Self-Destruct **Circuit Challenge**

124»

Comments

• edited November 2019
    Feedback on the Feedback from Tomigon.

Yuriko’s Deception by Lastjustice

It's a card that probably needs a few more tweaks as I was trying do something that was outside of the box. It's hard come up with the correct wording when there's few cards to model after the desired effect. It's a combo engine , so I am sure there's dozens of ways to easily break it if you happen have those cards, but given you lose your graveyard and hand it makes it trickier to set up. I will need rethink this one in anycase.

"Astral Sphere by LastJustice
    This doesn’t seem like a healthy card for any format. Creatures can attack you and deal damage, but you can draw cards and gain control of those creatures. That’s not a fair trade. I think this stops your opponent’s attack until you draw a win con or an opponent draws an enchantment removal. And most deck usually doesn’t have enchantment removal from main deck."

It doesn't steal the creature until after combat(So if you're dead you steal nothing.), so if you're low on health, they can still kill you in a single attack ending the game (or removing you from it if it's a multiplayer game which you'd immediately become the target if you played this card.) or wait till the next attack is lethal. The player who controls it can't cast spells from their hand so it's not as if they can just draw tons of answers and use them immediately. If you don't have cards with flashback or other abnormal ways of playing cards besides from hand you can't interact with much. The whole thing is just a stall card. You get people back off while you get answers , then sack when you have a chance comeback. If you're already getting beat down , it won't save you. You'd be better off running proganda or ghostly prison in that instance.

As for someone not playing answers for it in their main deck and losing...I wouldn't feel sorry for that decision. Even when I play standard I run a couple universal answer cards main deck, if someone can easily beat you with a noncreature permanent and shut you out of a game...that sounds like you deck building problem not an issue for the card that hosed you. (especially if this card was common in the format) If a single card wrecks you, then you should be main boarding against it or accept you have a bad match up when faced with it. I made it both an enchantment and an artifact so most colors can remove it. If you aren't playing a mono black deck, there's no reason you can't deal with it. There's plenty of cards that can easily handle it even in the current standard. It's fine if you don't like the card, but I feel your assessment is incorrect with how this card functions and could be handled.

Shamanic Frenzy by LastJustice
    I would make a deck with 4 copies of this and 56 lands, including as many utility lands as possible! XD
    The effect is very powerful. The number of cards in your hand keeps increasing. I don’t think the last ability would be activated so often.

Again I feel like your thought process in assessing my design is entirely too linear. Only thing you can think of is playing all lands you missed the point. Hyper specialized decks are super fragile to any removal/counter magic. Unless there's some really good utility in the format you don't have a fast way to win. You're more likely deck yourself than win the game that turn.(Barring there isn't some sort of maze's end card.) You'd be at 6 health, and if your opponent has any kind of burn you are just dead. The reason you'd axe the card is so once you have a major lead, you could play whatever win conditions in your deck without fear of discarding them. (or play madness cards.) There's more application here than just building all lands decks, even if people would probably do that to some extent.

Mambu by Sorijace "Deathtouch on 9/9 is pointless"

This is completely false. If it has trample...which it does, you only need assign 1 damage to any blockers thrown in front of it regardless of how much toughness they have or any keywords that allow them to survive the damage. This makes it difficult to prevent the damage from getting thru.

Either way I had fun trying come up with more crazy ideas whether they won or not.
  • edited November 2019
    @Lastjustice
    So you do think Astral Sphere is a stall card. That's the point that I think it's problematic. The deck that runs Astral Sphere is definitely control deck. They have planeswalkers, utility lands that can generate values, and those aren't abnormal at all. Opponents are forced to put out many creatures on board because they need lethal. That's not how you play against control decks. Control decks have board wipe. Usually if you play against a deck that has board wipe, you put out only two or three creatures. Propaganda and Ghostly Prison are totally fine, because you can easily pay mana for those two or three creatures.
    "if someone can easily beat you with a noncreature permanent and shut you out of a game..."
    That kind of noncreature permanent shouldn't exist. WotC will never print Moat in a standard legal set.

So you play standard? I do too. Fires of Invention, Witch's Oven, Lucky Clover are very popular, but I will never put enchantment/artifact removal in my RG aggro from main.

4 Shamanic Frenzy and 56 lands was a joke. (Though I still think it's possible, especially with the London mulligan.)
    Casting spells also lets you draw, because "cast" is included in "play". You draw something you don't know, and you discard something at random. That comes out even and not a drawback.

