Mystery Box Sea in March of 2018. This was our first Mystery Box encounter. With the help of your cleverly created cards, we were able to put the beast to rest. Not too long after, the Mystery Box plane had its second problematic encounter when torrential rainstorms engulfed the plane, flooding it from end to end. The result was that we all had no choice but to create cards that cost blue mana until the rains finally ceased. Since then, the Mystery Box plane has been quiet, until now.

Encounter: Princess Sophia
    One of the Mystery Box plane's most notorious princesses, Princess Sophia has gone missing. She disappeared 4 days ago. For years, she was beloved until she was found to be the carrier of a deadly plague virus, one that could spread to every Human on the plane. She's been isolated in a secluded region of the Mystery Box plane, fenced in by magical boundaries: nothing could get in or out... or so we all thought. It appears some being has managed to break through the boundary and capture the princess. This is not good. Wherever she is now, nobody has been infected with her virus. There are a few suspects that could have done this. If we are going to find the Princess and save the plane, we must first determine who took her. Then we can locate her, rescue her, and return her to her home - away from civilization.

Objectives: These must be complete to end the encounter.
    1) Determine the culprit.
    2) Capture the culprit.
    3) Locate and quarantine the princess.
    4) Rescue the princess.

Criteria: These are the additional challenges when creating your Mystery Box card. These are progressive, so right now we are only doing #1.
    1) Create cards that investigate, search, look, or cycle through your library, hand, or graveyard. (The clues to learning more about each suspect and determining which one is the culprit are in our library. We just need to make cards that, like in a Magic game, find the cards we need. With each card we create that meets this criteria, you can ask a question about a suspect or piece of evidence from the case.)
    2) Create cards that interrogate, capture, imprison, or subdue the culprit. (Once we know who the culprit is, we'll have enough information to know where they are. We'll need the cards to stop the culprit and "politely" ask them where Princess Sophia is.)
    3) Create cards that safely rescue the princess from where she is and return her home.

Here are the suspects:
    1) A murderous Zombie clown by the name of Art. His motives include an utter hatred for the living. He gets a kick out of watching people suffer and then murdering them while they are suffering. Capturing the princess would mean he can go on a worldwide killing spree. As everyone around her falls ill, he'd be there to finish the job. He is already dead, so he wouldn't be infected with the virus. This very special guy lives in any graveyard he can find, often marking his territory in... notable ways. Art is specifically a suspect in the princess's disappearance because his last known whereabouts place him in the area near the princess's home, but there has been no sign of him in the past month.

2) A Human researcher by the name of Io. Io believes she will be the last Human alive on the plane because everyone will fall ill and die from a mysterious illness. Every day, she prophesizes this, and engages in mental exercises to prepare her for the end of the world. One can say she is demented and suffers an extreme amount of anguish every day. She lives in a lab she built on an isolated and forested island, but recent reports say there has been no sign of her on the island in the recent weeks. A captain on a passing vessel claims to have seen a weird shimmer on the island. As he approached to investigate, he quickly steered his vessel away when he claims he saw a flock of wyvern fly directly into an invisible wall. When the boundary surrounding the princess's home was created, the local aerial wildlife was known to have similar difficulties learning to navigate it in the weeks following its creation. Io has quickly become a likely suspect.

3) A brilliant wizard and former best friend of the princess, Susannah would seem to be the least likely culprit. That was until her family reported she'd gone missing a week or so before the princess disappeared. She's apparently been spending extra time on her spells, becoming obsessed with understanding everything she can about "immortality."

4) Thoth, God of Wisdom: a God you say? There are things that we must consider. No one has claimed to have seen Thoth in over 1,000 years. The only artifact that hints this God existed is The Book of Thoth. It's said to contain all his knowledge, but has forever been indecipherable. Whenever anyone tries to translate the book, that person falls ill and death usually follows as a result. The symptoms of the illness are very similar to the ones caused by the virus the princess carries. The book was stolen from the museum where it was kept. Stealing this item wasn't easy. Five security guards stood watch every night, guarding a shrouded case. Nearly 10 days ago, a worker found the gruesomely mangled remains of these five security guards spread out all over the floor with no trace of Thoth's Book. The theory is that Thoth got his book back and with his knowledge was able to break through the magical boundary and capture the princess. His motive would be that he knows the nature of the princess's virus since it's somehow "encoded" into his book. Beyond this, the theory runs dry.

5) Ancient Aliens Conspiracy theorists couldn't resist jumping on this suspect. We've all started to take this idea a little more seriously though. Inexplicably, a growing number of grave exhumations were taking place. In many cases, strange lights were seen over the area the nights before the exhumations were discovered. These occurred worldwide and have completely ceased since the princess disappeared. Additionally, these same lights were reported in the area surrounding the princess's home in the days before her disappearance. Many claim to have seen these lights up close and swear on their mothers' graves (no pun intended) that they were alien spaceships.
  • edited November 2019
    Mystery Box Prize List
    Mystery Box Prize List
    Please note that the Community Box prize list has only "Prize#12: The Doozie" and "Prize #122" revealed. The prize #'s are 0-144.

0. In your batch, no one will get their prizes, but everyone can create a card for as many of the challenges as they'd like. They must post all cards they decided to create before requesting their next box.
    1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. Two favorites of my choice -or- one of your choice
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. Choose a name. A randomly chosen box in the next batch will have a challenge that is also to create a card of the chosen name.
    11. ?
    12. ?
    13. ?
    14. ?
    15. Two favorites of my choice
    16. Five favorites of your choice
    17. ?
    18. ?
    19. Three favorites of your choice
    20. ?
    21. ?
    22. Create a Community Mystery Prize
    23. Open the Community Mystery Box.
    24. ?
    25. ?
    26. ?
    27. ?
    28. Create a Weekly Challenge. This challenge will be posted at the top of the Mystery Box prize batches for 1 week. Anyone who creates a card for their Mystery Challenge that also satisfies the parameters of the Weekly Challenge will have the option to open a Community Mystery Box for their next box.
    29. ?
    30. Two favorites of your choice
    31. ?
    32. 1 favorite for every box with a prize this batch
    33. ?
    34. ?
    35. Choose a color. A randomly chosen box in the next batch will have a challenge that is also to create a card of the chosen color.
    36. Favorites on your two most recently created cards
    37. ?
    38. ?
    39. ?
    40. ?
    41. ?
    42. One favorite for every box with a prize in this batch
    43. ?
    44. ?
    45. ?
    46. ?
    47. Name any revealed, unnamed Mystery Box prize.
    48. ?
    49. Create an encounter
    50. 3 favorites of my choice + 1 of your choice
    51. ?
    52. ?
    53. ?
    54. Favorites on your three most recently created cards
    55. ?
    56. ?
    57. ?
    58. ?
    59. ?
    60. ?
    61. ?
    62. Pick a set of 10 prize #'s; You get 1 prize at random from that set.
    63. Favorites on your five most recently created cards
    64. ?
    65. ?
    66. 4 favorites of my choice -OR- 2 of your choice
    67. ?
    68. Gifted Premium
    69. A randomly chosen box in the next batch will have a challenge that is to create you.
    70. ?
    71. ?
    72. ?
    73. Make a Daily Challenge
    74. ?
    75. The Mystery Box Avatar
    76. 2 favorites of my choice + 1 of your choice
    77. Reveal an unrevealed prize from either prize list
    78. 3 favorites of my choice + 2 of your choice
    79. Create a new way to open the Community Mystery Box.
    80. ?
    81. Reveal an unrevealed prize from the Mystery Box prize list.
    82. Reveal an unrevealed prize from the Mystery Box prize list. You get that prize.
    83. Reveal an unrevealed prize from the Mystery Box prize list. You get to name that prize.
    84. Reveal an unrevealed prize from the Mystery Box prize list. You get to name that prize and you get that prize.
    85. ?
    86. Reveal an unrevealed prize from the CMB list; you name the prize.
    87. ?
    88. ?
    89: Revise any one challenge of your choice in this batch to make it a better challenge.

Mystery Boxes

@Fantastickill7 You chose to reveal and name Prize 19, which is "Three favorites of your choice". You get to rename this prize from "Three favorites of your choice" to anything you want [Insert name of prize here]. Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that's blue and red.

@Shmoohawk Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that's ability starts with "As [insert name of card] comes into play, choose a color."

@Termite1 Your mystery box contains:
    - 47: Name a Mystery Box Prize. (You get to name any revealed, unnamed prize from [its current name] to anything you want [Insert new name of prize here]).
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a common artifact.