You are right about deathtouch. I wasn't thinking about it with trample.
  • edited November 2019
    Congrats @Winners and other @Mentionables! Thanks for the fun contest, @Tomigon.

Agreed on Voracious Fiend. I was worried about his power-level and didn't thinnk I should build-in more versatility. Thanks for feedback on everything, nice work!
  • So you do think Astral Sphere is a stall card. That's the point that I think it's problematic. The deck that runs Astral Sphere is definitely control deck. They have planeswalkers, utility lands that can generate values, and those aren't abnormal at all. Opponents are forced to put out many creatures on board because they need lethal. That's not how you play against control decks. Control decks have board wipe. Usually if you play against a deck that has board wipe, you put out only two or three creatures. Propaganda and Ghostly Prison are totally fine, because you can easily pay mana for those two or three creatures.

Again I don't feel your assessment is accurate. If you are beating the stuffing out a control deck, you easily could have them low enough in health that casting astral sphere is useless and won't help you. It's 6 mana, and probably requires a board wipe be cast before it is. Otherwise someone is just going build up the remaining damage and just end the game. Yes if someone board wipes and has a bunch of walkers out, they will probably win....but they likely would have won anyways because thats how controls run regardless of Astral sphere being out. That's just how control wins period. If you get boardwiped and your opponent has multiple walkers out, and they are no where near dead...you probably should be scooping either way. To keep playing is just poor time management in a tournament.

I created the card honestly with commander in mind, ans there's plenty of games where ghostly prison/propaganda has done more to stop me from overrunning my opponents than something like Astral sphere would. I can craterhoof that player dead still...I can not always do that and paid attack wtih all my creatures. It does nothing stop a combo player from kill them either.

So you play standard? I do too. Fires of Invention, Witch's Oven, Lucky Clover are very popular, but I will never put enchantment/artifact removal in my RG aggro from main. That's a deck building choice you are making, likely be to be hyper focused on being an aggro deck. I pack answers so I don't get easily shut down as I like having some back up plans. I played standard up till rotation as I haven't jumped back in since Oko was running amok. (he got banned so we will see about getting back in depending on what comes out in the next set.) Even in my red/green dinosaur deck I played Thrashing Brontodon, which is a creature and means of removing enchantment/artifacts. (Which got reprinted in M20) I see no reason you can not have a few universal answers in your deck, especially in red and green. If I am playing white I run whatever O ring version is in standard in the main. (which banishing light is coming back.) I might only have 3-4 of them in the main, but I have potential answers prior to sideboarding.

4 Shamanic Frenzy and 56 lands was a joke. (Though I still think it's possible, especially with the London mulligan.)

Fair enough. Without any kind of indicator of that you can understand why I might see that as completely dismissive?

You draw something you don't know, and you discard something you don't know. That comes out even and not a drawback.

I guess that's where you and I have very different definitions of even. I despise chaos when I am trying make plans. Why I loathe cards that create it in group games. Not all cards are created equal, and some cards are better than others. To go 1=1 is not true at all. You easily could be dumping what you need and drawing dead cards. I suppose if you are playing an extremely redundant aggro deck, any small creature is as good as the next. Not every deck is going be cool with just flinging whatever. (Especially in commander where you only get 1 of something.) I suppose whatever deck that would include this card probably would be totally geared toward exploiting it, and dealing with throwing away alot of stuff in the process. I was trying come up with a new spin on the old school recycle https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397573 , so that was my inspiration for a more radical take on that.

• @Lastjustice
    I didn't forget that Astral Sphere is 6 mana and opponent can win before you put out Astral Sphere. I've never said that card is over powered. I said it's unhealthy, because I think it's not fun, and it's an enchantment. If you think this card is fun, and imagined an environment that removing enchantments is not that difficult, then you succeeded in this design. Sorry that I was the judge. I just don't like enchantments that can stall the game like that okay? lol

Sorry that 56 lands thing made you feel bad. I thought you would enjoy crazy deck idea, just like you enjoy crazy cards.
    I don't think Shamanic Frenzy creates such a big chaos in your hand. You draw a card and discard a card at random. If you draw a good card and it immediately goes to your graveyard, you can just forget it. If you draw a good card and it remains in your hand, you should cast that card next, so that you don't need to discard it.
  • @tomigon thats...kinda the point of vows. That's like saying Experimental Frenzy isnt a downside because you just put low cost things in your deck. It's a deckbuilding restriction.
  • @fiskerton
    Let me change my words.
    “You and other permanents you control have hexproof” is way too good for a 1 mana enchantment. So the drawback part should be something that harms you. Forbidding your creatures to attack doesn't cost you anything. Try to come up with an effect that puts you in danger.
    Or you can simply make the card expensive. Considering Shalai, Voice of Plenty, Leyline of Sanctity are both 4 mana, I think your card should cost at least 3 mana.