@Faiths_Guide Yes, you've decided to reveal, rename, and receive prize number 89, which is "Revise any one challenge of your choice in this batch to make it a better challenge." You get to rename this prize from "Revise any one challenge of your choice in this batch to make it a better challenge" to anything you want [Insert name of prize here].

@Ranshi922 Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card with a tricolored identity.

@JoeMoose Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card with the word instead in its ability text.

@sorinjace Your community mystery box contains:
    - Community Prize 122: 1 favorite for every box in this batch without a prize (= 5 favorites of your choice)
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that has an ability that starts with "Whenever you cast an".

@Amnorasmus Your mystery box contains:
    - 22: Create a Community Mystery Prize. There are currently 2/145 Community prizes revealed. A Community prize can be anything you want to think of. Just PM me a thought for a prize and we'll go from there.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that meets the criteria of part 1 of the Princess Sophia Encounter.

@nardolphin Your mystery box contains:
    - 86: Reveal an unrevealed prize from the Community Mystery Box Prize List. You get to name that prize any name you want. (The only two prizes revealed are #22 and #122. Your options are 0-144. Please choose one.)
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create an altered version of Stonecoil Serpent that costs {X}{X} to cast instead of {X}.

@ManaChrome Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a 6-mana, common, mono-green creature.

@TheWanderer Your mystery box contains:
    - 30: Two favorites of your choice
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a Legendary Creature with the letter "z" in its name.

@twighlight8 Your mystery box contains:
    - 73: Make a Daily Challenge: This challenge will be supplementary to the next batch of mystery boxes. Everyone who creates a card for their mystery box challenge that also meets the requirements for your Daily Mystery Challenge will guarantee a prize in their next box.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a creature that becomes Monstrous.
  • @jpastor
    I'll get right to it.
    Do I get 3 favs of my choice?
    prize 19: a follow, if already following a favorite of their choice.
  • @jpastor 'a card that is blue and red'
  • @Fantastickill7 more like rename three favorites to "Fantastikill's Faves". You arent changing the prize. Just giving it a name as if it were a magic card.
  • @jpastor
    So I could change my prize to five faves of my choice for example?
  • Was that my encounter?
  • why don't you just call it "Fantastickill's Faves"
  • @jpastor
    A quick box please.
  • @jpastor
    I'm gonna get in line for a quick box
    My daily challenge is:
    Create a card (any type) that can get itself back from the graveyard.
  • @Faiths_Guide more like name the prize listed. You arent changing the prize. Just giving it a name as if it were a magic card. It's not 5 faves. See the mystery box prize list #89 and just give it a name.

"Create a Legendary Creature with the letter 'z' in its name."

A couple of things that I want to make sure are okay: I used MTG.Design because I feel like it gives a more polished-looking card, and I chose not to do the encounter challenge (though I suppose it would work for part #2 if that was the current one).

If everything is in order, I'd like another box at some point please (also what exactly is a 'quick box?').
  • edited November 2019
    @Dizzydude Your Quick Box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a permanent with flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)

@Fantastickill7 Got it. Your Quick Box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a common creature.

@TheWanderer A quick box is one that I can make on the go. It is exactly the same as a regular box, but the prize list is only favorites. Your mystery box contains:
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that puts or uses divinity counters.
  • @jpastor -Create a common creature.
  • edited November 2019
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that has an ability that starts with "Whenever you cast an".

For my five favorites (I think that is the prize? I'm still a little confused on that) I looked through my cards and tried to guess which ones you would get a kick out of, so here is the 5 choices:

1.) https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mentos-the-freshmaker
    2.) https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/snipcaster-mage-2
    3.) https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/spineless-fraudster
    4.) https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/avian-freedom-fighter
    5.) https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/eden-puppet-master (You faved this one originally but I lost all 67 of the favorites it had before I had to change the art.)

Requesting for another mystery box, @jpastor :)
  • @sorinjace
    That should have been a legendary enchantment creature, right?
  • edited November 2019
    @jpastor
    Oh? Ok, let's name it "Gotcha?"
  • @jpastor can I have another box please?
  • Mystery box please :D
  • @jpastor I'll just put my name up for a mystery box!

"Create a card that puts or uses divinity counters."

I'd like another mystery box, please.
This discussion has been closed.