• edited November 2019
    I didn't forget that Astral Sphere is 6 mana and opponent can win before you put out Astral Sphere. I've never said that card is over powered. I said it's unhealthy, because I think it's not fun, and it's an enchantment. If you think this card is fun, and imagined an environment that removing enchantments is not that difficult, then you succeeded in this design. Sorry that I was the judge. I just don't like enchantments that can stall the game like that okay? lol

Okay that's not what I was debating. It's azorius, fun is never the word I'd describe it heh. I rarely play blue. Some people like stax decks or prison decks, but that's not my defination of fun. Being fun and a card working as intended are two very different things. We both agree it works as it was intended and isn't overpowered then that's that. As I said you don't like it that's fine. My feedback is about function not taste. I wouldn't play it myself because I don't like people stealing my stuff, but I create cards I'd never play all the time for the purposes of contests. (Basically 90% of the blue cards I make.) I challenge myself make cards outside of cool legendary creatures with tons of keywords and other fun things to turn sideways and make players take damage heh.

Sorry that 56 lands thing made you feel bad. I thought you would enjoy crazy deck idea, just like you enjoy crazy cards.

I am fine with jokes or crazy concepts, just I wasn't expecting it during a what I was expecting as constructive criticism phase of the contest without any hint that I was supposed to receive as such. Given rest of my feedback was completely serious it was an unexpected tonal shift. I'm sure if I heard you say with sarcasm out loud I'd picked up on that, but it's easy to miss tone with text. Why I generally make it very clear when i am joking to avoid miscomunications.

I don't think Shamanic Frenzy creates such a big chaos in your hand. You draw a card and discard a card at random. If you draw a good card and it immediately goes to your graveyard, you can just forget it. If you draw a good card and it remains in your hand, you should cast that card next, so that you don't need to discard it.

Depends on what the cards are, sometimes you need sequence (such as storming off) what you're doing or might need bait out their answers. Ultimately this feels like something I'd need build an actual deck to playtest to truly get the grasp of how best to balance it as it's such an unwieldly card. I suppose it just might be as clear cut as slam it, play everything you can, win the game. There's plenty of cards that basically are that so very possible.

• Congrats to all the winners and mentionables! Circuit Points have been awarded!
  • @Tomigon - Thank you for hosting this fun contest and for your feedback. I wasn't even thinking about butchering control decks with my entries, I just wanted them to be as chaotic as possible! And the reason Sworn Pale-Knight has the exile ability is that you can relieve it from duty and make them leave, which you can activate as they are blocking a creature, so you won't lose life as the creature becomes blocked.
  • @Tomigon
    Thank you for hosting the contest and providing feedback

Regarding Ichorous Lotus:
    This card went through a major edit. When making it, I was going for more of a "theme-first" approach, which is probably why the original seemed a little under-powered and the update is a little over-powered.

Regarding Bookish Animation:
    One card? Maybe, personally I think two is reasonable.You're burning through your deck faster and manifest (unless you are running "return target creature to owner's hand" cards) is only really useful for creatures. Odds are, for most decks, if you manifest a land or non-creature spell, you're not getting that back.

Regardless, thanks again for your feedback, and the contest as a whole.
  • @TenebrisNemo
    I see. But an indestructible 2/2 blocker can absorb so much damage. If you would want to exile it to not to lose only 2 life, I think that's when your life is very very low, and opponents are aggressive. You are probably not going to win that game.

@theran_baggins
    Even if it manifests only non-creature cards, you get at least two 2/2s every turn. I know you can't draw, but this is how I think- it turns every card in your deck into "Manifest the top two cards of your library." Even land cards and weak cards for early game are now give you two 2/2s. I think that's too good for a 3 mana enchantment that you can destroy it for only 3 mana.

@Everyone
    Thank you so much for participating! I really enjoyed this! Feel free to send me message if you want to discuss about your cards.
This discussion has been closed.